Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-21-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Post Conform

We are using Post Conform on the Protools Mixplus system (ver5.3.1) for all of our Dialogue Conforming once the EDL comes in from the editor.

All has been working well for the last few years...... right uptil yesterday when we figured that Post Conform won't read the BWF wave files!!

We have been working with SDII files for most film production mixes.

Does the older version of Post Conform have the limitation of not being able to read BWF files?

Thanks

Sound Designer
Production Mixer
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1598555/
Old 08-22-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Post Conform

hi,

my guess would be yes, that it would be limited. the EBU BWF and subsequent AES 31 ratificatiion are mid-tolate 90's devlopments. and DIGI wasn't really doing much with it that that time.

are you in OSX?

you could try Conformalizer from Maggot Software MAGGOT

or the VK Conformer from Virtual Katy KATYDID

-bugs hambleton
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 08-22-2006, 04:55 PM

Actually the Maggot Software app "Assemblerator" is the one you want to get- It does auto assembly in the manner Post Conform did. It is priced VERY fairly as well-

cheers-

charles maynes

Quote:
hi,

my guess would be yes, that it would be limited. the EBU BWF and subsequent AES 31 ratificatiion are mid-tolate 90's devlopments. and DIGI wasn't really doing much with it that that time.

are you in OSX?

you could try Conformalizer from Maggot Software MAGGOT

or the VK Conformer from Virtual Katy KATYDID

-bugs hambleton

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
the EBU BWF and subsequent AES 31 ratificatiion are mid-tolate 90's devlopments.
AES-31 was only ratified last month.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:59 PM

jeezm ok, bust my chops! charles is right. at least i had the right company and link.

Quote:
Quote:
the EBU BWF and subsequent AES 31 ratificatiion are mid-tolate 90's devlopments.
AES-31 was only ratified last month.
in 1998 AES began its deliberations on the File Transfer Format standard. i thought AES31-1, AES31-2, & AES31-3 were in 2001. the AES31-4 was last month?
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 08-23-2006, 07:47 AM

Thanks Tom and Charles.

Well in short until we order for the new software (obviously after checking if it will work on our 3rd world redundant Indian machine) we are goners and have to resort to old fashioned method of assembling the entire edit together.

So much for me thinking about forward integration.

I will look into the s/w's reccomended and I wished the Digi dealer in Bombay would pay more attention to us in the meantime....... but cares about menial labourers like us right Digi?

Caio

Sound Designer
Production Mixer
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1598555/
Old 08-23-2006, 12:13 PM

Baylon-

glad we could be of service...

However your comments about Digi watching out for you are ones that I hear in Hollywood way too much- I think that YOU need to stay in touch with the Digi agents as well- keep them up to date about what projects you are doing, invite them to see the studio, the usual stuff- The technical depts at most of the facilities here in Los Angeles keep in contact with their important vendors on a regular basis as well- If you are out of sight, you are out of mind- and you want them to see as an ally, as opposed to someone who just brings problems to their door. They will likely be very helpful.

good luck-

charles maynes

Quote:
Thanks Tom and Charles.

Well in short until we order for the new software (obviously after checking if it will work on our 3rd world redundant Indian machine) we are goners and have to resort to old fashioned method of assembling the entire edit together.

So much for me thinking about forward integration.

I will look into the s/w's reccomended and I wished the Digi dealer in Bombay would pay more attention to us in the meantime....... but cares about menial labourers like us right Digi?

Caio

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:26 PM

Quote:
in 1998 AES began its deliberations on the File Transfer Format standard. i thought AES31-1, AES31-2, & AES31-3 were in 2001. the AES31-4 was last month?
AES-31-2-2006 was published on July 15. I have the document, but it is against the law for me to give it to you. If you are an AES member, you can get it for free. If not, it is $25.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:03 PM

hi chief,

ok, i can concede to that, i am not an authority on it and i know you are secretary of AES new york. i was just trying to reconcile what you were saying with an article i read in 2001 about AES-31-1, 2, & 3... i did research for my own edification and to give some museums some guidleines on archiving their audio.

and no, i don't want you to break the law, i'll pick up my own copy. thanks for the info.

is it right that AES started deliberating about this 1998?

sorry to be off-topic, but our poster got his questioned answered and i am an incorrigible off-topic poster child.
Undertone on Facebook

-Starcrash
Old 08-23-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
hi chief,

ok, i can concede to that, i am not an authority on it and i know you are secretary of AES new york.
Actually, I am the Treasurer.
Quote:
i was just trying to reconcile what you were saying with an article i read in 2001 about AES-31-1, 2, & 3... i did research for my own edification and to give some museums some guidleines on archiving their audio.
I don't doubt that they were bantering about revisions to it then, but I honestly would not know what the numbers with those documents were.
Quote:
is it right that AES started deliberating about this 1998?
Yes. AES31-3-1999 was basically about an EDL. AES31-1-2001 was about disk formats. Why 3 came before 1 I have no idea. So I will concede that I was not entirely correct in light of this.

I know there is a preference to convert imported WAV files to AES31/Broadcast WAV in Pro Tools. Without TFM here, does anyone know if the WAVs created by Pro Tools are AES31/Broadcast WAV?