Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 09-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Default What am I missing ... PT 12.8.1 missing Application menu ??...

Guys, just made a fresh reinstall of my entire OSX and apps. For first time I'm using PT 12.8.1 (was working with perpetual PT 11.xx until now).

Things go fine, test project playback ok, except... I have no Application Menu !!... I'm on 2 monitors, console view on one, track pane on second. Can't see ''Pro Tools'' but only ''Finder'' in upper left. If I close second screen, then get back to monitor one and click the App Menu bar, *then* I see appear the App menu and ''Pro Tools'' and only then can I either SAVE, Close project, close Pro Tools... Is this something I had not set properly ?

Now I'm just playing back for test... but when I'll work on a project, need to save along the way, and so on... I'll be another story...

Is there some new ''standard'' or ''default'' I need to change here ? Something wrong with my install ? Display settings ?

Tks,
Rob
Old 09-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Default Re: What am I missing ... PT 12.8.1 missing Application menu ??...

Anyone ??...

I'm still having that issue... No Pro Tools Menu. No SAVE button... Projects playback correctly... Fortunately have nothing at this time to record... Ok may not be that dramatic : buttons appear when I STOP project... No save button though (need to go the long way : File : Save...
Old 09-12-2017, 12:28 AM

The application menu bar should follow you to each monitor simply by clicking on either the Edit screen or the Mix screen. But here are a couple ideas to try:

Check "Displays" in system prefs to be sure the 2nd monitor is not scaling. Resolution should be set to "Default for display". While you're there try adjusting the underscan slider. This will sometimes reveal missing edges of the image.

Also in System Prefs >> General >> see if "Automatically hide and show menu bar" is selected. Try deselecting it. The menu bar also "hides" when you are in full screen mode. But in either of these cases you should be able to make it reappear by simply moving your curser to the top of the screen (either screen).
Old 09-12-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
The application menu bar should follow you to each monitor simply by clicking on either the Edit screen or the Mix screen. But here are a couple ideas to try:

Check "Displays" in system prefs to be sure the 2nd monitor is not scaling. Resolution should be set to "Default for display". While you're there try adjusting the underscan slider. This will sometimes reveal missing edges of the image.
Thanks very much, i will double check the pointers you suggest. But indeed, i qould expect to have no menu at all... but there is the default osx menu ! (Apple logo, Finder, etc....)

So far (i'm on a clean install), just a few tests of playbacks, i usually end up grtting the Pro Tools bar, but either after a "stop playback", or when i close second monitor... So far.... And what about getting a "save" button within PT? (Been on PT 11 until recently even though i haven't opened PT for some time. Am i dreaming thinking there "is" or "was" a save icon in PT ? (Even thiugh i might not have used that every time, it's in the current situation that i feel i could miss it...

That being said, i will double check the points you are suggesting (although i guess i would have same issues with other programs ??...). Will report back. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:42 AM

Ah, I misunderstood. The Finder's menu bar should change to the ProTools menu bar on either display as soon as you click anywhere on either the Mix window or the Edit window. In other words, sometimes you need to bring the program forward by clicking on one of it's active windows.

If you change applications by clicking on the desktop or any other window you see behind PT (or by using Command-tab), the menu bar will change even as ProTools keeps running. Bringing the PT menu bar forward would require a click on either window.

There is no save button that I know of. "Command-s" is Save (in almost every Apple application).