Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2001, 08:23 AM

Default Never change a working system! comments?

I´ve been running my studio for well over 14 years composing and producing radio and TV jingles to make a living. I always went by the "never change a working system" rule and on many occasions was glad to do so. I have a great working and reliable TASCAM 16-1" tape machine that never let me down, still use the ancient 4.1 Performer on a Mac Centris 610 and a 600 year old SMPTE Timecode Machine.<s> E-mu´s, synths and good outboard-gear like TUBE-TECH compressors, AKG-tube mics, Lexicon reverbs and such were and are a good investment. After ions of wracking my brain and figuring out the pros and cons, I am about to get the Digi001 with an RME A/DD/A converter run by a Mac 466 with 320Mb. The digital domain is great, the editing possibilities are wow and especially for voiceovers on commercials no one can beat a DAW. One of the greatest things about HD-recording is: (don´t laugh) you can play it 5 million times and it will not lose it´s soundquality, which one can´t say about analog machines...........but...........I can take my 12 year old 1"tapes from the shelf, put them on my good old Tascam and there´s the music! I´ll see if I can do that with my digital recordings in 12 years!<s> Another point is: Recording AND sequencing with PT. What if PT crashes and I have to hand in a tune next day? <argh> Relying completely on one system is no good. I might have to re-record some audio tracks, but I would still be in the business using my tape machine and the sequencer. So I will keep my working system and ADD PT to it instead of getting rid of it and having to rely on one system. So guys, keep your old tape machines, they will be running for the next 20 years! And if you are happy with your sequencer, keep that too, just to be on the safe side!<s>
Greetings, George

------------------