Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2020, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Avid will announce new DSP product(s) next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinstar View Post
But in your next Post you talk about using the Apollo for Cue mixes... So are you monitoring through your DAW or not?
We do monitor thru the DAW, thru our SSL and sometimes via apollo cue mix. We have 3 studio rooms, all with different setups.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-11-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinstar View Post
A Silverface Apollo 8 with a Thunderbolt Card.

What‘s the Interface with the least Converter delay you know?
I’m not sure about the exact numbers, but I believe the round trip latency of those silver face Apollo’s was pretty poor on FW.
I seem to remember there was some furore about the TB card for that model, not actually making the interface a thunderbolt interface.
Rather it was FireWire over thunderbolt, which probably didn’t help latency.
Maybe someone else here remembers the ordeal better than I do...

So you may want to test what the actual round trip latency of your Apollo is at 96k 64 buffer. It could be well above 4ms.

I believe the current lowest latency interface is the PreSonus Quantum but I’m not sure. I haven’t been keeping track.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:26 PM

Anything below 10ms has always been okay here. When someone complains, I mute monitoring for few secs and say done. Then it is magically okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I’m not sure about the exact numbers, but I believe the round trip latency of those silver face Apollo’s was pretty poor on FW.

I seem to remember there was some furore about the TB card for that model, not actually making the interface a thunderbolt interface.

So you may want to test what the actual round trip latency of your Apollo is at 96k 64 buffer. It could be well above 4ms.

I believe the current lowest latency interface is the PreSonus Quantum but I’m not sure. I haven’t been keeping track.

Thanks for some really usefull stuff! Will check!
Old 11-11-2020, 01:43 PM

Default Avid will announce new DSP product(s) next week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Anything below 10ms has always been okay here. When someone complains, I mute monitoring for few secs and say done. Then it is magically okay.

I don‘t know... Doesn‘t sound cool to me... Why not invest in a better sounding solution, maybe the results would be better, everyone would be happier and the music would be more musical ?
In any case - let‘s see what we get tomorrow..,
Old 11-11-2020, 01:55 PM

TDM has always been praised. However when you keep adding plugins it is typical to have 350 samples of plugin latency in 48k session. That is over 7ms without AD/DA conversion latency

Old 11-11-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post

All good points, there have been a mountain of RTL measurements on Apollo interfaces. Many threads on many different forums.

I think the "Firewire over Thunderbolt" comment and additional latency applies to the earlier Apollo Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt 1) options card for the silver Apollo Firewire boxes, not the Thunderbolt 2 or 3 cards and even for the Thunderbolt (1) card that also run in those boxes, and even for the Thunderbolt 1 card I think was addressed with a firmware update that disabled the Firewire capability. Start here if unsure. https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...tion-Card-Info

But still pay attention to what the actual RTL is... Apollo Interfaces are very nice toys but they are not "zero" latency and as pointed out not the lowest latency . I have no horse in this latency debate, the arguments are a frequent waste of time on DUC. If it's important for you then deal with it, if not then don't. But I do get frustrated with folks that never actually test/measure/understand stuff, so we see things like folks claiming latency is critical and trying to run with say 64 sample buffers but have ignore errors checked in Pro Tools and it introducing additional latency... or over in Apollo Console land folks sticking say high latency plugins into the console and wondering what is going on.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:42 PM

In the video you can clearly see the Texas Instruments DSP chips they use for HDX on the Logic board inside what looks like a 2 rack space chassis. Then the Audio cables get connected at the end so this a new I/O with on-board DSP

if its under 2 grand it could be cool
Old 11-11-2020, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
All good points, there have been a mountain of RTL measurements on Apollo interfaces. Many threads on many different forums.

I think the "Firewire over Thunderbolt" comment and additional latency applies to the earlier Apollo Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt 1) options card for the silver Apollo Firewire boxes, not the Thunderbolt 2 or 3 cards and even for the Thunderbolt (1) card that also run in those boxes, and even for the Thunderbolt 1 card I think was addressed with a firmware update that disabled the Firewire capability. Start here if unsure. https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/art...tion-Card-Info

But still pay attention to what the actual RTL is... Apollo Interfaces are very nice toys but they are not "zero" latency and as pointed out not the lowest latency . I have no horse in this latency debate, the arguments are a frequent waste of time on DUC. If it's important for you then deal with it, if not then don't. But I do get frustrated with folks that never actually test/measure/understand stuff, so we see things like folks claiming latency is critical and trying to run with say 64 sample buffers but have ignore errors checked in Pro Tools and it introducing additional latency... or over in Apollo Console land folks sticking say high latency plugins into the console and wondering what is going on.
Couldn’t have said it better. I’m on Motu AVB eco system: 828ES, 1248 and 16A. I run Pro Tools on Mac mini i5 from late 2012 (ancient machine ). I have check errors disabled and also dynamic plugins...or whatever that is, disabled too. Latency are so low that I track at 64 buffer without noticing any latency. And did it with sessions wih plugins also, you only have to be careful plugins you use don’t introduce additional latency (in this case I would disable them too, just for tracking)
Old 11-11-2020, 11:30 PM

I recorded with TDM for 20 years with zero problem and switched to HD Native two years ago. Most of my recordings are at 48 kHz and with a buffer size of 64 samples while monitoring thru Pro Tools it feels like TDM - no problemss. I‘m still using my 192 I/O I used already with the HD cards.

Best

Mark