Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-22-2019, 03:20 PM

Default PT 2019 Dynamic Transport Meddling

I have been using Pro Tools for 15 years or so. I have continually upgraded, subscribed to this change or the other, often seeing little changes nor apparent improvements for the extra outlay, but without complaint. Now I come to this latest "update", 2019.

After a fortnight trying to get it to install, I eventually managed it, loaded up the session I was working on in 2018 and prepared to carry on where I left off expecting nothing new except perhaps some improved system stability. Within two minutes I have hit snag number one. The dynamic transport does not function as it has in every version since I have been using Pro-Tools.

Normally I make a timeline selection and with the dynamic transport mode enabled, the transport updates to start at the point I select and continues to loop from my new timeline selection. Thus I can randomly (if necessary) jump around making timeline selections and quickly and easily edit wherever I need to. But. 2019 decides to ditch that feature, apparently, so now when I make a timeline selection, I have to manually click within the new selection to make it update to where I want it, but I also have to wait until the previous loop cycle has finished before it will update. That means an awful lot of extra non-necessary mouse clicking and time wasting.

Please. Don't tell me that if I want the previous Dynamic Transport functionality in 2019 I have got to spend £800 a year extra to "upgrade" to PT Ultimate? Because if I do, I'll be a-goin' right back to 2018 which is where I'll stay and there'll be no more dosh appearing out of my wallet.

Correct me if I am wrong here but if this is the case it is the most underhanded cynical trick I have witnessed yet from AVID, may be time to move to Harrison Mixbus. Alternatively I do apologise if I am somehow not using it correctly, but I can't see any other way, no prefs choices are available.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:16 PM

Default Re: PT 2019 Dynamic Transport Meddling

You are correct that there have been some tweaks to dynamic transport. The changes are the same in PT | Standard and PT | Ultimate... so no trickery on our part.
We have put a lot of energy into what we are calling 'continuous playback', which is an effort to remove most (many) of the little interrupts, hiccups, and glitches a user has to endure during playback when making timeline mods, instantiating plug-ins, adding and/or removing tracks, etc. We wanted to create an environment where a user could engage the transport and work uninterrupted without loosing sync or experiencing drop-outs or glitches with the focus being for music creation... staying in the flow.
This particular behavior was intentional. The idea was that when a loop end point was pulled in front of where the playhead currently was, the playhead would continue to play on, uninterupted.
In order to keep looping, a user would make sure the playheads was always within the loop points. If a loop needed to be shortened, it would need to be done while the playhead was still in the area prior to where the end point was being moved to.
I have received one additional complaint about this, so I will revaluate if this behavior is correct and potentially change it in the future. It seemed intuitive during development and behaved that way in some other DAWs that have a better rep for maintaining continuous playback during music creation.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyc View Post
We have put a lot of energy into what we are calling 'continuous playback', which is an effort to remove most (many) of the little interrupts, hiccups, and glitches a user has to endure during playback when making timeline mods, instantiating plug-ins, adding and/or removing tracks, etc. We wanted to create an environment where a user could engage the transport and work uninterrupted without loosing sync or experiencing drop-outs or glitches with the focus being for music creation... staying in the flow.
Wow, thank you for this detailed reply from a developer! Really appreciate the insight. PT 2019 is so much better and more fluid than 2018. Well spent half a year. I hope you are not going to stop optimizing PT and this is just a beginning. The kind of communication Avid launched recently with PTExpert site explaining the delay is much needed for it's professional customers. Thank you again!
Old 05-26-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyc View Post
You are correct that there have been some tweaks to dynamic transport. The changes are the same in PT | Standard and PT | Ultimate... so no trickery on our part.
This particular behavior was intentional. The idea was that when a loop end point was pulled in front of where the playhead currently was, the playhead would continue to play on, uninterupted.
In order to keep looping, a user would make sure the playheads was always within the loop points. If a loop needed to be shortened, it would need to be done while the playhead was still in the area prior to where the end point was being moved to.
I have received one additional complaint about this, so I will revaluate if this behavior is correct and potentially change it in the future. It seemed intuitive during development and behaved that way in some other DAWs that have a better rep for maintaining continuous playback during music creation.
Thanks for reply.I have worked for the last few days since making the above post and I will say that 2019 has been more stable and less prone to AAE -9173 errors etc. But although the new dynamic transport does have some advantages in some scenarios, on the whole it has considerably interrupted my tried and tested workflow. Surely the answer to this is that both modes should be made available? Apologies for the trickery insinuation, that was a misunderstanding as I was redirected to purchase Ultimate at some point during my angst and it appeared that the dynamic transport of old was now only available in Ultimate.

I am pleased that you are addressing this issue because I am here now trying to perform a lot of delicate micro-editing and the new mode of dynamic transport is making the job much harder and laborious, although as I stated previously I can see the logic behind these changes, but only in some, more macro-related editing procedures. Two modes would be excellent improvement. Thanks again - Chris

Last edited by martinaston; 05-26-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:02 AM

N/A

Last edited by Bushpig; 05-29-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:17 AM

No probs Steve.

I also wanted to mention that Waves Tune does not function correctly now as it used to with the previous dynamic transport. It is no longer possible to select sections of audio within Waves Tune working with Rewire.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:38 AM

N/A

Last edited by Bushpig; 05-29-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:51 AM

N/A

Last edited by Bushpig; 05-29-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 AM

Yep it's Chris not Martin but either will do
Old 05-29-2019, 10:17 PM

Hi Chris,

Just dropping back in as promised to let this thread know I had a PM from Davey C, and sent him some info.

Thanks for letting me use your public notice board.

Cheers.

Steve