Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-01-2020, 04:08 AM

Default Update or not Update

Hi, I have a iMac late 2012 (13,1) Core i5 2,7 GHz.
Running PT 10.8.3 smoothly
The problem is that I am having those browser problems, cannot work with youtube studio, some other sites have problems, etc, so I considering to up date to OS 10.10 (yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capatain). Both I have already downloaded when were available.
The problem is that the information is confuse to me and seems that I have a serious hardware limitation, so the maximum that I can install is PT 11.0.1 or 12.8.2. Is that right?
I was checking and seems that I just can unlock with an iLok, the physical one not the cloud option. Am I right?.
Thak you in advance guys.
Regards
Eduardo

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-04-2020 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:29 AM

Default Update or not Update

So to understand this I have to ask a few questions

You are running OS X 10.8.3 right?
B/c PT10.8.3 doesn’t exist, the highest that 10 went was 10.7.3 iirc.

I have nothing but love for Yosemite 10.10, it was a great release...I ran 10.6.x on it for the longest, great combo.

If you have browsers issues with your older OS X installs you could always buy an external drive and update that to something like Capitan

I actually just upgraded from Capitan to high Sierra, about 2 months ago..... the I found an awesome deal on a 2015 MBP and it came with Catalina so I am running that on my newer MBP.

That’s another option - a used MBP could be your option to stay away from upgrading

I am not running PT on any of these versions - just video stuff FCPX, I run PT on Windows with PTVersion 12.5.2 and Win10

Here is the OS compatibility chart to see which OS can run which version of software

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Update or not Update

Hi, welcome to the community.

Compatibility info here.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:34 PM

Your Late 2012 iMac can install up to Catalina, I sure would not use El Crapitain. What exact model/EMC code is it? esp. 21.5" or 27" How much memory? 16GB which is the max config is really the minimum I want in a modern Pro Tools system.

My choice would be Mojave or Catalina. They you can run the latest available web browsers, latest available version for Pro Tools, etc.

Be aware of Mojave cautions. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...5-Release-Info

Pay attention to those DRAM requirements. And I hope you are not running on an internal slow HDD... it may be time to crack open or have have somebody upgrade that iMac for you if needed.

Do not shoot yourself in the head here, get a spare external SSD drive or partition and do a full clean install of macOS on that, installing clean copies of Pro Tools, ILM, plugins and other apps, testing as you go, then migrate the user account using the system migration tool (do not migrate apps or drivers). Then once all that is done and running OK clone that disk over the top your current boot partition. Current versions of macOS will utilize APFS filesystems, be aware of that and any impact in sharing media between other systems.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:07 PM

Even worse if you run a fusion drive that has small SSD part added to slow HDD, that seriously needs to be taken out of the system.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:20 AM

Hi guys, thank you for the answers.
I really messed up the system. I believe I was sleeping over the keyboard.
Updating my system information:
Hi, I have a iMac late 2012 (13,1) Core i5 2,7 GHz. 16GB RAM, SSD 512MB, external Lacie 3TB.
OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion
Running PT 10.3.10 smoothly

It´s been about 3 yerars or more I am running like that with no problem, but some sites really don´t update anymore.
YouTube studio does not load.
Apple Store cannot open because there is that account issue, etc.

I want to buy a new PT license, but as some of you said that I can run the latest version of it, when I looked for this information at AVID page, they say that I just can run PT 11 or PT 12.8.4.

Anyway, liked your suggestions and will go deep into them.
Thanks a lot.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
So to understand this I have to ask a few questions

PHP Code:
You are running OS X 10.8.3 right
B/c PT10.8.3 doesn’t existthe highest that 10 went was 10.7.3 iirc
I messed up. Running OS X 10.8.5 - mountain lion and PT 10.3.10.

PHP Code:
If you have browsers issues with your older OS X installs you could always buy an external drive and update that to something like Capitan 
I have not considered this option until now. I have a Lacie 3T and you are saying that I can install a newer version of OS X on it? great, so I can test everything if works fine!

PHP Code:
I actually just upgraded from Capitan to high Sierraabout 2 months ago..... the I found an awesome deal on a 2015 MBP and it came with Catalina so I am running that on my newer MBP
Unfortunately here in Brazil, those equipments still cost your eyes and a kidney!

PHP Code:
I am not running PT on any of these versions just video stuff FCPXI run PT on Windows with PTVersion 12.5.2 and Win10 
I thought installing Win 10 in the iMac to have both systems, but my Focusrite Saffire just works with the Win 10 18xx and not the latest 1903 and Microsoft informed that when you download the Win 10 all the drivers are the last ones. So I am afraid that my interface does not work.

PHP Code:
Here is the OS compatibility chart to see which OS can run which version of software 
I have already seen it. Thanks.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tibility-Chart
Old 06-08-2020, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Hi, welcome to the community.

Compatibility info here.
Have seen it already.
I saw that I can run some versions of the PT 12 on my iMac with OSX 10.8.5, however there is a limitation with the hardware informed by AVID. Just can run 11 that is not sold anymore or 12.8.4 or 12.8.2 that seems to run with 10.11.

Seems to be a solution, but it is a bunch of limitation from here and there that are getting me crazy.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2020, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Your Late 2012 iMac can install up to Catalina, I sure would not use El Crapitain. What exact model/EMC code is it? esp. 21.5" or 27" How much memory? 16GB which is the max config is really the minimum I want in a modern Pro Tools system.

My choice would be Mojave or Catalina. They you can run the latest available web browsers, latest available version for Pro Tools, etc.

Be aware of Mojave cautions. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...5-Release-Info

Pay attention to those DRAM requirements. And I hope you are not running on an internal slow HDD... it may be time to crack open or have have somebody upgrade that iMac for you if needed.

PHP Code:
Do not shoot yourself in the head hereget a spare external SSD drive or partition and do a full clean install of macOS on thatinstalling clean copies of Pro ToolsILMplugins and other appstesting as you gothen migrate the user account using the system migration tool (do not migrate apps or drivers). Then once all that is done and running OK clone that disk over the top your current boot partitionCurrent versions of macOS will utilize APFS filesystemsbe aware of that and any impact in sharing media between other systems
This parte really interested me. If you have any more information on how to do that, it would be great, otherwise I can google it.
Thanks.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:48 AM

Not sure what is going on there with you quotes, can just quote previous posts between [QUOTE] and [/QUOTE].

It is still not clear exactly what iMac you have, what is the Model number and SMC code (printed on the back), 21.5 or 27" display etc. What internal drive is on that iMac is it a PCIe SSD or a HDD or a Fusion drive? The mac System Info utility will give you all that info). That would alter my plans about opening up the iMac and upgrading the drive or not.

Tio do a full clean install: is too much to cover here on DUC and I don't know how much you know already. But basically you download the installer from the Apple Mac store and run it, but when it prompts you what to do you pick the option to do a new install not an upgrade.

If you have space on your current drives you can add another partition and do the new install there, but it is often simpler and safer to get a new external drive and install there. And nowadays that shoud be the fastest SSD that you can support on your computer. In the case of your computer with Thunderbolt but not Thunderbolt 3 that in practice forces you to go to USB SSD drives so I'd use a Samsung T5 drive (https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Po.../dp/B073H552FJ)

You install that new macOS, then boot from the external USB drive, then install Pro Tools, ILM, interface drivers and test it works, install plugins and test as you go. etc. At some point you may (or may not) migrate your existing user account from your old boot disk, you can do that using the system migration app, but do *not* migrate existing drivers or applications, just the user account. You might do that before installing Pro Tools etc. More techncial folks might skip that step all together and manually set up accounts (with the same user ID as used before)/manually copy over user files/documents etc.

And when when everything is isntalled and tested and running OK you can clone this new drive/partiton over the old boot drive/partition using Carbon Copy Cloner.

But before doing anything, even if you think your system is screwed up make sure you have anything important backed up. And if your external HDD has sessions or samples etc. on it, unplug that from your Mac before working on it. If you already have them from before this it was screwed up then great, if not you might make one now anyhow... because it's still possible to make a mistake while doing this and accidently overwrite your current boot drive. If you are not already I would be using Carbon Copy Cloner (https://bombich.com) to clone the boot drive to an external disk. I might regularly be doing that to a SSD liek the T5 (so maybe buy two) or for longer term storage to a 7200 rpm HDD (HDD are possibly better for longer term archival storage). You actually want multiple clone drives that you rotate clone backups to, and you may want to store some off site (you very likely want to store archives of your sessions off-site but that's a longer discussion, I'm just talking about backing up/cloning the system drive here, not sure if your sessions are on that or not.).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-08-2020 at 11:08 AM.