How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 AM

Default Re: oh the irony

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad383music View Post
Hmm, I think this will put to bed any talk of a new ERXP or a standalone editor, or anything else for that matter for the current 11 rack.

Such a shame. Oh well at least ours still work in their current form and that's a bonus. Maybe the 11r will go the same route as the 003 racks. At least it will save us all money on upgrading to PT11. Just my 2 cents!
Hate to admit it, but I think you're right.

OTOH, there is another possibility: Finances have been pretty tight for Avid lately - laying off employees, divesting themselves of M-Audio, etc. It's entirely possible that they made the decision to outsource development instead of having developers on staff. It's less costly, and is pretty common these days. If that's the case, it's entirely possible that Full Code Audio is the contractor, and that Avid is Full Code Audio's only client. The only difference is that Chris would work from home.

But that's only speculation with some wishful thinking thrown in. I think it's more likely that it's over. I guess we wait to see if it quietly disappears from retail channels or shows up on the "legacy products" list.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:19 AM

They probably had Chris sign a non-competitive agreement before he left. It certainly looks like future development of the 11R is quickly fading!
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Avid

Yes, The Chimp is still among you (albeit on the periphery these days)...Chris has indeed left Avid to pursue some of his own interests and do some consulting (not exclusively for Avid). To say that we will miss him would be the understatement of the year, but we are still committed to moving Eleven forward...
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Glad to see you posting Chimp, but it really isn't looking very good on the update front. I mean, if Avid could post up what they're working on, or if they put up a video showing off some features they are working on, that would go a LONG way to putting fears to rest.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer27 View Post
They probably had Chris sign a non-competitive agreement before he left. It certainly looks like future development of the 11R is quickly fading!
Ah not that I have any guess as to what Chris Townsend might work (I would hope Avid use him for lots of stuff) on but as this is in California.... non compete clauses per-se are tough to enforce here and often not worth the paper they are written on. Confidentiality and other intellectual property related things can still be protected of course.

Darryl
Old 08-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgar View Post
Glad to see you posting Chimp, but it really isn't looking very good on the update front. I mean, if Avid could post up what they're working on, or if they put up a video showing off some features they are working on, that would go a LONG way to putting fears to rest.
I know full well how posting features yet to be released can be disastrous if a rival company can develop a product and beat you to the punch. But in this case, there are plenty of other modelers on the market, and each has its place. A hint as to what's being developed, or wether or not it's even in the works would absolutely sell more units. It's like the iPhone. Make people excited enough to wait for the next big thing and they will either purchase now with upgrade plans or at least wait it out and not purchase the competitors product. I can't believe avid has yet to at least hint, but they want to sell off the old stock and maybe it's a dead platform for them. Figures I just got one, I hope it at least sees PT 11. That's where I'll feel let down, if they at least don't carry it to Pt 11.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
, but we are still committed to moving Eleven forward...
Hopefully committed to moving "Eleven" forward, means the Eleven plugin and Eleven Rack. (getting both in better feature lock-step would be nice).

Darryl
Old 08-27-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChimp View Post
Yes, The Chimp is still among you (albeit on the periphery these days)...Chris has indeed left Avid to pursue some of his own interests and do some consulting (not exclusively for Avid). To say that we will miss him would be the understatement of the year, but we are still committed to moving Eleven forward...
I appreciate you posting here, Chimp.

So, let me ask you a couple of questions while you are here:
  • Will there be a standalone editor available for us?
  • In that case, when?

Thank you
Old 08-27-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer27 View Post
Up here, non-competition, non-disclosure, and intellectual propery ownership agreements are normally signed at the beginning, as a condition of being hired. No sign, no job. Asking someone who's been laid off or dismissed to sign one is more likely to result in the asker getting a middle finger than a signature. Someone leaving of their own choice may, as a matter of professional courtesy or ethics, sign one at exit if they aren't already in place, but that's rare.

But I digress. Back to the regularly scheduled program....
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-N View Post
I appreciate you posting here, Chimp.

So, let me ask you a couple of questions while you are here:
  • Will there be a standalone editor available for us?
  • In that case, when?

Thank you
Hey Tony. That (standalone editor) is something which is under discussion, but I can't provide any more detail than that. We are also looking at other solutions for controlling Eleven Rack without a computer. I can't give a date estimate at this time...sorry.
P&S Creative Professional
AVID