Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Keyboards used as controllers in PC Rec Studio

Hi friends,

I'm looking for some comments/advice regarding keyboards and Digidesign products for a home recording studio. I have been asking around to different tech supports like Guitar Center and Musician's Friend, and I'm still confused.

I'm trying to build a Home Recording Studio using a keyboard as a controller, and a system like the Digidesign/Protools Mbox. So, here you have my questions:

1. I'm trying to decide what kind of keyboard I should buy depending on the connectors (MIDI or USB).

2. I'm interested in buying the Digidesign/Protools Mbox recording system but I don't see how to connect the keyboard, either MIDI or USB. The only way possible, according to one of the tech support guys, is through a 1/4 inch connector in the Mbox but that would be for using the keyboard as an instrument (I believe not as a controller).

3. Then, Do I really need that Mbox hardware in between, in order to use the software that comes with the system (Protools LE software)? Or I can just plug in my keyboard to my PC and use this software. They say the hardware translates the sound signals from the keyboard to the PC, but why they also say you can connect a keyboard with USB connectors directly to your PC and that's all you need.
(Note: those keyboards with USB connectors come with an integrated MIDI to USB adapter, so the connector is USB with MIDI capabilities).

Thank you guys!
Old 02-07-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Keyboards used as controllers in PC Rec Studio

You're desribing the set-up I have been using for the past couple of years. I'm a near-complete technophobe, so if I'm comfortable with it (and am) then I think almost anyone can be.

I have the M-Audio Keystation 49e as the controller. See:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...n49e-main.html

This cost me about $100 and is considered a basic model in that the controls for modulating things like volume, pitch bend, etc. are limited. M-Audio's other models go up in price and have more knobs and sliders that can be assigned to the various machine controls. My model can actually make all the same controls, but you have to assign-as-you-go since it doesn't have as many controls that can be dedicated. For what I do, it's not a limitaion at all but might be for those who perform in more real-time (I use a lot of merge recording).

For sound generation, I have used the Reason Adapted and SampleTank softsynth that came bundled with the Mbox, but mostly use a Roland JV1010 "hard" synth. It does everything I have needed so far, and that bundled sorftware is mostly to wet your appetite to buy the full versions (but which are very good).

As far as the connections and communication, that should be nearly invisible using the Mbox. Just have it connected to one of your computer USB's and the keyboard to another. When you set up your recording tracks in ProTools, you'll need to assign your input and output for each channel. When you click on those boxes you'll see "USB divice" or something like that listed as one of the options. The Mbox should be able to "see" your keyboard. So just pick that and it should be connected.

The only other thing, if you go with the Keystation 49e, you'll need to press a key that executes the function described in the owners manaul that puts the keyboard into USB-interface mode. Other keyboards might have a similar function.

I really like my system. It's easy to get going and lets me get straight into the music without a lot of technical fuss.

Good luck with your pursuits!
Old 02-09-2005, 05:37 PM

Thanks Blackscot for all your comments, I really appreciate that. So, I don't have to connect my keyboard to the Mbox, it goes to a USB port in my pc, right? What do I need the Mbox for? It looks like I can control the protools software with my keyboard without needing the Mbox.

Thanks again.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks Blackscot for all your comments, I really appreciate that. So, I don't have to connect my keyboard to the Mbox, it goes to a USB port in my pc, right? What do I need the Mbox for? It looks like I can control the protools software with my keyboard without needing the Mbox.

Thanks again.

The mbox is your source to communicate with pro tools. You need it to get audio out or record audio in(not midi). You can control pro tools with a midi keyboard but you have to have the mbox to hear anything.

Old 02-10-2005, 08:18 PM

Ditto-ProTools will not open without some Digi hardware attached.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave