Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Is there a point to HD Native any more?

Isn't the mixer on the card, just not plug-ins?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
You're saying that the Protools mixer runs from the HD Native card? or just on the HDX card?

I'm specifically looking to compare the capabilities of Protools Ultimate running on the HD Native card, vs. Protools Ultimate running just as a native only software app on my laptop.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 08-06-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post

For HD Native, the on-card mixer is for low latency monitoring only (similar to what you'd find on other interfaces, although obviously better integrated with Pro Tools). The “real” Pro Tools mixer is running on the CPU. (HDX runs the mixer on the cards.)

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ools-hd-native
Old 08-20-2018, 01:13 PM

I love HDN. I got into my system really, really cheap when HD-Native was first announced with PT-9.

I had a 24|Mix system that worked fine but wasn't really able to do a lot of things I needed to. I bought an old, old D-24 core card on ebay for $50 and it was accepted as a trade in for my core card and HD license (and that cost about $1100 IIRC.

Over the years I have come to love HDN and would take it over HDX (but that's just me).

At the time I was running PT-9 Vanilla and although the HDN card doesn't do processing I saw a decent sized drop in system usage. I was using two used 192s (1 analog and one digital) for a while but sold my DM-3200 and now use an HD Omni I picked up for $499 used and the digital 192.

I love the Omni and although I wish it were 8x8 and had a remote it sounds killer, has really, really nice preamps (much nicer than I expected) and gives good monitoring as well.

I plan on keeping HDN as long as I can. Right now I'm using a 2012 Mac Mini Server with the card in a Thunderbolt chassis and it's great. Latency is super low (it used to be better than HDX, not sure if that's still true) and the system is rock solid.

No complaints except I eventually want to get a new HD interface. I don't have a ton of mic pres, but my ADL-600 and API A2D are going into the Omni's line inputs while my UA-610 and meager collection of outboard go through a pair of Behringer ADA8200s into a 192 Digital.

I would guess that there isn't any difference (aside from number of inputs) to the HD Digital, but those 8x8x8 and 16 Analog boxes look killer.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 02-09-2019, 09:04 PM

Surprised that no one has mentioned delay composition for Hardware inserts. If you're using a hybrid setup like I am, every time you send audio to a hardware device, latency is incurred. Granted, you can alter the Hardware insert delays in settings but it's not automatic and is not accurate (settings are in "milliseconds", not samples and not precise).

I use an Apogee symphony and it's been a pain to nudge all that audio afterwards. I just ordered an HD native thunderbolt card to use the Symphony in Pro Tools HD mode. I'm hoping everything then feels seamless and I can trust the sync while using a variety of outboard gear.

Blake
Old 02-09-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Henderson View Post
Surprised that no one has mentioned delay composition for Hardware inserts. If you're using a hybrid setup like I am, every time you send audio to a hardware device, latency is incurred. Granted, you can alter the Hardware insert delays in settings but it's not automatic and is not accurate (settings are in "milliseconds", not samples and not precise).

I use an Apogee symphony and it's been a pain to nudge all that audio afterwards. I just ordered an HD native thunderbolt card to use the Symphony in Pro Tools HD mode. I'm hoping everything then feels seamless and I can trust the sync while using a variety of outboard gear.

Blake
I just sold my HDN TB interface so I can get a Thunderbridge for my 32 channels of Symphony I/O. Latency with HDN is too high to work for vocals. I almost always had to use LLM, which is limited to one send, so I can't use my headphone mixing system when LLN is active. Further, it's not any more stable than other native interfaces. With Thunderbridge I can effectively run LLN for just vocals via Maestro, while the rest of the band runs normally.

All that said, I was disappointed with HDX as well, so I still run Accel for critical sessions.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:38 PM

Matt.. very interesting.

When using the HD Native card in Pro Tools mode, are you able to use Apogees Mixer via Maestro?