Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 06-02-2018, 08:30 AM

Default Re: „AAE -9173 error“ - the biggest pro tools workflow killer over the last years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynedelario View Post
I don't normally buy into the hype on these types of solutions, but I was losing my mind with -9173 on a session with 35% usage. Did all the optimization routines and nothing helped until I used TURBO BOOST SWITCHER! I have 7 inserts on my master aux as well (PA, Waves, Slate, Izotope etc).
Same here. It's made a huge difference on my MBP. For me once I would get above 40% or so, it was constant -9173's. It's the only thing that has helped at all. I've actually been mixing a project the last week that's hitting the 256 voice limit. CPU hitting 80-85% range. I've seen a couple -9173's, generally only when instantiating a plugin while playing back ,or forgetting to close Safari.

Chaining multiple aux instead of one, can have an affect on core usage. Since one channel can't share cores, it helps spread the load more evenly. In my experience it depends on what plugs you are using in the chain as to how much it helps. If you have 2 or more CPU heavy plugs in a chain, it can help for sure IME. On the other hand, if the plugs in the chain are light on CPU, it may not make much of a difference, if any.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Default Re: „AAE -9173 error“ - the biggest pro tools workflow killer over the last years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Hey dwaynedelario,

do you have most of waves plug ins?
so I can upload a little test session (without audiofiles). and i am sure you have the same problems with it :)
in the session are the following waves plug ins:
Sheps 73
Kramer Pie
H-EQ
NLS
H-Delay
H-Reverb
Kramer Tape
Abbey Road Vinyl
DPR-402
CODEX
sheps parallel particles
Greg Wels Mix Centric
Maserati GRP
ProLimiter (Avid)
hey Franklyn. Yes I own mercury. Feel free to post the session and I’ll try it out. Will 9173s occur if no audio is being processed?
Avid OMNI+Artist Mix
Old 06-02-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Hey dwaynedelario,

do you have most of waves plug ins?
so I can upload a little test session (without audiofiles). and i am sure you have the same problems with it :)
in the session are the following waves plug ins:
Sheps 73
Kramer Pie
H-EQ
NLS
H-Delay
H-Reverb
Kramer Tape
Abbey Road Vinyl
DPR-402
CODEX
sheps parallel particles
Greg Wels Mix Centric
Maserati GRP
ProLimiter (Avid)
Also looking at your list, I can tell you that Codex causes massive headaches on my rig. I have to freeze it, even in light sessions.
Avid OMNI+Artist Mix
Old 06-03-2018, 08:38 AM

I'm not sure how relevant this is to others issues, but i've become convinced the poor low latency performance on PT NON-DSP is connected to how PT handles the graphics, rather than the audio.

This is a quick demo video I've just made.

https://youtu.be/syhrOtDpaWg

Its a typical rock/metal session i'm working on at the moment . 60 tracks of audio, 16 strereo auxes for bussing & FX, & bunch of plugins.

Waves, Sonnox & AVID plugins used liberally throughout.

I've armed a pair of tracks & am attempting to overdub with a 32sample buffer.

With the Edit view running as normal in the background, we get the CPU spikes many of us have become familiar with.

Switch off the Edit view (PT still recording in the background) & the CPU usage massively drops off. Switch Edit view back on & they return.

Obviously working in the dark without the Edit view on is not very practical, but this does possibly point to where AVID could be making code optimisations .

Just my 2 cents/pence worth.
Mobile: 2017 Macbook Pro, OSX 10.13.6, PT 2018.x.x, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Last edited by Ru_C; 06-03-2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 AM

I mean:

"Initial testing of Pro Tools with macOS 10.13.4 has shown serious problems with CPU performance.

Avid is working to find a resolution for this.

It is recommended that users refrain from updating to 10.13.4 until further notice."

I have the same experience as Franklin.. Bombarded with 9173. Restarting PT helps for some time.

Izotope RX here..

Franklyn : could it be when the plug-in delay on a channel is bigger than ADC can handle? = 16384 samples..
RX often exceeds the maximum delay PT can handle looking at the channel DLY info..

Last edited by jchan; 06-04-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ru_C View Post
I'm not sure how relevant this is to others issues, but i've become convinced the poor low latency performance on PT NON-DSP is connected to how PT handles the graphics, rather than the audio.

This is a quick demo video I've just made.

https://youtu.be/syhrOtDpaWg

Its a typical rock/metal session i'm working on at the moment . 60 tracks of audio, 16 strereo auxes for bussing & FX, & bunch of plugins.

Waves, Sonnox & AVID plugins used liberally throughout.

I've armed a pair of tracks & am attempting to overdub with a 32sample buffer.

With the Edit view running as normal in the background, we get the CPU spikes many of us have become familiar with.

Switch off the Edit view (PT still recording in the background) & the CPU usage massively drops off. Switch Edit view back on & they return.

Obviously working in the dark without the Edit view on is not very practical, but this does possibly point to where AVID could be making code optimisations .

Just my 2 cents/pence worth.
Can confirm I experience similar phenomena. Hiding Edit/Mix seems to prevent wild CPU. Same with integrated or dedicated graphics card installed. Checking or unchecking “Enable GPU” in PT preferences makes no difference.