Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-18-2018, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Mbox3 Pro: +4 Line Input Unity Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Well besides the RTFM part which would have explained you are using the wrong input for line level.
The manual says nothing about the gain knob being bypassed when using the correct line input.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v90_69711.pdf

Also, from what I can tell from the image in the manual, there is only one option for a 1/4" TRS input in the rear of the unit, so I'm not sure how the wrong input is being used.

Do you have one of these?
Old 10-18-2018, 02:32 PM

The manual talks about Mic/DI and Mic inputs and how the gain knob varies those, and it separately talks about the line inputs. So not sure how else I would interpret this...

It’s easy to make this mistake when just plugging in stuff but step back and look at the bloody thing. The combo connector staring you right in the face is labeled Mic/DI not Line In. The line-in connectors are labeled line-in....

If you are using line-in and the MBox 3 Pro preamp gain knobs are adjusting things then I would look for an explanation like, uh alien abuction, ...

Avid also discussed this family of products in a little more detail in an old tech paper, which nobody will find unless they know to look. https://www.avid.com/~/media/avid/fi...logy_guide.pdf. But that should not be needed to operate any of these interfaces.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
The manual talks about Mic/DI and Mic inputs and how the gain knob varies those, and it separately talks about the line inputs.

It’s easy to make this mistake when just plugging in stuff but step back and look at the bloody thing. The combo connector staring you right in the face is labeled Mic/DI not Line In. The line-in connectors are labeled line-in....

Avid also discussed this family of products in a little more detail in an old tech paper, which nobody will find unless they know to look. https://www.avid.com/~/media/avid/fi...logy_guide.pdf. But that should not be needed to
Operate any of these interfaces.
I remember the cables all being plugged into the back of the MBox. I admit I've found some issues with how other engineers set a couple of things, but they are DEFINITELY not plugging anything into the Hi-Z jack in front of the MBox.

The staff engineers there are not that careless.

I'll add some info to this thread after I go back there.

Are you 100% certain that the correct line input bypasses the gain knob?

I appreciate your input (pun intended), but it would be great if an MBox owner could chime on this as well.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roivas View Post
I remember the cables all being plugged into the back of the MBox. I admit I've found some issues with how other engineers set a couple of things, but they are DEFINITELY not plugging anything into the Hi-Z jack in front of the MBox.

The staff engineers there are not that careless.

I'll add some info to this thread after I go back there.

Are you 100% certain that the correct line input bypasses the gain knob.
No I am not certain. I just like going onto public forums posting incorrect information.

But if you actually you know, RTFM the paper I linked to..

You might want to pull in your attitude. I know these products very well, as do many folks here, most of us do not use them daily/anymore. You started with a thread here about wanting to find info to show *other* people are doing stuff wrong. Don’t want to measure stuff. Keep questioning help provided. Don’t read stuff well. Snap back about comments about gain staging with your ears but it seems like you have been twiddling a knob connected to nothing. Etc. Just go back to the location, get yourself sorted out and get to work.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
No I am not certain. I just like going onto public forums posting incorrect information.

But if you actually you know, RTFM the paper I linked to..

You might want to pull in your attitude. I know these products very well, as do many folks here, most of us do not use them daily/anymore. You started with a thread here about wanting to find info to show *other* people are doing stuff wrong. Don’t want to measure stuff. Keep questioning help provided. Don’t read stuff well. Snap back about comments about gain staging with your ears but it seems like you have been twiddling a knob connected to nothing. Etc. Just go back to the location, get yourself sorted out and get to work.
More condescension seen so often on these kinds of message boards.

Anyway...

From the Third-Generation Mbox Technology Guide kindly provided by Darryl Ramm:
"Line Input
The Mbox Pro interface is specifically optimized for desktop recording scenarios, where a user is likely to leave the line inputs plugged in at all times. A Front/Rear switch enables the user to choose between the preamp signals or line inputs on the back of the interface. The signal from the line input does not pass through the preamp; instead it connects directly to the converter, ensuring that the sound is not colored in any way. The line input features a +4/-10 switch so a user can switch between professional- and consumer-level signals."

Seems like this could've answered the question in one post without going into gain staging and voltmeters.

BUT:

A Sound on Sound article indicated that you couldn't bypass the preamps on a pre-generation 3 MBox.

The rear image of the MBox in the manual I was referencing had firewire 400 ports, which means it was written for an older MBox.

Last edited by Roivas; 10-18-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:24 PM

What did your last slave die of?

I could get to the point, but I was distracted trying to help you thinking you had an Mbox not an Mbox Pro... and I told you the situation earlier. You just wanted to keep questioning everything. I am not sure I am buying any of your “experienced” engineer claims.

And now.... there is no Mbox 3 (of any variant) with FireWire 800 ports so who knows what the hell you are looking at. Maybe confusing that with a USB port? Sounds like you might be better off finding somebody else who uses the setup at this location how it all works and how they use it.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
What did your last slave die of?

I could get to the point, but I was distracted trying to help you thinking you had an Mbox not an Mbox Pro... and I told you the situation earlier. You just wanted to keep questioning everything. I am not sure I am buying any of your “experienced” engineer claims.

And now.... there is no Mbox 3 (of any variant) with FireWire 800 ports so who knows what the hell you are looking at. Maybe confusing that with a USB port? Sounds like you might be better off finding somebody else who uses the setup at this location how it all works and how they use it.
Pretty sure I said "400" and was possibly referring to an older generation's manual. Of course, I'm a guy who doesn't read well.

See attached image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 3.28.12 PM.jpg (39.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Roivas; 10-18-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:34 PM

Now, not to make too many excuses for myself, but I Googled "Mbox 3 user manual" and clicked on this link: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Guide/en375699

I then made the mistake of going to the PDF in the third bullet point.

Last edited by Roivas; 10-18-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxPHHTtE66c

(again, I didn't say 800)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I am not sure I am buying any of your “experienced” engineer claims.
Y'know, that really hurts, Darryl.