Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-22-2002, 12:41 AM

Default some general PT questions

1) i have f.ex drumsounds , placed in quartes , tempo f.ex 110 . now i change the tempo f.ex to 120 . how do i tell the drumregions to stay on their destination meassures ??? is there a way to quantize audiofiles ( pt 5.01 ) .
2) rerecording a track takes how many samples ???
3) a insert takes how many samples ???
4) is there a add on tool where i can load my sounds and AS plugs into and tell it f.ex ...
soundfile a-d processing with pluginchain xy
soundfile e-g processing with pluginchain xx
( worklists ... )
if not it NEEDS to be programed !!! ( cant be that hard )
5) how to configure the mac running PT AUDIO & LOGIC MIDI ??? if running 2 MACS will those programms exchange infos f.ex looped selection ( via machine control ) ??? someones doing it ???
6) if i have f.ex a bassdrum cutted during the whole song , is there a way to tell PT to place a f.ex a second sound on every bass drum hit ??? or still doing it manual ???
7) is there a shortcut for creating new playlists for the whole session . lets say 20 tracks , i press a key and all the tracks appear in a new playlist ??? or do i have to create playlists manual for every single track ???
8) if i have a region f.ex a drumloop is there a way to cut the whole thing in 16th with one click ??? ( depending on the session tempo ).
works in logic !!! works in pt ???
9) can a 2 or 3 buttoned mouse be configured to controll f.ex the toolchanges etc ???

i know some of this is in the manual , but i know some of you guys have some great tips . so please respond . i am fine with PT just trying to find a way to make it FASTER [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

thx you , merry christmas
Old 12-23-2002, 10:28 AM

Default Re: some general PT questions

nobody ??? THX YALL [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2002, 03:06 PM

I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions. Some are a little hard to understand.

3) a insert takes how many samples ???

If you are talking about insert delay, you can find out to the sample by clicking+Command on the volume box just above the pan on the Mix page. It will cycle through peak/delay/ and back to volume.

9) can a 2 or 3 buttoned mouse be configured to controll f.ex the toolchanges etc ???

I have a five button mouse which works great for PT tool changes! Also, the Shuttle Pro (from Contour) is very cool. Lots of programable buttons and jog/shuttle.

If I understand you, Sound Replacer could answer question 6.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:35 PM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 12-23-2002, 06:36 PM

ok 1st of all , thx a lot [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

trying to explain the " hard to understand " questions .

1)f.ex. a cutted bass drum sound , sessiontempo 100 , placed on the bar 10/0/0 . if i change now the sessiontempo to f.ex 120 the soundfile stays on its destination place , but not on bar 10/0/0 .
thats somehow logical cause all it does is to expand or compress the sessions lenght . but i would like to know if theres a way to tell the audioregions to stay on 10/0/0 when i change the tempo . right now it comes to my mind that the " lock audiofile " may work ??? gonna try it later .

4) soundprocessing question :
to add inserted effects ( like dynamics , eqs , etc ) to a audio file is either :
bounce to disk
or the audiosuite dialog .
the good thing about bounce to disk , you can add more effect than "1" during one bounce . the bad thing , it takes the realtime of the files lenght . the good thing bout AS , its faster . the bad thing only "1" effect can be added during one process .
if i have now f.ex 13 drumtracks and made my pluginadjustments ( saved all the particular pluginsettings , [ a button to save the whole channel pluginchain would be more than awesome ] )
now i am asking for a "TOOL" where i can load my 13 drumtracks into . tell the TOOL , this sound should be processed with those plugins and this sound with this etcetc . something like a worklist . after this i hit the "doit" button , gonna get a coffe and come back .

2&3)
i know that the delay compensating tips are in the manual . but sometimes i still get that nasty
filtered effect following the manual .

f.ex two recorded files , some comps on the channel inserts , sending it to a bus with a eq ,
a master fader to control the levels , using a analog chain as well and rerecod the file . [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
auto delay compensating would be wonderful , but that has been discussed quiet often . i thought some of you PT gurus now it out of the head or have a sample delay list at the computer .

6)
i tried soundreplacer and it didnt work that great imho . it needed to be edited manual .
i know that pt gives the regions a timestamp .
this infos is saved with the session . i just wanna bring in some sounds and tell em to use the same time stamps as f.ex. the bass drum hits .
( should work with cutted files ) . but how can i do that ???

5)
logic midi is great , the audio is not that great . protools audio is great , the midi is arghhhhhh . exporting midi into protools is an ok option . but stuff needs to be changed all the time . i am used to both programs . my dream would be either 2 macs ( 1 running pt , 1 running logic ) or 1 mac and 2 screens ( 1 for logic 1 for pt ) . the 2 mac solution may not playback loops ( if i create a loop selection in pt , will the 2nd mac running logic lock that loops as well ??? < machine control > ??? ) . and it may have some sync delay which isnt that great . the advantage would be more slots to have f.ex a soundcard in logic as well to have some softsynths or some samplers .
why do i wanna have that ??? cause its more easy for me to work with . i am getting lost if i have 50+++ tracks on one screen . its somehow easier to focus . submixes in pt and importing them into logic doesnt make me happy at all . why ??? easy , if i wanna do some strings on a mixed playback i need to change the levels of the playback before the string will do what they are there for . if i cant change it during the process of creating i am doing to much " useless stuff " in the end . so having this option with two macs and i really would fly . [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

thx yall more input please
Old 12-24-2002, 12:49 AM

Question....what are "cutted files" [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2002, 01:32 AM

7 - not a single key.. but simple enough to change mulitple tracks.. either group them, or use the Option+Shift modifier on the Mac or Alt+Shift modifier on the PC.... which let you do lots of functions to multiple selected tracks. (That's also in the manual BTW).

(Re "cutted files") - I believe English isn't his native tongue... so I believe he means edited files.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 12-24-2002, 11:40 PM

thats right rail [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sometimes its a nightmare to understand what you guys are talkin bout . i am glad the duc isnt in chinese . [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

and again , more please ...

" is it that hard to understand " ... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

peace