Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-30-2002, 02:47 PM

Default How do you store your data tapes?

What's the best way to store them? Fireproof safe of just make two and put them in separate locations? Right now they're headed to a shelf in my basement.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 01-30-2002, 11:19 PM

Default Re: How do you store your data tapes?

Hey Pete - I always make two tapes… one goes in a fireproof safe in my basement, the other to a buddy's studio, stored with his 2" masters. And I just bought another fireproof safe for over there, too. And per the Imation folks, always store the tapes on their spine, not laying flat!!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 01-31-2002, 06:36 AM

Brian,
Thanks!
-Pete
Old 01-31-2002, 06:50 AM

Basement is bad. Humidity will destroy tapes.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:53 AM

I have lots of old analog reel-to-reel masters in a basement cause that's the only place I can keep them for cheap, I have put each reel into a clear plastic bag, boxed it up with a small dessicant pouch, put the box in another plastic bag.

I have flake 'n' bake problems with these 80s Ampex 456 reels, but no mold or mildew &c problems

- Sean
Old 02-01-2002, 12:48 AM

Hey JGuth - Well, in my case it's actually the bottom floor of a "daylight ranch" house… not really sure why I think of it as the basement, except that it's very comfortable down there in the summer, even with all the gear going full tilt… but your point about the humidity issue is indeed very important. Cool & DRY is the location for any kind of tape.

Sean - sounds like you've found a workable solution for tape preservation… what a pain about the Ampex shedding, isn't it??!

Warmest Regards,
Brian
Old 02-02-2002, 12:47 AM

My studio is in the basement so I run a dehumidifier in the summer and a humidifier in the winter. (If I could just recycle the water from season to season [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Store the tapes on the spine. If you store them flat, the outer edge of the reel of tape might droop and you might damage the edges of the tape the next time you use the tape.

I am currently keeping my precious master tapes and backup tapes in a cardboard box on the top shelf. I'm looking at the fireproof filing cabinets at the local office supply store.

I can hardly wait until I have a tapeless studio. Maybe by the end of the year.