Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Eucon 3 - Artist Control not connecting to PT

Sorry for that last message. It was supposed to be a private one to DANIELEucon.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 PM

Hi, yes I have been following these messages, and yes - the instructions I posted were for a mac, which are what the majority of systems I'm dealing with are (and it's where my speciality lies).

I'm just starting testing on various OS/PT/Eucon software versions for the best stability for a project which is due to last for at least 8 months, so I'm taking these instability reports into consideration.

At this stage I'm leaning towards a Eucon version of 2.7.1, OSX 10.7.5 and PT 10.3.7ish as the reports from people running Eucon 3.x are scaring me somewhat. It does limit the OS version we can run, but that might be the price we pay for solidity.

Do you have a version of PT10 that you can test connectivity with? I'd be interested to see if that's able to see the controller more reliably.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddg7777 View Post
Sorry for that last message. It was supposed to be a private one to DANIELEucon.
Haha. Ooops. I replied too quickly...
Old 02-28-2014, 10:47 AM

Good news. Avid has helped me solve the problem. Here are the steps:

Disable the MC Client and the EuControl software from running at start up (this is done differently in Win7 and Win8 and if you don't know how to do it, enter a simple query in Google and there are a ton of websites that will explain it).

Make sure to turn on the Artist Mix before turning on your PC. Once your PC is up, run EuControl manually then run Pro Tools. You do NOT need to run the MC Client manually.

For me, Pro Tools recognized the device without issue - I tried it several times. I did NOT have to set a static IP for this to work. DHCP works fine.

Other important notes:
- sequence of events is critical. Surface, PC then EuControl
- if your PC goes to sleep you will lose connection to PT and PT will no longer see the surface
- if you turn off the surface and turn it back on without restarting your PC PT will not see the surface.

Avid suggested that a router in between the surface and the PC would possibly elminate the need for the surface to be on before the PC and the need to load EuControl software manually after boot put (can re-enable it to run at start up). I have NOT tried this yet but will do so this weekend.

Glad to have this solved. Hope others benefit from this.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielEUCON View Post
Here is another item to quickly try and let us know if it works:

If you get into a bad connectivity state, please try the following:
-Go to System Preferences > EUCON and press Stop (make sure Pro Tools or other EUCON DAWs are not running)
- wait 30seconds and press Start.
- Once the Surfaces are attached in EuControl, check that the local Workstation is available in the Workstations tab, and it is Attached.
- Launch Pro Tools (or other EUCON DAW).

Does the system connect and work with Pro Tools after these steps?
I do exactly the same and then everything works fine all the time, until I shut down my mac, then it starts all over again...
Old 05-16-2014, 06:43 PM

I have tried everything noted is various threads but have been unable to get more than 10 - 15 seconds of connectivity between Artist Mix and Pro Tools 10.3.9.
Eucon settings sees it, sees workstation. PT boots, all seems good, then the track LEDs blank out and functionality is gone. Can sometimes nudge it back to life by clicking on the finder then back into PT, but again only good for 10 - 15 seconds.
Is there a definitive answer out there for Eucon consistency?

Thanks

mac osx 10.6.8
Old 05-23-2014, 06:16 AM

I'm going to assume that the Artist series is practically abandoned since this connectivity issue has been going on for over half a year at least.

Boot>System Preferences>EUCON>Stop>Start works, but it's annoying to have to do that every morning. And if I have other mixers using my suite and they don't know that little routine, they call me wondering why something that should work doesn't. Maybe I should make a chart of the workflow and use it as the desktop background.

IMDb (very partial)
Old 05-23-2014, 09:06 AM

I just recently go one. A control and mine would show up in the OS 10.8.4 but would most times not lock into PT. Once it locks into PT it's stable and solid. Latest firmware and latest software.

I did the static ip the other day and it has only not worked once. It feels very nice, I'm just learning my way around all the touch screens and finding out where everything is.

Can't wait to get a mix to go with it....
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 PM

I read a number of complaints about EuControl not connecting with ProTools in this thread. In my instance (ProTools HD 11, 2 Artist Mix connected by switch on a dedicated network with static IPs and Windows 7-64 bit) a good work around has been to go into the System Tray and find the EuControl icon. Then right click on the icon. Select "Restart EuControl". That seems to fix the problem 100% of the time. ProTools can't connect because the Workstation is not found. Once EuControl is restarted, then it locates the workstation and ProTools can talk to the Mix units.

Of course it's lousy to have to do this on each boot-up. Any chance Avid will ever fix this problem? I have to agree with the person who said it seemed like EuControl is booting too quickly while the rest of the system is not yet fully booted.

The funny thing is EuControl always sees the two Artist Mix units. It's only the Workstation that is missing. So, I suspect that means the network is visible (or it wouldn't see the Artist Mix). I have to believe it isn't seeing the server, which should be relatively easily fixable.

Andy
Old 03-21-2015, 01:49 PM

A quick follow-up. With the Win 7 (64 and 32 bit) loads, I improve my chances of the Workstation being sensed by Eucon by using the crossover cables. I was originally using short standard cat 6 patch cables and I was connecting 50% of the time (roughly). Then I'd have to restart Eucon by right-clicking the Eucon icon in the hidden icon section of the desktop.

If I use the crossover cables instead, I'm hitting near 100% connection at boot-up. I don't know why it isn't 100% but there are occasions that it just doesn't sense the Workstation. I'm not too concerned about that since you can go into Pro Tools 11 and then, when you find out that the Avid equipment isn't talking, restart Eucon without having to exit Pro Tools. Everything works well after that.

So, I'm pleased with the connection setup now. I wanted to mention this since some reviews said that you shouldn't use the crossover cables when it turns out, at least on a Windows platform, that you should use the crossovers. I have a standard 5-port switch in between the Mix(es) and the Workstation. The Workstation has a dedicated network card for the Avid equipment.

Andy