Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 02-19-2012, 07:09 AM

Default Pro Tools LE + M-Audio FT C600, REAL system requirements

Hello all, I'm new to both this board and using computers for music production so I'm sorry if I'm asking silly questions.

Anyway, I bought the M-Audio Fast Track C600 sound interface bundled with Pro Tools SE yesterday, and I'm having surprisingly big problems to get it all working on my computer. I've been following several guides how to optimize the computer for Pro Tools but I'm still having trouble getting it to run well with Pro Tools. After 3 tracks of audio with guitar amps as the only plug in effect the computer pretty much dies on me. I've been using porta studios up until now so I've never really understood how taxing this is for the computer.

My computer is above the system requirements on the box though, so my question is:
What is the REAL system requirements for Pro Tools SE to be able to use the program as intended?

I was planning on upgrading my computer anyway so I just need to know what I should be aiming for.

What about an iMac with 2.7 GHz quad-core i5 CPU and 4GB of RAM, would that be enough?

Edit: Sorry for the misspelling in the thread title. It should say Pro Tools SE.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Thumbs up Re: Pro Tools LE + M-Audio FT C600, REAL system requirements

Yes! I got it to work yesterday!

Same computer, same ProTools version (SE 8.0.3), same gear (Fast Track C600) same everything... And it runs perfectly!

The trick was... erm... to vaccuum the computer
Apparently the computer just got way to hot and the CPU clocked down to a lower clock frequence.

I made a song this evening with 8 audio tracks, 1 midi track, 1 drum loop, with 1-3 effects added on all tracks. And the system usage shows a CPU effects load of about 30%. Nice!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE + M-Audio FT C600, REAL system requirements

i have a c400 arriving tomorrow, nice to know your enjoying the c600!