Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 PM

Default Melodyne

Hey guys, just wondering if many of you still consider Melodyne the main contender for vocal tuning etc or have I missed something new taking 1st place? Is V4 playing well with PT 2018 also? thanks!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Melodyne

Yea it is the best, but also -sadly- best used with Logic or some other ARA compatible host. People have been begging Avid for implementing ARA into PT but so far no luck.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yea it is the best, but also -sadly- best used with Logic or some other ARA compatible host. People have been begging Avid for implementing ARA into PT but so far no luck.
I agree and use it a ton. As for ARA, a chat with the folks at Presonus suggests that it might not be doable. But a decent work-around is to stick Melodyne in the top insert(you should, anyway), set the plugin to Transfer and then Commit up to This Plugin. If you select Do Nothing with the original track, you can just delete the new .cm track and the audio will be ready to edit in Melodyne

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-07-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I agree and use it a ton. As for ARA, a chat with the folks at Presonus suggests that it might not be doable.
Can you elaborate?
Old 10-07-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
a decent work-around is to stick Melodyne in the top insert(you should, anyway), set the plugin to Transfer and then Commit up to This Plugin. If you select Do Nothing with the original track, you can just delete the new .cm track and the audio will be ready to edit in Melodyne
This works quite well. Here's a link to a video if it gets confusing for anyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EuqaS2D_p8
Old 10-07-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
Can you elaborate?
We didn't get into the nuts and bolts so I have nothing more to offer. I suspect its down to the plugin code(was watching a demo on Studio One v4). ARA is very cool, for sure. But I still much prefer too many aspects of Pro Tools to change DAW's anytime soon.

Old 10-07-2018, 03:54 PM

As I recently commented in this other thread, http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2500981&postcount=12

this works very well. Also frees up some CPU. If you need to do further edits, simply enable/un-hide the original Transfer and tweak, or re-Transfer the .cm track and then re-Commit.

I've found the latter method interesting as the algorithm is essentially deciphering itself. At least, I think that's how it works. Anyway. The blobs and curves appear slightly different on the screen compared to the original transfer. Editing troublesome passages was somewhat easier on the second attempt.

Here's a track I've been told sounds "very natural" and "not fake at all" where I did this two-step process on the lead vocal. BGVs only got one treatment. https://music.nessrecords.com/track/fall

To the OP, yes hands-down Melodyne is fantastic and the Studio v4 allows so much and goes so deep ... I even used it on the electric guitar track for one bum note that was slightly sharp and had no loss in tone (which was recorded with distortion).

Gigabyte H97M-D3H, Intel i5-4590 @ 3.3GHz, Intel H97 chipset, 24GB Crucial Ballistix 1600 DDR3, Win 10, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HDD (x2), TP-Link N900 PCIe, EVGA 500w PSU

Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel i7-870 @ 2.93GHz, Intel 5 Series/3400 Series chipset PCIe, ATI Radeon, Win 7 (64-bit) Home Premium, Realtek HD, THX TruStudio, Chicony 350w PSU
Old 10-08-2018, 04:20 AM

Great news guys, thanks for all the info and update! guess I'll be updating to V4 with their special pricing and getting on with it :) cheers
Old 10-09-2018, 12:18 PM

I'm looking into getting voice correction software. How does Melodyne compare to Revoice Pro 4?

2013 iMac Late model i7 3.5 Ghz quad-core, 24 gigs ram, OSX 10.12.3
PC slave, i7 6700 4.0 Ghz quad-core, 64 gigs ram, SSD drives running VE Pro 7
Multiple external thunderbolt SSD hard drives
UAD Apollo X8, Twin Duo & Quad Satellite Thunderbolt
Townsend Sphere L22 w/ Putnam Mic Collection
LUNA (I have Pro Tools 2020 as well)
Old 10-09-2018, 01:38 PM

I suggest watching some videos as Revoice Pro v4 is really new. It seems capable enough that it might do all you need, but I don't know for sure. I do know that Melodyne 4 is amazing and I use it every week(and not only for tuning)