Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-18-2002, 09:57 AM

Default 2 tapes, 1 Adat

O.K. I'm trying to take two adat tapes and put them on the cpu in protools. The client wants to mix in cakewalk. He would like to have a cd with wav files so he can import them into his program..

Problem is the 001 only has one lightpipe. Is there a way to get both tapes to the 001 through digital transfer and have them start at exactly the same sample?

I know I can line them up, but that would only work if he was using Protools.

I know that it will work if I run 8 adat in and 8 analog in, but I don't want to do that unless absolutely necescary.

Cool,
Keny
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 10-18-2002, 10:10 AM

Default Re: 2 tapes, 1 Adat

Well....hard question. We use the Adat Brc to lock them together with Midi Clock, but we always recorded on Adats using bars & beats to make situations like yours easy to work around. I'll check for an answer.

Download free music at
http://www.nukmusic.com
nEVER uNDERESTIMATE kNOWLEDGE
Old 10-18-2002, 11:04 AM

Hi Keny-
When I first got into PT, I, too was down to only one ADAT with several years of 16 to 32 track projects to transfer, so I've done quite a bit of this.
While it makes life a bit easier if you have a common click/noise/event that is present on each tape, I fount it to be a pretty easy process lining up multiple passes by sight and sound without it.
I grouped each pass of 8 as they went down and slid them around til they fit.
Low tech, but it worked.

Good luck-
Old 10-18-2002, 03:31 PM

It's quite easy to add a reference tick to multiple ADAT tapes with a single machine. Use the "auto punch" function. Find a spot that is unneeded on the tape and set an auto punch to occur at an exact time. As an example, you might set your punch-in time to 0:00:10.00 and a punch-out time to 0:00:11.00. Then run a steady tone into the ADAT and execute the auto punch. You'll have a tone that lasts exactly one second starting at 0:00:10.00. Now do exactly the same to your next tape using the exact same punch-in/out times and you'll have the same mark at the same time on both tapes.

Run the tapes into PT, line them up using the reference tone made above. Once they're lined up, trim them to all the exact same start and end points. If you're a real perfectionist you might even apply a very short fade to the beginning and ends of the newly trimmed regions so the .wav files you're about to create won't "pop" at the beginning or end of the file. Then select all the regions and export selected as files.

That's all there is to it. I've done this a couple of times for 2 and 3 tape ADAT projects. I've only got one ADAT myself, but auto-punch saves the day!

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2
- PreSonus Studio 24c
- MBox 3 Mini
- Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Behringer X32 Producer
- PT 2018.12 (vanilla)
- Various USB2/3 and Firewire hard drives
Old 10-19-2002, 12:08 AM

JMS40's technique works. This is the way I did it. If PT had a real SMPTE ruler and you have a datasync or MTP-AV this is really easy.

If you don't have that then record what is called a one shot across all the tracks at the same time. That would be 16 tracks of a single snare hit or click or something like that. Then transfer them 8 at a time, group the 8 and then slide them around until the one-shots lineup. Zoom way in to get the peaks aligned perfectly.

If the client can't put the one-shot in then look for something like headphone or mic bleed across tracks or any other clue that would allow you to align the tracks.

Again, good luck!
Old 10-19-2002, 12:22 AM

Hey man,
I have done it both ways, but what I think you`ll need to do after you line them up is trim them all so they start at 0 and then export ¨selected as files¨ from the audio menu so you`ll have a new set of sound files which can be easily imported into cakewalk and he`ll just have to line them all up at 0

did I understand you correctly?

cheers,

jorge

www.abacomusic.com