Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-09-2011, 02:49 PM

Default Mic Gain Problem

I'm running Pro Tools 9 with Mac Snow Leapord 10.6... I use avid's new mbox 3 mini... with a shure sm57 mic, which I know isn't the right mic for vocals, but i am saving for a condenser now.. My question is why would I have to turn the gain knob hard right just to get a good signal?.. Is there something in the settings i need to change? Or is it because the sm57 isn't a condenser mic and can't use the phantom power?... It's like the recording is either too loud or too low, no in between... Any help on this would be highly appreciated...
Old 10-09-2011, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Mic Gain Problem

This is normal, the 57 doesn't have a huge output and is typically found on snare, guitars cabs etc, loud sources. That doesn't mean it can't be used on acoustic guitar, vocals etc but you need a decent quiet preamp to supply enough gain to get the job done well.

Even condensers vary in this respect, the spec your looking for is mic sensitivity, maybe do some research in to it. A recent experience for me on this was between my Beyer MC930's and M-Audio Pulsar II's, the beyers kick out way more than the M-audio's and require much less gain despite them being very similar in many other respects.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Thank you for the response man...
So getting another external mic pre-amp to work along with my interface would be my best solution then?
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 PM

Word on the street is the Mbox 3 pre's are pretty respectable.

You have to ask yourself what you want here, IMHO the 57 isn't a great mic for vocals, others will disagree. Your going to need around $400 per channel to get something thats going to trump the Mbox in a truly noticeable way.

If it were me, i'd just go and get a large diaphragm condenser mic, then you will have a condenser and a dynamic which you can then use accordingly.

Also bare in mind when recording at 24-bit you don't need a super hot level, peaks around -10 to -14dB are more than adequate. Levels don't need to be all but clipping.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
Word on the street is the Mbox 3 pre's are pretty respectable.
IMHO the 57 isn't a great mic for vocals, others will disagree.
I'd be one that disagrees... of course, with a tube preamp and tube compressor, the results can be quite stunning. Example: http://db.tt/nUfufMsl
Old 10-12-2011, 06:38 AM

The 57 is a dynamic mic, so yes, It doesn't need phantom power. And even, if this sounds silly, you don't have the pad pressed or something ? Because even if the 57 doesn't put out a lot of gain, you should not have to turn the gain control all the way up.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
If it were me, i'd just go and get a large diaphragm condenser mic, then you will have a condenser and a dynamic which you can then use accordingly.
By the way. Why do people always recommend, that people should get a large diaphragm condenser mic to start with. Why not start with a small diaphragm condenser which is way more versatile? And can be used on vocals at least as good.

Sebastian
Old 10-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darney View Post
I'd be one that disagrees... of course, with a tube preamp and tube compressor, the results can be quite stunning. Example: http://db.tt/nUfufMsl
Wow outstanding vocal performance and the vocal sound is really good as well.
Don't like the room to much, but that does not spoil the real good vocal sound at all. Too sad, that the piano is standing next door ;-)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
By the way. Why do people always recommend, that people should get a large diaphragm condenser mic to start with. Why not start with a small diaphragm condenser which is way more versatile? And can be used on vocals at least as good.

Sebastian
For vocals, both can be used. It is my preference (and the preference many of the vocalist that I record) to use a large diaphragm condenser mic. I tend to think is has to do with the proximity effect. The large diaphragms seem to have that "Oomph" and perceived "warmer" sound people like. Small diaphragms placed properly can sound great too but plosives and off axis drop offs are more pronounced. There is no absolute right or wrong when it comes to mic selection. The voice and technique has a lot to do with what mic works for each situation.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.13.6 running Protools 2018.7.0
Old 10-14-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
Wow outstanding vocal performance and the vocal sound is really good as well.
Don't like the room to much, but that does not spoil the real good vocal sound at all. Too sad, that the piano is standing next door ;-)
Interesting comment! You think the piano should be more up front? The 'room' is D-Verb plate... maybe too much? What would you suggest? Tnx.