Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 PM

Default Would upgrading to Pro Tools Ultimate mean needing to update my system?

I'm considering upgrading to Pro Tools Ultimate to get access to more tracks.

One concern I have is whether adding more tracks is going to affect my buffer size choices, or if I'll end up needing to update something else about my system, as it will be handling more tracks.

Anything I should be aware of?

iMac (27-inch, late 2013)
macOS High Sierra (v 10.13.6)
Universal Audio Apollo x4 Thunderbolt
Pro Tools v 2019.12
[Amount of Memory installed where?]
attached peripherals: G-DRIVE mobile USB-C (containing the PT files); G-DRIVE mobile USB for Time Machine; LG screen for extended desktop

Last edited by rrsf; 02-12-2020 at 09:09 PM. Reason: clarifying question
Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Would upgrading to Pro Tools Ultimate mean needing to update my system?

Are you talking total tracks (and maybe voices) or are you taking about actual physical inputs and outputs. Exactly what “more” do you need... what limit today, what do you need in future?

For more than 32 inputs and outputs you need Pro Tools Ultimate, all DigiLink interfaces, and a DigiLink license. This has been discussed to death on DUC. You need a HD Native IO card for up to 64 IO, multiple HDX cards if wanting more than that.

For just more session tracks who can guess what impact anything will have. We have no clue what you are doing now or plan to do in future. If it’s total session size issues during mixing then max out the IO buffer and make use of freeze and commit (which also help greatly while tracking with large sessions).
Old 02-13-2020, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Would upgrading to Pro Tools Ultimate mean needing to update my system?

I do it too for mixing audio... monthly PT Ultimate, when I get a bigger session than 128 tracks - nothing special changes