Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2011, 03:07 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 discs....

A few months ago I purchased pro tools 9 from Guitar Center, and because they did't have the actual discs in stock they just gave me a download code. It really doesn't affect much except the fact that I have to get online to download it. I have two new setups and don't have internet at the building there in. I also just feel like after paying that much for a program that I would like to have the discs. Which brings me to my question. Is there anyway I could provide my license/serial code and have the discs sent to me? or any other way? and yes I've been back to Guitar Center, and they said go through Avid.

Thanx for your answers in advance!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 discs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Moore View Post
A few months ago I purchased pro tools 9 from Guitar Center, and because they did't have the actual discs in stock they just gave me a download code. It really doesn't affect much except the fact that I have to get online to download it. I have two new setups and don't have internet at the building there in. I also just feel like after paying that much for a program that I would like to have the discs. Which brings me to my question. Is there anyway I could provide my license/serial code and have the discs sent to me? or any other way? and yes I've been back to Guitar Center, and they said go through Avid.

Thanx for your answers in advance!!!
I would never have purchased software from GC. Even if they have what you want (which is rare) what they have is not the latest versions (say PT9 versus PT8). Any way you can get your money back? If so, why not just get PT from someplace like Sweetwater? Your first clue about GC should have been them not having the discs in stock. Don't you have another place you can do your internet downloads from (like from where you're emailing)? You're going to need internet connectivity anyways to get your iLok up and running.

QAPLA!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 AM

There is an easy solution for this. On a computer you have internet access on, download the installer, and any updates. Burn the installers onto a blank DVD. You now have PT9 on discs, that you can take to your other place and install onto the computers.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 AM

You can also purchase replacement discs at the Avid online store.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:43 AM

@musicman691,

I bought PT9 a day or two after its release. So I wouldn't necessarily blame it on Guitar Center. I have also already registered the program. I've had it installed already, but like I said I recently got two new setups. So returning is not an option. I didn't think it would be a huge issue with Avid since i've already purchased the program to send me the discs.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I would never have purchased software from GC. Even if they have what you want (which is rare) what they have is not the latest versions (say PT9 versus PT8). Any way you can get your money back? If so, why not just get PT from someplace like Sweetwater? Your first clue about GC should have been them not having the discs in stock. Don't you have another place you can do your internet downloads from (like from where you're emailing)? You're going to need internet connectivity anyways to get your iLok up and running.
In all fairness to Guitar Center, this is no different than buying the download online from another dealer, or from Avid direct. An activation code is an activation code.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
@musicman691,

I bought PT9 a day or two after its release. So I wouldn't necessarily blame it on Guitar Center. I have also already registered the program. I've had it installed already, but like I said I recently got two new setups. So returning is not an option. I didn't think it would be a huge issue with Avid since i've already purchased the program to send me the discs.
Do I understand that you've already had PT9 installed on a computer, right? If so, why didn't you just copy the download onto a double layer dvd so you'd have a copy of it to load on to another machine?

QAPLA!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:05 PM

That's what I was suggesting.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 PM

@musicman691

I'm sorry we're not all like you. If I had thought it to be a problem at the time I would have. I also just got off the phone with Guitar Center after hearing my issue the store manager called me back to tell me that he would order me the discs free of charge. Problem solved.

Go shoot your gun.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
@musicman691

I'm sorry we're not all like you. If I had thought it to be a problem at the time I would have. I also just got off the phone with Guitar Center after hearing my issue the store manager called me back to tell me that he would order me the discs free of charge. Problem solved.

Go shoot your gun.

Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions.
No need to get snippy. It was only a logical suggestion to do. You'd have had the discs to do the installs at the other locations of your by now.

QAPLA!