Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Input monitoring

Yes you are mistaken. DP and Logic allow you to turn it off. Punching in and out on the fly etc...is really a drag using workarounds and yours is not the work around. Yesterday I couldn't get my usual work around to work, so I set up another track for punching in, and went back and forth between them so that my client could monitor what had happened before the punch. This means I have to edit the waveforms on the fly too. So much work while under the gun, editing, muting, switching back and forth between tracks, potentially missing a good performance. Not my idea of a professional way to record.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:48 AM

I posted a workaround (part 1 and part 2) in the other input monitoring thread that allows punch in/outs without using a separate track. It takes a few steps to set up, but once you have it you can hide the tracks and practically forget it's there. You can even build it into a template if you want.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_gibberish View Post
I've read this thread... and... can't you people just use the two separate volume level for the recording track and the playback track and place the recording volume level to zero?

In that way every time you record you will have the track volume at zero and you'll be able to use your RME total mix or whatever..

I just do that and everything works great

Am I missing something?

The only DAW I know that lets you turn of the input monitoring is Live (if I'm not mistaken...)
Actually, except for Pro Tools, I can't think of a DAW that DOESN'T have a setting to turn input monitoring off. All these workaround are all good (if not painful), but the point is, again, WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO TURN INPUT MONITORING OFF!
Old 04-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_gibberish View Post
I've read this thread... and... can't you people just use the two separate volume level for the recording track and the playback track and place the recording volume level to zero?

[...]

Am I missing something?
Yes, you are. The problem is for punching in. Say you want to fix a phrase you messed up on. You select the time frame you want to re-record, enable QuickPunch, and record enable the track. You're going to want to hear what you previously recorded, UNTIL the part where you messed up. Live, Logic, Reaper, and PT HD all allow this automatically. PT LE allowed this as well, IIRC, with my old Mbox 2 Pro.

PT 9 doesn't. You have to either record to a new (muted) track, or not get to hear your previous context. Or use one of the cumbersome workarounds posted on the forum.

For punching in, it's pretty much 1) standard & 2) essential.

~peter in oakland
Old 05-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehitlab View Post
"Muting" is just a workaround, won't fix prefader cuemixes, ect..

Make sure to vote on this one since it's voting for the solution (turning off input monitoring)

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/27200-3779
I voted FOR the idea.

Any product that gives me a yes or no option will always be ahead in the running against competition for my $$.

Just so happens, PT still comes out on top for me once everything is weighed up.

Gigabyte X99 SOC Force Mobo Bios vF6d
Intel Core i7 5930k socket 2011 v3 @ 3.50GHz
32GB DDR4 Crucial RAM
System: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Record: Samsung M.2NVME SSD 960 Evo
Samples: Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
Storage: 2x Samsung SATAlll SSD 840 Pro
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Graphics
PT 11HD (v11.2.1) Omni s/pdif w Eleven Rack
HD 96I/O
Win 8.1 Pro
Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 AM

How odd.... probably because I like absolute control over what I do, I've always set up overdubs with a zoomed track view and just before the insert point, hit the mute button on the track to be recorded. If multiple tracks are involved (i.e. drums) I just mute the group. Hasn't ever been a big deal for me. But for some folks, I see the advantage of turning off the input monitoring - one less thing to think/do during the recording process!

Oh yeah, it's still 1000 times easier than doing it on tape!