Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Default Aux inputs, sub mixing and effects sends

I'm encountering an issue that may be normal, but I have a feeling it's not. It's kind of a two fold issue. To start, let me say I'm using PT 8, M-Powered (if that matters).

First:
If I'm doing a sub mix, such as sending all my drums to one Aux channel, I notice that channel gets super hot and clips. What I've been doing is throwing a trim on it and cutting back the input volume. Am I doing something wrong? How do I get regular levels to come out of that fader (or into) without causing it to clip.

Second:
When I create an aux send for effects, and I click on the send on my track, I notice the meter of the send is up in that clipping area as well. I don't notice any clipping in the sound, but that red meter is pegged. Also, I have noticed that the actual aux tracks have sound on them as well. So, if I solo just the aux track (say, reverb), anything going to it has sound.

I apologize if any of this is confusing. I'm not sure how to articulate the question.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Aux inputs, sub mixing and effects sends

As to your first question, set the metering for the main faders to pre-fader metering and play back the drum tracks. Make sure none of them are clipping. If they are, they were recorded too hot. (From what I have read, for digital recording you want to record each track no hotter than -15 to -18db, unlike the analogue days when we tried to get the hottest signal without distortion on tape). Next, in the sends, select pre, so changes made to the main faders won't affect what you are sending to the Aux channel. Adjust each of the drum track sends to the proper balance and keep an eye on the Aux meter level. If it starts to clip, lower each drum track send by the same amount.

As to your second question, I don't understand what you are asking.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:08 AM

You know how when you click on your send on your recorded track, there is a little meter that pops up that allows you to adjust the amount of effect you're putting into that track. I notice on that fader, the signal in it always hits the red.

The second part of the question, which is related but not completely is: I've noticed on the aux tracks themselves, such as a reverb or a delay track, if I solo safe the reverb aux track, and then solo the snare (or any other track), I've noticed that anything going using the reverb send will still be audible. So, If I'm using the reverb send on my drum room and a vocal and that reverb aux track is solo safed, and I solo a guitar, I'll still hear the drums and vox.

Does that make more sense?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:20 AM

When you click the send on the recorded track and the meter that pops up is not adjusting the amount of effect you are putting into the track. Instead, it is adjusting the level of that track which is being sent to the buss which is routed to another track (aux track for example). Are your levels on the main drum tracks ok/not too hot?

I will have to think about your second question, maybe someone else will chime in.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:29 AM

for your main fader meters are you metering pre or post fader? sounds like your metering post fader but your tracks are to hot

are your sends pre or post fader? sounds like there pre fader, and the meter is showing you your overly hot tracks and the other sends are not being effected my the soft mute of the main fader when soloing

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-26-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
for your main fader meters are you metering pre or post fader? sounds like your metering post fader but your tracks are to hot

are your sends pre or post fader? sounds like there pre fader, and the meter is showing you your overly hot tracks and the other sends are not being effected my the soft mute of the main fader when soloing
I don't think my tracks are super hot, but they typically stay in the upper green to mid yellow section of the fader. Whether or not they're pre or post fader, I'm not sure. I'd have to open up a session and check it out.

I don't think the sends are pre fader because I don't believe the PRE button is engaged. I've not had too much trouble with this until recently. But it's possible they're pre fader and I'm just not aware. I'll check into it tonight.

Thank you both,
Old 03-27-2014, 05:58 AM

hola mike, i see you're in orange;
us too... for the record at batavia and collins...
where you at?

Quote:
If I'm doing a sub mix, such as sending all my drums to one Aux channel, I notice that channel gets super hot and clips.
first, the trim's not a bad solution, if you don't hear clipping, great.
a better choice would be to use a master fader to control the drum sub.
(if you upgrade, you'll have access to vca's; even better.)

best answer, tho, is to learn good gain staging.

so first, assign a grp to the drums and turn em down.
(they'll come down together, in proportion.)

for bonus points, get this meter for 8 bux
and set the vu ref to -15.
use em on your subs, masters, any where you wanna check for good level practises.

Quote:
When I create an aux send for effects I notice the meter of the send is up in that clipping area as well.
follow the above steps, and prolly your aux clipping will disappear as well.
also, most mixing workflows benefit from post sends.

Quote:
Also, I have noticed that the actual aux tracks have sound on them as well.
as craig noted, it could be from the your aux sends being set to "pre"
but also could happen if those other trax are solo safed as well.

b.o.l.
e