Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-16-2014, 12:13 PM

Default Amp and speaker advice for home studio

Hi.

I am using Pro Tools 10 for home recording on a Windows PC. At the moment I have cobbled together a set up that includes a very good laptop, and a good audio interface but I am using a Dynacord PA amp and two Peavey speakers.

As I now have most of the stuff recorded and am at the mixing stage, I would like to buy a more suitable amp and studio speakers. Could anyone please advise on a "decent" amp/speakers at a reasonable price. I am not looking at spending a fortune but am willing to get something better than "budget" or bottom end stuff.

Thanks,

T
Old 05-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Amp and speaker advice for home studio

"in the biz" we call these Studio Monitors.

You have two choices, passive (needs an amp, like you're doing now) and active, where the amps are built in.

BTW, I'm only using LMGTFY because I don't know how to make a link out if Google results. :)

http://bit.ly/1gOAfJe

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:39 PM

If you toss up a $number, you'll get plenty of recommendations in that price range The new JBL LSR308 are a great choice for under $500(get friendly with your local GC "Pro" person for better-than-average pricing). Moving up the $$ ladder, look at Adam7x or 8x, Genelec M040, DynAudio......

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you toss up a $number, you'll get plenty of recommendations in that price range The new JBL LSR308 are a great choice for under $500(get friendly with your local GC "Pro" person for better-than-average pricing). Moving up the $$ ladder, look at Adam7x or 8x, Genelec M040, DynAudio......
And don't sneeze at Yamaha MSP5's at $275 each. Decent sound at good volumes and important for a home studio that's not a permanent setup where you can control who's in the room and what they do (like keeping kids and pets away) they have a metal grille over the woofer and a minimalist protective covering over the tweeter.

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2014, 05:55 AM

Thanks for all that.

The Adams and Genelecs are all above current budget range.

Looking at the price of suggestions above I have come up with a short list in the sort of region I am looking to spend for a pair (~£400):

JBL LSR 308 £384
KRK ROKIT RP8G3 £399
Yamaha MSP% £418
Presonus Eris E8 £400
M_Audio Bx 8D2 £199

I have looked at some comparisons on YouTube and I am at the moment leaning towards the KRK's.

Based on the above models and from your personal experience, are there any of the above that jump out as being a better choice or any that are not so good?

Are there any others in the £400 per pair range that are suitable but not yet mentioned?

Also, are the M-Audio Bx 8D2's £200 worse thasn the others?

Many thanks,

T
Old 05-17-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL4500 View Post
Thanks for all that.

The Adams and Genelecs are all above current budget range.

Looking at the price of suggestions above I have come up with a short list in the sort of region I am looking to spend for a pair (~£400):

JBL LSR 308 £384
KRK ROKIT RP8G3 £399
Yamaha MSP% £418
Presonus Eris E8 £400
M_Audio Bx 8D2 £199

I have looked at some comparisons on YouTube and I am at the moment leaning towards the KRK's.

Based on the above models and from your personal experience, are there any of the above that jump out as being a better choice or any that are not so good?

Are there any others in the £400 per pair range that are suitable but not yet mentioned?

Also, are the M-Audio Bx 8D2's £200 worse thasn the others?

Many thanks,

T
Of the ones you cite I'd go with the JBL LSR308's even though I own a pair of the Yamaha MSP5's (as one of many monitor speakers I have at my disposal). The JBL's have a large woofer ( 8 inch versus 5 inch in the MSP5) and have better dispersion of the highs than the MSP5's.

As a side question - the prices you cite - do those include import duty and taxes? If they don't when I use an online currency converter the price for the JBL's comes out as 297 British Pounds as they are going for $500 US per pair and it seems like your prices might be somewhat high.

QAPLA!
Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 AM

Hi.

Thanks for that. All prices are fully inclusive and delivered next day from Amazon. I usually find Amazon are cheaper than any other supplier and the service in case of anything wrong is usually second to none.

So JBL over KRK? Anyone else got any views on this?

Also, does anyone have any views on ?"Also, are the M-Audio Bx 8D2's £200 worse than the others?"

I have had another name thrown into the mix, Equator D5 (£383), but these are 5.25" woofer and 53Hz to 20kHz (not quite so good?). Anyone any experience of these?

Many thanks,

T
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Hmmm, Equator D8's belong on the list(except they might be slightly out of range). Having just replaced M-Audio BX5s's with JBL LSR305's, I am not a fan of the M-Audio(not a fan of the entire line is more accurate). My experience with KRK has been pretty solid, but JBL has something good happening with this new waveguide that gives them an edge(to me anyway). If a 5" woofer is enough, I would go JBL or Equator(I do like a coaxial).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-17-2014, 09:12 AM

I really like Genelecs and it has nothing to do with Genelec being a finnish company and myself being a finn