Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 11-06-2015, 05:00 PM

Default Windows 7 to Win 8.1 is it worth it?

I will not go for windows 10, I've read up on it and I just don't want it.

So is there really that much benefit to upgrade my DAW to 8.1 from Windows 7 SP1.
I have 8.1 on my desktop machine and have finally got it so that it is as close to the windows 7 look as I can get it.
I guess I just hate this whole trend to everything being apps.

So back to the question. Is it worth it?
Performance wise will it be noticed or maybe just do a windows 7 clean install to freshen things up, a clean
install always runs snappier until the registry gets bloated and full of junk entries.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Windows 7 to Win 8.1 is it worth it?

If you don't like the look of Windows 8 then why would you not want Windows 10? W10 is visually more like W7 with some great improvements. ('great' being subjective of course)

But, to answer your main question, NO. I was a huge fan of Windows 8, I still miss my Start Screen, but I can't see any reason to install an old OS when Windows 10 is here. I would stick with what you have and wait until Avid approves Windows 10.

If you just want to get rid of junk reg entries run Ccleaner.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkRider View Post
I have 8.1 on my desktop machine and have finally got it so that it is as close to the windows 7 look as I can get it.
There is no performance increase with Pro Tools in W8.1 over W7. For the time and effort it takes to make W8.1 a usable desktop OS for my own audio workflow needs, I myself just went back to W7. I found myself tweaking W8 to match my workflow needs that I already had setup with W7(which is also tweaked and modified). You might want to also consider dual booting with W7 and W10.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-07-2015, 04:34 PM

I guess I need to think about Win 10.
If I keep the computer in an offline situation as a dedicated DAW machine,
need I be concerned about things that come built in like that new Cortana garbage, the new M.S. Browser?
Can that stuff be removed/uninstalled or turned off through component services as you can in Windows 7?

I don't need Cortana, X-Box live, Microsoft Office , Games or Apps, etc.
I just want a O.S. that I can optimize for using (obviously) as a DAW.

Can I manage Windows 10 the way I want?
I have read that Win 10 has some O.S. optimazation internally toward audio but some of that other stuff like Cortana just turns me off.
I believe the Win Pro 10 allows you to not have to receive auto updates, which is moot if the computer isn't online in the first place but I want control of my computer as much as I can.

I have CCleaner but I'm not sure it gets all the entries cleaned from installing and uninstalling software. Of course on a DAW you try and keep that to a minimum.

I appreciate your info. Thanks
Old 11-08-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I guess I need to think about Win 10.
If I keep the computer in an offline situation as a dedicated DAW machine,
need I be concerned about things that come built in like that new Cortana garbage, the new M.S. Browser?
Can that stuff be removed/uninstalled or turned off through component services as you can in Windows 7?
There are many good resources out there to help one disable Windows 10 tracking. Here are some other popular resources worth reading:
My own main workstation used for critical work is always offline. I really have no need to have it online. Not every computer needs to be connected to the net.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 11-08-2015, 05:32 PM

For me 8.1 and now 10 have been way snappier than 7.
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Old 11-08-2015, 09:30 PM

I wanted to say thanks for the input.

Shan thanks for the links, I'll be reading through that.
Bob, I have noticed 8.1 being snappier also on my basic desktop machine.

I'll review this info, probably get Win 10 installed and massage it even though it will be offline. I appreciate the help in getting that little incentive to do the O.S. upgrade.

If I'm not mistaken I think I install Win 8.1 then let windows update the machine to win 10 automagically so that I can get the official M.S. auth/registration code.
Then I can take the registration code, wipe the drive, do a clean install from the windows 10 ISO and start fresh from there.

Now I just have to get my head around spending a day at the puter doing all this crap, install, modify,testing, making bakup disc images as I go etc.
Installing PTools won't be bad it's all the plugins and authorizations that make ya crazy. Wee what fun!!

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:12 AM

Not sure if it's out yet, but the next build of Windows 10 will allow a clean install using the Product Key from Windows 7 or 8 instead of first doing the update in place and then a clean install.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I wanted to say thanks for the input.

Shan thanks for the links, I'll be reading through that.
Bob, I have noticed 8.1 being snappier also on my basic desktop machine.

I'll review this info, probably get Win 10 installed and massage it even though it will be offline. I appreciate the help in getting that little incentive to do the O.S. upgrade.

If I'm not mistaken I think I install Win 8.1 then let windows update the machine to win 10 automagically so that I can get the official M.S. auth/registration code.
Then I can take the registration code, wipe the drive, do a clean install from the windows 10 ISO and start fresh from there.

Now I just have to get my head around spending a day at the puter doing all this crap, install, modify,testing, making bakup disc images as I go etc.
Installing PTools won't be bad it's all the plugins and authorizations that make ya crazy. Wee what fun!!

Thanks again.
I feel ya! Good luck. I went through this process of updating to Win10 and then wiping everything and installing fresh when it first came out. Remembering what plugins need to be de-authorized first, what needs to be backed up, making sure you have all your plugin installers, getting everything authorized... ugh

Keep in mind Windows 10 is still not supported by Avid.

I'd say "have fun", but there is nothing fun about this process
Old 11-15-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Not sure if it's out yet, but the next build of Windows 10 will allow a clean install using the Product Key from Windows 7 or 8 instead of first doing the update in place and then a clean install.

Cheers,
This was great info and I downloaded the recently released ISO file today.
Win10_1511_English_x64.iso
Now I just have to have the nerve to start all this when PT is Windows 10 Certified.