Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-16-2011, 03:06 PM

Default Need help setting up Liquid Saffire 56 PLEASE :(

Hi, I am a semi-professional singer and recently decided to make the investment to setup a small recording apparatus in my room to avoid paying studio fees every time. I have an iMac 3.06 GHz Dual Core with 4 GB of memory. I have that connected on FW 800 to a Glyph 1TB. The Glyph then connects to the LS 56 on FW 400. Trouble is I cannot get my LS to output to any of my recording software (PT 9 or Garageband). It turns on, and after some effort works in stand alone mode. I can see the output on the LS 56 software (I think it is called Saffire Mix) and can also output directly to monitor. I figure I am doing something wrong with the routing? Both Garageband and PT will recognize the hardware and all the input channels, but there is no signal to be picked up when I plug in instruments or mic!

If somebody would be kind enough to explain to me how to setup the LS from scratch (with Garageband or Pro Tools) I would be very, very grateful! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Need help setting up Liquid Saffire 56 PLEASE :(

First... have you read the manual? There is a lot to know about MixControl... and this isn't really the place to find Focusrite support. However, there is a significant thread about it here.

Second... have you tried removing the hard drive from the chain? While it's not necessarily recommended to record without it, it's a good idea to eliminate it as a problem while troubleshooting.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 PM

I read the manual, nothing useful in there (the one that came with the LS 56). I have not removed it yet, because that is the only way I can get firewire 800 to 400 conversion at this point. I guess I should buy a 400 to 800 cable. The thing is the computer acknowledges the existence of the Saphire, MixControl will even indicate that it is picking up the instruments, but my DAWs are receiving no input. I'll try removing the hard drive and see what happens. Of course since my Mac has only one fw 800 that means I will never be able to use both at the same time, which I completely fail to understand because people at sweetwater told me that I should absolutely record to extermal hard drive! Thank you very much for your immediate response! If you know somebody with a familiar setup I would really appreciate your help! Thank you once again for your fast response!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelpplz View Post
Of course since my Mac has only one fw 800 that means I will never be able to use both at the same time, which I completely fail to understand because people at sweetwater told me that I should absolutely record to extermal hard drive!
I'm not sure I understand your problem, but have you tried plugging your firewire drive directly into your Mac, then plugging the LS 56 into the rear firewire port of your firewire drive? It doesn't matter which comes first into your computer. This way allows you to use both at the same time.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Yes, thats how I have it setup right now. iMac FW800 to the Glyph, and then Saffire goes to the Glyph as well. ControlMix recognizes the Saffire and the inputs (my electric guitar), but my DAW refuses to take any input from any channel. I tried GarageBand and Pro Tools 9 to make sure this was not a DAW issue.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:46 PM

Hey. I just set up a PT9 rig for mobile stuff.

MacBook Pro
Saffire Pro 40 > (adat) Octopre Platinum
WD FW800 Ext Drive

So I had quite a time setting it up as well, but working great now. Sounds like I may have had the same problems that you're experiencing. Have you gotten it to work yet?

I've got to go to sleep now but I'll check back and help if I can.
http://www.salmonsound.com
Old 06-17-2011, 12:34 AM

No luck yet, been working on it for 24 hours straight. Works in stand alone mode (MixControl will recognize an input, display it, and send it out to monitor) but the DAWs and the iMac are not picking up any input. I can see the channels in my DAWs (Garageband and PT 9) however when I select them and try playing something on that channel there is nothing coming out of it.

I'd appreciate any help you could provide me, for now I to am off to bed!

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-17-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelpplz View Post
Hi, I am a semi-professional singer and recently decided to make the investment to setup a small recording apparatus in my room to avoid paying studio fees every time. I have an iMac 3.06 GHz Dual Core with 4 GB of memory. I have that connected on FW 800 to a Glyph 1TB. The Glyph then connects to the LS 56 on FW 400. Trouble is I cannot get my LS to output to any of my recording software (PT 9 or Garageband). It turns on, and after some effort works in stand alone mode. I can see the output on the LS 56 software (I think it is called Saffire Mix) and can also output directly to monitor. I figure I am doing something wrong with the routing? Both Garageband and PT will recognize the hardware and all the input channels, but there is no signal to be picked up when I plug in instruments or mic!

If somebody would be kind enough to explain to me how to setup the LS from scratch (with Garageband or Pro Tools) I would be very, very grateful! Thanks in advance!
Trash your prefs... then when you start Pro Tools, hold the N key down... select the 56 as your interface.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 AM

There was a video on the focusrite site specifically for pro tools, you have to first install software (which includes drivers), then turn on the interface, then start mixcontrol, then choose the sampling frequency, and lastly launch pro tools and choose the correct interface from the options menu. There's probably a video for garageband too.

I have just learned that connecting a FW800 drive to the FW400 interface may lead to some problems, not your kind of problems though.

Edit: Here's the video
http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/...le.php?id=1111
Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 AM

Darney, I already did that, PT will recognize the device but won't take any input from it still! Thank you the advice though.

Rofa, I also went through the video, I did everything the way they recommended and still no luck.

Do you guys think the unit could be bad?