Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-21-2005, 01:42 AM

Default M-box and laptop...can this Laptop handle it?

i have a m-box and im considering buying a new laptop...my old one is slow and cant handle pro-tools propery...would pro tools be able to run on this laptop?:

Intel 915PM/MXM Centrino™ Alviso teknologi
15.4" WXGA+ med Crystal Clear View teknologi
Nvidia Geforce Go 6600 128MB m./ VGA udgang
Intel® Pentium™ M Sonoma ell. Celeron M processor
4 x USB2.0, 1 x Firewire, 1 x S/PDIF, 1 x Infrarød
Lyd ind- og udgang, 3i1 kortlæser
10/100/1000 Mbit Netkort, 56K modem
Webcam 1.3MP, Bluetooth og TV Tuner
Dockingstation (ekstra tilbehør), TV-Out(S-VHS)
Batteritid op til 2½ time

http://www.zepto.dk/Default.aspx?pag...UcLlxPA6gLnbT5

i know the links is on dansih...but the specs are there
Old 11-21-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Re: M-box and laptop...can this Laptop handle it?

Hmmmm. I suppose it doesnt look bad. I think I have seen better though. I would say that it would probably work for ya. I wouldnt have like 50 sessions going on on it though. It might bog down then.
bluesguy
Old 11-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Avid

It's difficult to tell from those specs, but if this has a Celeron processor, than it is not compatible with Pro Tools.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:00 AM

are celerons still not compatible with pro-tools? because I have a celron, and Pt has worked fine for the past wek, and now its giving me the play back buffer needs to be lowered or raised or whatever. i cannot fivgure out how to fix it. PLEASE I have a project due thursday, help me out! I cant play back ANYTHING.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:28 AM

Hey Jonny!
Are you using Dverb on one or some of your tracks as a plug in while your playing it back?? If you are it will cause the computer to overload even though it shouldnt be and thats why you will get that error. I had the same problem. And no matter how much I raised the cpu limit it didnt matter. My problem was that I had a vocal track that I had a dverb plug in in use. I like to delete and sections in my vocal tracks, and other tracks as well, that I am not playing or singing anything. That way you dont have an open mic going that isnt even in use for about 30 seconds of the song. Makes it sound a lot cleaner. I am guessing this is what you are doing too. A quick way around this is to put a 20 bit dither plug in without noise shaping on. What happens is dverb is trying to create reverb on a track and once it gets to empty space it overloads trying to create an effect on something thats not even being played. So the dither takes that out and you shouldnt have that error anymore. Just put a dither plug in right above any dverb plugins. It will not effect sound quality. Hope this helps man!~
bluesguy
Old 11-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Avid

Celerons are still not compatible with Pro Tools and very likely will never be. We have seen far to many problems with them and, unfortunately, there aren't any easy engineering/software fixes to make them work properly.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:32 AM

Intel 915PM/MXM Centrino™ Alviso teknologi

its a centrino...not a celeron...its in the speca
Old 11-24-2005, 07:45 PM

okay so, i have pro tools 6.7r2 and I had it on my laptop which is a celeron and it worked fine for a week and then it started giving me the infamous "increase (or decrease)the HW buffer size" error. Then I found out that technically pro tools doesnt work on celerons. Bummed but optimistic I installed the program on my buddy's brand new Intel Centrino which has 2gigs of ram. Now he is saying he's having the same problem and when he checks his CPU usage its maxing out. He's desperately trying to record some drum tracks off his VDrums he doesnt have any Dverb or anything on it. Anyone know what to do about this? I saw someone said something about getting rid of some [bleep] in the program files would this help? An answer ASAP would be very much appreciated.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:21 AM

anybody? i coukd really use some help.