Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-18-2001, 05:27 PM

Default Re: If you like the TDM plug in setting, how many of you Audio Suite them?e with i

Err OK an eq just sits there right? A compressor snaps and reacts, so does a gate, it make's my head hurt this kinda stuff being 'performed' by AS. But it doesn't take much to make my brain ache!

Jules

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited January 18, 2001).]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-19-2001, 10:06 AM

Default Re: If you like the TDM plug in setting, how many of you Audio Suite them?e with i

Ahhhh I get ya now

Yeah I suppose any AS plugin doing some serious crunching could be open to odd behaviour especailly - shame it was misbehaving when trying to key off other things though

Still in the end it was quicked I believe to do a bounce to disk and print the FX (bouncing 2 at once - one left + one right). Then I dont have to worry about plugin delays as well - bonus.

Cheers for everyones advice on this anyway!

Cya
Old 01-20-2001, 07:15 PM

I dig the play list thang (kinda new to me )
I used it on Tuned vocals (the real ones were hidden underneath, cool)

Jules

BTW I am not satisfied wit drum compression in PT so I plan to buss out to ext outboard and get 'back on track'

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 01-21-2001, 08:24 PM

I started ASing everything and it works pretty great, even though my first day ti took FOREVER to decide on some settings (I seem to forget that I'll still have the original). But so far, every day is easier, and I am pretty happy, because I seldomg go back to the original tracks and ther just seems to be less on my mind, ie. I don't have to make a desicion for something over and over. I just decide once and it's done.

What puzzles me a bit is the difference between output level when I use BF's 1176 for example in Real Time (RTAS, sorry), and when I want to print the effect using AS. Usually AS just goes through the roof, level-wise. The first time I tried it it scared me a bit, I almost fell off my chair. I am glad none of the clients were there. I used the same exact settins as the real time plug and everything, plus I didn't change the channel level. Has that ever happened to someone else?

A quick question about stereo drum processing...I close miked the drumset for this project mainly because of the ****** room it was recorded in (ah, the joys of budget recordings), and now I was wanting to somehow simulate a room. I would agree that it's just not the same, but would any of you (jules, etc) know of good settings? I haven't done too much room miking myself (bad rooms to record in down here), yet I dig the way it sounds, but can't seem to find something that sounds even remotely as pleasant as a real good room. I guess that is why they still use rooms!!!!!

But seriously...any tips for this struggling engineer with limited resources? I would appreciate it...I can send you a postcard from Paraguay as a way of thanking you.

Or an alligator's head. Just kidding. They're nearly extinct. Ah, the joys of ignorance in the culture at large. What was that saying? Never underestimate the stupidity of a large crowd?

Juergen
Old 01-23-2001, 01:23 AM

Jules,

What's the problem? You have a Pro Control and I would assume a few farm cards, so why do you want to commit your drums to AS when you know as well as I do, that in rock, the drums are the most important aspect of the center of your mix.

I don't mean be be jumping on your ass, I'm just curious why you want to do this to your sacred drums. Do it to everything else first and then see what you need to do to your drums.

Your one of the rock guys on this BBS so we are waiting to hear some results.

No pressure of course.
Old 01-23-2001, 04:09 PM

What do you use/do if you have to batch-print a number of fx on large nimbers of files ? Would you leave PT for say Spark or PEAK ? AS the hell out of 'em or use RT-plugs and print to disk ? (rerecord)

good topic

------------------
Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions
Old 01-24-2001, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by E-an:
I've found recently that I've been AS-ing more and more as I've been hitting the DSP capacity of our system (2x dsp farms). I do agree its a good way of committing to a mix - still the tweaker in me still fights to find any way of keeping the plugins resident on the tracks

I did come across a problem recently though that I couldnt resolve! Sometimes when I use gates on kicks + snrs I key off an duplicate of the track moved slightly earlier in time - usually to get the gate opening fractionally b4 the actuall sound allowing me to have a fast attack without clipping the front edge off the sound (or making it sound un-natural).

I did try to AS using this routine - setting up the external key + keying off the track shifted earlier in time. Only problem was that the sound was definitely different in terms of the way the gate was behaving - I know the settings were the same becuase I had used a preset. So Im just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem / used it succesfully?

Many thanks in advance,
e
This may be something you've already thought of and prefer not to do, but just in case you haven't...
I've been doing this for years with drums in PT, esp. toms. I just edit out the bleed on the tom tracks, and then do fade-outs on the tail of each region. Much cleaner than gates, and you can be sure you don't miss anything! Plus, no plug-in needed. If you still want a little of the bleed, copy it to a new track, use the same voice (on TDM systems) and lower the level till you're happy! No plugs, no extra voices used, VERY precise gating. It only takes a little longer than setting up gates, maybe less if you have to wait for AS processing on each track.