Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2020, 04:20 AM

Default Re: Avid will announce new DSP product(s) next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Couldn’t have said it better. I’m on Motu AVB eco system: 828ES, 1248 and 16A. I run Pro Tools on Mac mini i5 from late 2012 (ancient machine ). I have check errors disabled and also dynamic plugins...or whatever that is, disabled too. Latency are so low that I track at 64 buffer without noticing any latency. And did it with sessions wih plugins also, you only have to be careful plugins you use don’t introduce additional latency (in this case I would disable them too, just for tracking)
No problems using a system with mixed interface types? The 828ES is thunderbolt/USB 2 and the other two interfaces being AVB. IIRC the AVB implementation doesn't have direct h/w playthrough like the 828ES.

QAPLA!
Old 11-12-2020, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
No problems using a system with mixed interface types? The 828ES is thunderbolt/USB 2 and the other two interfaces being AVB. IIRC the AVB implementation doesn't have direct h/w playthrough like the 828ES.
828ES is avb too. My chain (when needed) is:

Mac mini -> thunderbolt —> 828ES -> avb -> motu avb switcher -> 1248
-> 16A
This gives me the lowest latency

I also can plug the motu avb switcher to the Mac mini directly and from the switch to the 3 interfaces.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:46 AM

So Avid have kind of done what UAD should’ve done a long time ago, certainly with Luna. Being able to use DSP when you want, but basically running natively and allowing for your plugins to run on DSP or natively. This way the fact that your DSP products have limited processing power, is not a big issue or as increasingly embarrassing as CPU’s get more powerful every year.

Another thing it kinda tells me, is that HDX might be on its way out.
Use your DSP for on the way in, if you want, but basically run natively.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
So Avid have kind of done what UAD should’ve done a long time ago, certainly with Luna. Being able to use DSP when you want, but basically running natively and allowing for your plugins to run on DSP or natively. This way the fact that your DSP products have limited processing power, is not a big issue or as increasingly embarrassing as CPU’s get more powerful every year.

Agreed!

2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB / 1TB, macOSX 13.6.6, 2019 i9 MacBook Pro (15,3), macOSX 14.4.1, PT Ulti 2024.3.0, DAR 5.1, MDA Creator1.5, Rx10 Advanced, Ozone 10 Advanced, Kontakt 7, Soundminer v6.1Pro, Spanner 4, PaulXStretch,
EuControl 2023.11.0, Avid Control 2023.11.0, Avid S1, iPad Pros 12.9" gen 3 & gen 4, Apollo 8 Duo, UAD-2 Satellite Quad, Glyph 2TB tb3 NVMe SSD, x2 Glyph 2TB SSDs, x1 Glyph 4TB SSD, OWC tb3 Dock, OWC Thunderbay 8 62TB
Old 11-12-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
But still pay attention to what the actual RTL is... Apollo Interfaces are very nice toys but they are not "zero" latency and as pointed out not the lowest latency .
I’ve avoided them in the past because of huge latency in the plugs (when used in PT anyway) because though that wasn’t an issue for mixing, it was for my composer template. I’m a little grey about this: are the newer Hexa-core interfaces supposed to run most of those plugins with comparable latency to AAX-DSP plugins now? (You can often strap an AAX-DSP plug on with no issue in tracking or on an instrument.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
folks claiming latency is critical and trying to run with say 64 sample buffers but have ignore errors checked in Pro Tools and it introducing additional latency...
Ignoring errors *increases* latency? Wow. Would have thought it would simply allow you to use lower buffer sizes at your own risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Which is the best of both worlds. That was effectively the strategy many of us began attempting when RTAS first became a thing. It took a lot of careful planning, though, and it had its workarounds. It looks to me like Avid have finally achieved something, here.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-12-2020, 10:57 AM

Now that it’s announced, and specs are there (coreaudio, <1ms latency, onboard DSP) I wonder this - if you are using it with another platform (Cubase etc.) and decide you no longer want the Pro Tools subscription/ yearly update, will the hardware continue to work? Will you still be able to get updated drivers for it?

Old 11-12-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I think you’re right with your observation but Avid‘s approach seems pretty clever to me. Limited DSP power to the involved channels for input and native mixing. Clever software helps setting everything like it’s needed. I’ll have to prove it...
My main question is if all of the hardware controls on Pro Tools Carbon can be controlled via EuCon? Including preamps and monitoring? That would be great.
It’s a promising project imho.

Best

Mark
Old 11-12-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Maybe for less-involved scenarios, but dedicated DSP still is very useful for people in certain situations (mixers in music and post). Things change but that doesn’t.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:54 AM

So if I am using an HD i/o and HD Omni with HDX cards, I cannot get the automatic low-latency by disabling non-DSP plugins while in Record like you can now with the Carbon interface?

How can I even have the HD i/o and Carbon be combined on one system?
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12