Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2016, 06:06 AM

Default Which Pro Tools do I really need? Suggestions appreciated!

I just purchased a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre which I was told works pretty well with Pro Tools but I have no earthly idea which Pro Tools I need to buy... I know there's 11, HD, Express, etc.... I'll be doing my own recording and will never need more than 2 inputs/tracks going at once but I also don't want to sacrifice quality... Should I go with PT 12?

Last but not least - I tried purchasing the iLok which is needed but they're out of stock on the Avid website. I see that you can buy these all over the place but do I need to purchase my iLok directly from Avid to assure it works with my PT?

Any enlightenment appreciated.

T
Old 01-26-2016, 06:16 AM

Default Re: Which Pro Tools do I really need? Suggestions appreciated!

You can get your I-lok at any number of places without worry. Slate Digital was selling them dirt cheap with some of their plugins.
I'd personally go for PT 12 so you'll be up to date, but check the compatibility documents and make sure your computer is up to the task.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:56 AM

You can also play with Pro Tools| First to see if it suits your needs. If you need more feature, you can also purchase Pro Tools 12

Pro Tools|First:
http://apps.avid.com/ProToolsFirst/

Comparison chart:
https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...mparison-table
Old 01-26-2016, 07:09 AM

Just starting out, I suggest you demo some other DAWs as well. PT may be a train you do not need to get on. If on Mac, Logic for $199 cannot be beat for all that's in there. If on PC check out Cubase, Studio One, Live, etc. They don't need iLoks. Cubase has their own dongle but it's included.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:14 AM

Awesome Awesome! I'm actually pretty familiar with Pro Tools but I'm using a version that's about 7 years old.... I'm gonna checkout 12 and see how that goes... I might also have a look at Logic.....

Thanks so much guys!

T
Old 01-26-2016, 08:34 AM

Tommy - this is good advice, I suggest! All the DAWs have their proponents and supposed strong/weak points.

The last couple of versions of Pro Tools (12.3/12.4) have really transformed what was already (obviously!) a very serious professional tool. My main concerns after several years have been addressed with track commit/freeze and especially the arrival of disk cache (in the 'vanilla' version i.e. not PT HD), which just made this run better on my system.

In recent years, many would have put you off just to avoid the having to deal with Avid but they have REALLY upped their game in the last 6 months and the results are starting to show ... if they can keep the current pace of updates whilst addressing bug fixes, even the most vocal naysayers are likely to come around!

During this time, they've apparently listened to users by deferring their heavily-trailed collaboration environment (Avid Everywhere) and focused on the above mentioned features + improving value, pricing, support plan conditions, etc. instead. However, when Everywhere arrives in V12.5 (due this quarter), for those interested, it appears to have the potential to revolutionise the way we work or open up opportunities to those of us who otherwise might be a bit isolated from the creative world.

HOWEVER (and you don't say how much experience you have), Logic is an incredible value if you're on a Mac ... to the point that it might be worth getting a Mac just for this! It includes a full set of effects, instruments, etc., the likes of which would cost you quite a bit extra to match in Pro Tools-land - many are at the level of expensive third-party plugins (like Alchemy, Drummer, etc.) It's obviously PR (Apple often have big-name Logic endorsements) but check out the recently-posted - http://www.apple.com/logic-pro/in-ac...kurstin-adele/

And you pay for Logic once (unless Apple change their current approach and charge for a future/major upgrade), whereas with Pro Tools, you'll have a recurring cost if you want to keep up-to-date. Regarding audio 'quality', both will be the same.

After all that, if you're fixed on Pro Tools and your hardware is compatible, I would definitely make sure you get V12 - if you are considering buying a previous version 'new', check back here for information on Avid policy and what version you'll end up with.

If you search around DUC, you'll find various comparisons on $ spend over a few years by going for a subscription plan or buying (+ an update plan) - https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...ware/licensing

For the cost of an iLok (not a lot in the grand scheme of things + required for many third-party plugins, even if used e.g. with Logic), you could start out with a 1 month subscription and see what you think of the latest version?

Hope this helps?!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 AM

Sheesh Righty! You've got my gears turning for sure.... I love Pro Tools but I'm certainly not opposed to trying something new, especially if Logic comes with a bunch of cool stuff..... I'll be checking out both extensively and reporting back.

Thanks so much for the info & suggestions!

T
Old 01-26-2016, 08:50 AM

Default Which Pro Tools do I really need? Suggestions appreciated!

Mac or PC, I'd definitely check out Studio One.

If you've already decided on Pro Tools for some reason, just get Pro Tools 12. I've been using Pro Tools since v5 and they've really got a good thing going with v12. I love it.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:56 AM

Probably good to post your computer specs as well. - Logic is Mac only for example.

My 2 cents, I'd stay away from any Express, or SE versions of Pro Tools. PT First is ok if you just wan't to check it out, but if you're already familiar with Pro Tools, I wouldn't bother with it either. Since you're asking the question, you probably don't need HD :)

I'd either go with PT 12 "vanilla" (the standard Pro Tools) or one of the many other current DAW's already mentioned.

Something also to keep in mind is if you'll be working with others that already have a specific DAW, it would make it easier to share sessions if you matched what they have, but I wouldn't make that my sole decision reasoning.

For Pro Tools 12 you will need an iLok 2, the best way to get one has already mentioned; buy a plug from Slate - http://www.slatedigital.com/products/rc-tube/buy/ $49 gets you a plugin and an iLok2.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 AM

Also check out Reaper.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction