Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-03-2003, 09:26 AM

Default mixed "in the box" BTD question

hi

i have an album project mixed and ready to be sent off for mastering. i was thinking about doing the BTD at the mastering house with their high end clock. the tracks include recorded instruments and vocals, sampled music clips, and drum hits from sample CDs. i was wondering if anyone has done this and can give me an idea of how much better the project would sound, or speculate. is it worth the extra $$$???

thanks guys
Old 02-03-2003, 02:20 PM

Default Re: mixed "in the box" BTD question

sorry to bump this.
i hope i am understood.
any clarification needed?

thanks again.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:30 PM

Your question is a bit confusing. You want a mastering house to just burn your mixes to a disc? Have you already compressed, eq'd, and sequenced the final mixes? I don't understand. YES mastering by a good engineer on good equipment is worth the money. They can make bad stuff sound ok, and good stuff sound great (sonically of course). But this is obtained through eq and compression, not just because they make you a solid BTD (better known as a PMC CD). I don't think you should spend the money on studio time if all you want to do is burn what you have now to a disc. If you really think your material merits a better BTD option then the one connected to your computer, then go rent a masterlink for a day.
AJ [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2003, 04:09 PM

ok sorry for confusion.

the project is fully mixed and ready to go.
but instead of BTD to 24/44.1 files here at my place with a stock 001 set up, book an extra hour and do all the BTD at the mastering house locked to their superior clock. this is of course proir and aside from the mastering process itself. now i realize this won't improve any tracks recorded using digi's A/D, but there are many samples from hi-fi sample CDs and such that may just sound better. and just in general having a clean and solid clock at this step makes me feel good.

i guess i was just wondering if anybody does or have done this when they "print", and if there is any notable improvement.

thanks
-KS
Old 02-03-2003, 04:59 PM

AHHH. I think I am understanding more that I have again re-read. What you want to do is get a studio with say a Mix or HD system and bounce your mixes there. Is this right? The whole mastering thing threw me off. This would be done in a pro-tools room more then a mastering studio. This would sound better in my opinion, as I hate the 001/LE bounce sound. But if it is worth the studio time? I don't know. Don't expect to walk in there and have everything sound exactly as it did at home. How much money do you have? You basically are booking a shorter mixing session. BTW it is not the clock that would make this sound better, it is the way the upper echelon systems sum the audio that will. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

One last thing, just in case I misunderstood again. If you want to just bring your 001 to a mastering house to lock it too there clock and do the BTD, don't do it. Just rent a superior digital clock and lock it at home for less money and hassle. Of course you must record to the same device. Thats all!
Old 02-03-2003, 05:35 PM

Actually, you're probably wasting your time with the whole clock thing.

A superior clock can make your convertors sound better, but won't make a difference in a bounce unless you're using outboard gear running through D/A's and A/D's. Otherwise, the clock doesn't matter. It may sound better to you during the bounce, but that would be because the convertor that feeds the monitors sounds better. The mix itself is the same.

Now, if you want to get into the whole bounce vs. mix to external unit issue, that's another story.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:35 PM

hi

yes yes. this is what i mean. sorry i should have just said "open up the session on their rig...." yep ok.
thanks for the help AJ. and yea the 2mix bus. sorry i am a little old-school.
thanks again

-KS
Old 02-03-2003, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AE:
Actually, you're probably wasting your time with the whole clock thing.

A superior clock can make your convertors sound better, but won't make a difference in a bounce unless you're using outboard gear running through D/A's and A/D's.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Quote:
Originally posted by AJ:
Of course you must record to the same device. Thats all!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, again you must be recording to the device that is providing the superior clock for a digital transfer. Other wise it does not matter.