Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 06-29-2019, 10:07 AM

Default Helpppp pleaseee

I'm using mac Intel early 2008,quad core ,iOS yosemite ,protools hd10,interface 192,one pcie core and one pcie excel hd card,protools , won't play properly,the sound starts and stops,while the locator keeps moving,like the level meter is pumpin up and down ,i heard a strange different sound,from what in the session,

Last edited by batoalways; 06-29-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Helpppp pleaseee

Please read the Help Us Help You page that is linked to the forum header, thank you
Old 06-29-2019, 11:49 AM

Thanks ,i added all the info
Old 06-29-2019, 12:07 PM

You really need to try to present your info more clearly, so other folks can understand without the punctuation and writing style torture. If you don’t make it easy for other users here you are unlikely to get useful help.

You need to go look at the standard troubleshooting steps again.

You have to tell us exactly what you have tried.

Always start by trashing prefs. Get Peter Gates free PT Prefs utility to make that easy.

When did this start happening? What changed?

Does this happen with all sessions? If you start from scratch with an empty session?

If it is just one session... Are the transport controls doing anything strange, flashing etc? Are you unintentionally hitting a punch in? Or have volume or other automation accidentally doing stuff?

If you switch playback engine to Built-In Output does it happen?
Old 06-29-2019, 12:37 PM

Batoalways, I have the very same machine, 2008 single quadcore 2.8ghz, 24gb ram and a two SSDs on pcie-card. 11 years, and it can still do a good job. Enough ram and PCIe SSDs makes it boot in a flash, and it feels snappy as hell.

PT10 on mac os 10.10 is your main problem - I doubt anyone has got that working. My advice to you is, do like me; set up two two boot disks; one with PT10 and an approprate version of OS (I have 10.6.8), and one for everything else (I have 10.12.5). My SSDs have read/write speeds around 500mb per second, so switching between systems is under two minutes.

I'm kinda retired, so I have this setup with PT10 non-hd and Apogee Duet just to be able to open old sessions and sometimes play around. But separating PT from other stuff this way lets you create a very stable system. It also simplifies backups, troubleshooting and such. I also enjoy using my Apogee interface with my Dynaudio BM6 speakers for non-PT stuff.

Or you could upgrade to the latest subscription license of PT, and get a new mac, and update all plugins to axx, and so on...

But with the right treatment the 2008 mac pro can offer some good power still. (Apple won't let you install os above 10.11, though, but 10.12 can be done, and works great for me.)
Old 06-29-2019, 01:17 PM

yeah you are right, this is what i'm gonna do ,thanks a lot
Old 06-29-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You really need to try to present your info more clearly, so other folks can understand without the punctuation and writing style torture. If you don’t make it easy for other users here you are unlikely to get useful help.

You need to go look at the standard troubleshooting steps again.

You have to tell us exactly what you have tried.

Always start by trashing prefs. Get Peter Gates free PT Prefs utility to make that easy.

When did this start happening? What changed?

Does this happen with all sessions? If you start from scratch with an empty session?

If it is just one session... Are the transport controls doing anything strange, flashing etc? Are you unintentionally hitting a punch in? Or have volume or other automation accidentally doing stuff?

If you switch playback engine to Built-In Output does it happen?
yes it happens with all sessions, but whenever i switch playback engine to built-in output ,everything works fine
Old 06-29-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batoalways View Post
yes it happens with all sessions, but whenever i switch playback engine to built-in output ,everything works fine
Great thanks, normally I would try to then pull out all plugin files and just try to run with the TDM mixer and see if it could work at all...

.... but it sounds like Ben has more specific knowledge for you to follow.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:34 PM

Have you ran digitest to check if there is a fault with your hardware?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Batoalways, I have the very same machine, 2008 single quadcore 2.8ghz, 24gb ram and a two SSDs on pcie-card. 11 years, and it can still do a good job. Enough ram and PCIe SSDs makes it boot in a flash, and it feels snappy as hell.

PT10 on mac os 10.10 is your main problem - I doubt anyone has got that working. My advice to you is, do like me; set up two two boot disks; one with PT10 and an approprate version of OS (I have 10.6.8), and one for everything else (I have 10.12.5). My SSDs have read/write speeds around 500mb per second, so switching between systems is under two minutes.

I'm kinda retired, so I have this setup with PT10 non-hd and Apogee Duet just to be able to open old sessions and sometimes play around. But separating PT from other stuff this way lets you create a very stable system. It also simplifies backups, troubleshooting and such. I also enjoy using my Apogee interface with my Dynaudio BM6 speakers for non-PT stuff.

Or you could upgrade to the latest subscription license of PT, and get a new mac, and update all plugins to axx, and so on...

But with the right treatment the 2008 mac pro can offer some good power still. (Apple won't let you install os above 10.11, though, but 10.12 can be done, and works great for me.)
Thanks a lot ,now everything works fine ,thanks