Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Default Oddly pitched up audio on playback

I've got a mac pro, a Mackie onyx 1640i which is a soundcard (firewire) running Pro Tools M Powered 8.0.3. There's an approved m-audio driver interfacing between the mixer and pro tools

On multiple occasions I've recorded audio and played it back with no issues. However, when I re-open the session and listen back, the audio is noticeably pitched up.

I'm not using any plugins in the session, nor is elastic audio turned on. I suspected clock, but that's set correctly and no other peripherals are connected.

This is destroying my sessions and I can't figure out why.

I'm running snow leopard 10.6.6
Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Oddly pitched up audio on playback

How does the 1640i clocking scheme work? It sounds like the clock is being changed, have you tried toggling the clock speed in whatever control panel you have to work with?
Old 05-10-2011, 03:44 PM

Solved the issue. Apparently the sample rate needs to match. i.e., the sample rate in audio/midi setup and PT needs to match. Otherwise it'll playback and worse, varispeed the bounced audio.

We're on 8.0.3, so hoping the move to 9 and a better core audio software interface will solve the issue.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela View Post
Solved the issue. Apparently the sample rate needs to match. i.e., the sample rate in audio/midi setup and PT needs to match. Otherwise it'll playback and worse, varispeed the bounced audio.
Digital audio 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevarela View Post
We're on 8.0.3, so hoping the move to 9 and a better core audio software interface will solve the issue.
Wont make a difference what version you are on. If your sample rates don't match you will have the same issue.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the reply....

I'm aware of sample rate mis-matches and 'digital audio 101'. Problem is, the mixer uses a non-standard driver to interface with Pro Tools, hence me not looking into audio midi setup for mis-matches. Pro Tools usually grabs the system clock and overrides and I'm guessing none of the viewers here are in habit of checking audio/midi setup before recording in PT.

I'm hoping the better integration of coreaudio will solve this issue in 9. Also, once clock was off, the timeline playhead wouldn't move.