Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2010, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Really upset with maudio/avid company

If you here anything let me know and I will do the same. I will simply do a post called Mackie with Pro Tools M-Powered in this forum.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:54 AM

Wavelabs,

I am by no means a expert with any of this.
One thing I know with almost any OS is that there are certain drivers when installed dig there way into the registry settings so deep that uninstalling it and trying to install a older version just won't work.
If you know how to use regedit and dig out the driver info and delete it manually from the registry that may work but you better feel really comfortable with editing the registry in any window os.

Next best thing I can suggest is wipe the drive , reinstall Windows 7 Ult. install the older driver for your fire wire device and go from there. It is a pain in the butt, however you know you will be starting clean again.
Right or wrong the only other thing is go back to XP and go with what is known to be stable and work.

I am about to do the same as you except I have a MAudio Delta 1010 which is PCI and I think (hope) will be a little more forgiving then fire wire. I'll find out soon enough .
Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM

Can I ask a question here if I may? Do you know WHY ProTools requires certain hardware?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 AM

Oh, call on me, Mr. Lyons, call on me!

Thank you. OK, would it be because, as a company providing seriously professional tools, they want to minimize the HEADACHE for their users of incompatible hardware and software?

BTW, I am running Pro Tools LE on one system and M-Powered on another, both running Win7 64 bit, with an MBox 2 Pro on the LE system and an M-Audio Profire Lightbridge on the M-Powered system. While not flawless, I've had really minimal problems. And, let us not forget that Digi was very clear in stating that v8.0.3 was BETA software on Win7 64-bit.

64 bit computing for us audio professionals is, while much improved over the last year, still a bit of a minefield what with plugin programmers being so slow to produce 64 bit versions of their plugins. I mean, look at Waves. They've been in this game for a long, long time and produce serious audio tools, yet they are only now just starting to talk about releasing 64 bit updates to their plugs.

But, I digress. My point is that, even in beta, lots of us have systems running fine under Win7 64 bit.

Regards....
Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorshipMaestro View Post
Oh, call on me, Mr. Lyons, call on me!

Thank you. OK, would it be because, as a company providing seriously professional tools, they want to minimize the HEADACHE for their users of incompatible hardware and software?

Regards....
Judging from all the posts in this forum and as a user of many other (non-avid) interfaces/daws, i would have to say that would be THEIR intention, but in my honest opinion, a complete FAIL on their part. I've never had so many problems nor heard of so many (just take a look around the forum even in the HD area) of the headaches between the hardware/software. If they truly want to be compatible with every scenario possible then the only way to do this would to make their own line of computers. Or atleast hire someone who knows how to make decent drivers. I can't tell you how many BSOD i have received with my M-Audio Profire 2626 with everything updated running on XP. Windows support for Avid products needs help badly.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:41 AM

Minefield is a appropriate analogy....The next year or two is going to be a bit rocky as the software and hardware transition to 64 bits. Theres a bit of a chicken vs the egg scenario and there going to lots of baby steps involved for all the vender's.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-20-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatzer View Post
Judging from all the posts in this forum and as a user of many other (non-avid) interfaces/daws, i would have to say that would be THEIR intention, but in my honest opinion, a complete FAIL on their part. I've never had so many problems nor heard of so many (just take a look around the forum even in the HD area) of the headaches between the hardware/software. If they truly want to be compatible with every scenario possible then the only way to do this would to make their own line of computers. Or atleast hire someone who knows how to make decent drivers. I can't tell you how many BSOD i have received with my M-Audio Profire 2626 with everything updated running on XP. Windows support for Avid products needs help badly.
Clearly, you've never been been on the Logic forums.

Plenty of other DAWs have plenty of their own problems. For instance, if a DAW will supposedly work with "any" interface... this raises a new kind of issue. What happens when an interface doesn't work? "OMG, WHY DOESN'T THIS INTERFACE WORK?? (x company) IS SUCH DRIVEL FOR NOT MAKING GOOD ENOUGH DRIVERS TO JUST WORK WITH EVERYTHING!"

Also, saying there are "so many problems" based on what you read in this forums is pretty much like saying, "Wow, there is a lot of water in that well!" These are support forums, so most of what you read here are going to be issues people are having. It's pretty rare that someone makes a thread saying "My system works perfectly with no problems whatsoever!"

I also find it pretty funny when people blame Avid/Digidesign/M-Audio for problems experienced on brand new/unsupported/beta OSs. Why is it not Microsoft's problem or Apple's problem, too? Have you ever written a DAW before? Or any software for that matter? There's no magic "work for the new OS!" button... it takes a lot of time and effort to write code, especially when you have an entirely new framework to design for.

I have personally never encountered a Pro Tools related BSOD. Not once. Now, I don't use M-Powered, I run LE... but that doesn't change the fact that I have never had a fatal crash due to a Pro Tools related driver. In my experience, 95% of problems anyone ever has with DAWs in general are user-related. It's not to say 95% of users are incompetent either, I've certainly had my own share of user-related problems... but until I sus out exactly what the problem is, I rarely jump the blame to the manufacturer.

Pro Tools ain't Garageband. It's not simple, idiot-proof, any joe-blow-off-the-street-can-use-it software, and I like it that way.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 AM

So who people are suppose to blame ? God.?
If I am using Protools which of course is made by AVID.
and I am also using FW-410 audio device (ahh look here, also by AVID).

and problems like this happens, I am definitely going to blame them
after I try to resolve the problems with many moderators from both AVID and M-Audio.

Again, as I stated before, at first I had problems with the v5 drivers of M-Audio for my FW-410
because my bit rate dropped from 192 down to 96 and it would not go back up.
and I was informed to update the drivers for my FW-410 device to v6 to resolve the problems,
and then I would result in having nightmares instead of solutions.

They told me to update my drivers, and I believed them because we are suppose to trust them as experts
to fix the problems we are having, but yet instead I am sitting here dead in the water.

and In order for me to revert back to the previous drivers, I would have to cross my fingers
and reformat my hard drive ?. - come on now.

Thats not a solution, its a disaster....

I am going to blame AVID/M-Audio.

Because it was working before and I was in the middle of a session for a remix
that is due in 5 days and now I can not finish it.
and I will look bad to a major record label.

and now I am sitting here with nothing.
with a remix that was 85% done and almost out the door so I can get paid.
and now its stuck within protools.
And it was not my fault and I did not create the mess.
the drivers from AVID/M-Audio did.

so yes I will blame them for it.
Not microsoft, because my system is currently working fine.
its M-Audio and Protools that is not working.

Everything else is working with out a hitch in my system, audio and all.
Its not Microsoft's fault...
Its Protools that I can not open or use, because its requiring me to have audio hardware
to even open it, let alone use it,.
and the current new drivers I was told to install by M-Audio Moderators/Staff that won't work.
Won't install or see my audio device no matter what I do.

and now I am screwed with a remix i am suppose to finish.
and nothing to show for it within 5 days at the due date.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 AM

I never said to blame God... I said to blame Windows. You are running an OS that is still technically unsupported for use with Pro Tools... NOT AVID'S FAULT.

This is what I find confusing. If I was running Snow Leopard right now, or Win7, and I was having problems... I wouldn't be considering that it is Digidesign's or Avid's fault... but my own, for using a brand new/unsupported system.

My main system is on OSX 10.5.8 which has been supported for many months... and my backup system is WinXP SP2. No crashes, no problems. No x64 OS has ever been supported by Digidesign, and testing for it is still in beta.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 02-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
You are running an OS that is still technically unsupported for use with Pro Tools... NOT AVID'S FAULT.

This is what I find confusing.
You have it backwards.
Microsoft is not suppose to follow AVID.

Its AVID that is suppose to follow Microsoft.
So the unsupported software is actually AVID