Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 11:06 AM

Default New Module

Hi All,

Years ago I had the Korg X5DR, (loved it). Is there a new, modern module/rack like that either from Korg or Kurzweil or another good manufacturer? I have a good controller and don’t need any hardware, only the ‘brain’.

Appreciated in advance,
Adam
Old 03-25-2019, 12:33 PM

Default Re: New Module

I don't think any synth manufacturer makes a rack mount device anymore. Heck Moog stopped producing the Voyager Rack Mount Edition (RME) about 2 years back. Glad I got mine. There are some that make Euro Rack modules but that's a totally different animal than what you're looking for.

DSI (Dave Smith Instruments) and Korg make some table-top synths but again - no rack mounts.

QAPLA!
Old 03-25-2019, 04:23 PM

Hi Jack,

Appreciate the reply. Yeah, I figured. Shot in the dark. Too bad. I just have zero interest in gearing up new pt and all the ocular migraines that come with it.

All the best,
Adam
Old 03-25-2019, 06:45 PM

I know little about this but have you tried virtual synths and instrument plugins? They have become really advanced in the last few years.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Christopher View Post
Hi Jack,

Appreciate the reply. Yeah, I figured. Shot in the dark. Too bad. I just have zero interest in gearing up new pt and all the ocular migraines that come with it.

All the best,
Adam
There's no more eye strain with the current PT then there was with whatever version you now have. The gui really hasn't changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I know little about this but have you tried virtual synths and instrument plugins? They have become really advanced in the last few years.
Exactly. And you don't need a new PT version to use the current crop of vi's. You don't say what PT version you're on but anything from PT11 and up will happily run things. And the current vi's run rings around what the h/w could do. Imagine having multiple Moog Modulars, miniMoogs at your beck and call? You're missing out on a lot of cool stuff if you limit yourself to just h/w synths.

On the latter I dropped my rack mount PolyEvolver when I got vi's that could cover what it did and more and were easier to program. I kept, as I mentioned, my Moog Voyager RME because nothing touches it, including any of the current crop of Moog emulations.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2019, 08:44 AM

I still have my oe X5DR and M1 but i also took the opportunity to get all the korg emulations when they were discounted for focusrite collective users or M1 VI registered owners. Google Korg Vi deals cuz there is a thread somewhere her e on the DUC about it with more info