Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 PM

Default Is there a way to convert vst to rtas without vst to rtas adapter?

I have some vst plug ins that are wrapped with fxpansions vst to rtas adapter. Most work, except some dont. Its annoying because some of the plug ins i have are hard to find or arent created in rtas format. Like i cant find a substitute for a vst plug ins with an rtas plug in thats similar to it. I also understand that vst to rtas adapter is guaranteed to work on everything, and it hasnt been updated in years. Its still stressful to not have vst only plug ins not working in pro tools, because vst to rtas adapter cant wrap them. Is there any other way to convert them or a different software that works good?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Is there a way to convert vst to rtas without vst to rtas adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
I have some vst plug ins that are wrapped with fxpansions vst to rtas adapter. Most work, except some dont. Its annoying because some of the plug ins i have are hard to find or arent created in rtas format. Like i cant find a substitute for a vst plug ins with an rtas plug in thats similar to it. I also understand that vst to rtas adapter is guaranteed to work on everything, and it hasnt been updated in years. Its still stressful to not have vst only plug ins not working in pro tools, because vst to rtas adapter cant wrap them. Is there any other way to convert them or a different software that works good?
As far as I know, you need an interim program that will translate the VST language to RTAS. So yes you will need a wrapper to run plugins, VI's can be run in reaper or VE pro in vst format and then rewired into pro tools.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 PM

I'd just like to point out real quick that I've found a number of VST plugs will commonly have issues due to an incompatibility with different versions of the operating system & software you're running...and are not always related to FXpansion's wrapper. It can be a little harder sometimes to get the proper updates for the plug (especially if the VST is freeware.) I have a handful of VST's that I never got to work right after I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

....not saying definitively that that is your specific issue, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 AM

If you search on Gearslutz you will see Fxpansion acknowledging the forthcoming (but don't hold your breath) VST wrapper 3 to AAX. The only other two RTAS plugs that allow similar and are more successful with certain recent plugs are Maschine (you can set this up so it routes channel audio internally in and out of a VST or AU plug ) and back onto the channel in PT, or Kore now discontinued which did similar. There is also Plogue bidule, which has a VST version for registered users, which you can wrap and then host a plugin within that wrapped plug in, but this has been a little hit and miss as you can imagine!

If you're talking VST instruments - check Reaper and VE PRo , lots of chat on here about them.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimmons View Post
If you search on Gearslutz you will see Fxpansion acknowledging the forthcoming (but don't hold your breath) VST wrapper 3 to AAX. The only other two RTAS plugs that allow similar and are more successful with certain recent plugs are Maschine (you can set this up so it routes channel audio internally in and out of a VST or AU plug ) and back onto the channel in PT, or Kore now discontinued which did similar. There is also Plogue bidule, which has a VST version for registered users, which you can wrap and then host a plugin within that wrapped plug in, but this has been a little hit and miss as you can imagine!

If you're talking VST instruments - check Reaper and VE PRo , lots of chat on here about them.
I just went on the VE pro website, and it says its basically a giant mixer. That seems easy to use. My question though is do you load VE Pro in pro tools as a plug in on a master bypass, or where would you load it? And can you still use the mix options in pro tools? And does VE pro guaranteed all vst form plug ins to work with pro tools?
Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockguitarist1255 View Post
Hi,

The plugins you are trying with, do they work ok as VST? Have you tried loading them in something like repear to make sure they work as VST? They must actually be working as VST for the wrapper to work!!

Which plugins? Have you gone into the wrapper and selected them manually to yes for wrapped? This is what a lot of VSTs need.

VE works like a rewire app and routs the signal back to pro tools! Ok for instruments but not for processing plugs.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 AM

No one will guarantee that all 3rd party VST plug-ins will function in their host software. There is no control as to coding in out of house software. Plug-in vendors are also responsible for compatibility. Always try the demo in the DAW you prefer before purchasing if you have doubts.

Exactly what plug-ins are you trying to use? Are they the latest versions? Maybe we can help you.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-11-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,
VE works like a rewire app and routs the signal back to pro tools! Ok for instruments but not for processing plugs.
Chris
Not any more, VEP 5 Pro will let you stream audio from a track in Protools into a VE Pro channel, through a bunch of VSTs and back out into Protools...
Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennieh View Post
Not any more, VEP 5 Pro will let you stream audio from a track in Protools into a VE Pro channel, through a bunch of VSTs and back out into Protools...
Hi,

Well i know it can be done and i did this with Logic about 3 years ago, but its a pain for processing. and not ideal for delay compensation. but maybe they have that sorted as well.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 AM

To be honest I haven't tried it, I don't have any VST-only plugins really, but the manual claims its all delay compensated, I guess VEPro does it's own delay compensation internally to synch up it's outputs and then reports back to Protools what it's biggest amount of compensation is.

I guess that could get messy :-(