Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 11-08-2015, 05:54 PM

Default HDX Offline Bounce Aux Issue

I have a weird thing that happens when I offline bounce on my HDX system. After offline bounce, on the next playback audio that is bussed thru auxes continues to play out even if my auxes are muted. If I mute/unmute the audio tracks, the issue disappears and everything plays normal again.

- This doesn't happen after real time bounce.

- I don't have to bounce the whole song. A quick 5 sec bounce creates the issue.

- I notice it in sessions that were created on my previous HD Native setup or outside systems sent to me for mix.

- Deleting all plugins from the session doesn't solve it.

- The audio tracks are bussed to one aux and that aux is sent to the main master fader out.

- sessions that have stayed completely in my HDX environment don't seem to cause the effect.

Anybody experience anything remotely close to this?

My system is Mac Pro 5,1 6core, Yosemite, HDX, Symphony I/O, PT 12.3 (happened on 12.2.1 also)

=============== admin edit:
Logged at http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ed/216616-3779

Last edited by DigiTechSupt; 11-20-2015 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added IdeaScale link.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:27 AM

Default Re: HDX Offline Bounce Aux Issue

Yup,
I'm getting something very similar - reverbs on auxes playing at much higher level after an offline bounce. Quickest way for me to fix it is to close and reopen the session.

Pete
Old 11-10-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajsmoove View Post
I have a weird thing that happens when I offline bounce on my HDX system. After offline bounce, on the next playback audio that is bussed thru auxes continues to play out even if my auxes are muted. If I mute/unmute the audio tracks, the issue disappears and everything plays normal again.

- This doesn't happen after real time bounce.

- I don't have to bounce the whole song. A quick 5 sec bounce creates the issue.

- I notice it in sessions that were created on my previous HD Native setup or outside systems sent to me for mix.

- Deleting all plugins from the session doesn't solve it.

- The audio tracks are bussed to one aux and that aux is sent to the main master fader out.

- sessions that have stayed completely in my HDX environment don't seem to cause the effect.

Anybody experience anything remotely close to this?

My system is Mac Pro 5,1 6core, Yosemite, HDX, Symphony I/O, PT 12.3 (happened on 12.2.1 also)

Having an identical issue here. Mac Pro 6,1 6-Core, Yosemite 10.10.4 (clean install), HDX2 in Sonnet chassis, Symphony I/O, SSL AWS948... Happened on 12.2.1 and now on 12.3.

Any audio bussed to an Aux is still audible after Offline Bounce with the Aux muted or is heard at increased volume (with slightly audible phasing) with Aux un-muted. Muting/un-muting the source tracks fixes the problem.

I can't seem to pin down the cause. On 12.2.1 I was able to reproduce by creating a blank session, creating 2 Audio Tracks, printing tone to one and pink noise to the other using Audio Suite Signal Generator. Bus those to a stereo Aux, hard panned to clearly hear the 2 tracks, and offline bounce. After the bounce, the issue would occur repeatably, even after trashing prefs and rebooting.

After updating to 12.3, it's hit or miss if the bug will come back using the above test. I have created a few sessions, and some of them have the bug and some don't. The bug SEEMS to be saved with the session, but I can't confirm that, as I have only been testing and not doing full-time work on PT12 (this partition is a test install to pave the way to move all of our rooms to 12...eventually).

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Glad to know its not just me!!!!

It seems to only happen with offline bounce. Real time doesn't cause it. It doesn't happen in 11.3.1. I did an uninstall/reinstall then back to 12.3.

It does seem to be saved in the I/O. After experimenting I've been able to pin it down to the output busses. If I delete the outputs and then set them to default under the output and bus I/O tabs, then reassign the track outputs to the default monitor output the issue goes away. I don't have to delete all my busses/auxes, just the ones that are routed to physical outputs. The internal ones don't seem to be a cause. I can even reload my previous I/O settings after loading the defaults and it seems to stay gone. I haven't been able to intentionally recreate the problem by making a new session. Its always on previous sessions.

Also on one session, I had a two track beat that wasn't sent to an aux but was doubled and phasey after offline bounce. It seems to be a purely playback thing too. If I bounce back to back, the files are fine. And if I mute the aux, even though I can hear it playing back, in the bounce it will be muted. I think the internal routing of 12 on the HDX mixer glitches after offline bounce and ignores routing, sending the audio out a different path that can be heard thru the monitor output. The mute/unmute resets it somehow.

I have no idea how to log this bug since I haven't been able to purposely reproduce it. Its incredibly annoying!!!!!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 AM

Yes, the trick now is to get Avid to acknowledge it then address it. I've got no idea how to submit bugs anymore, years ago I used to send stuff to Paul V but I assume he's long gone or moved higher up.

Pete
Old 11-11-2015, 09:30 AM

Agreed Pete. We could post a bug report on Ideascale, but if only the 3 of us vote, then I wouldn't hold your breath
Old 11-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Avid

Hey guys. We're aware of the report and working on identifying a solution. Thanks for bringing it to our attention
Old 11-11-2015, 12:38 PM

I've experienced the same as you guys. Also that a muted print audio track is audible:

1) Offline bounce
2) Drag the clip to the muted print track
3) Even though it's muted, it plays through the main outs

I can't trust it, so I've stopped using it.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM

Great to hear that this is being looked into, Connor!!
Also glad to hear from more people that have experienced this.
With so few people reporting the issue, I was worried that this might fly under the radar.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:21 AM

Looks like Avid submitted this on Ideascale for us...

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ed/216616-3779

Please vote!!