Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Default 11R Inputs n/a

I'm on a Mac running lion with Pro Tools 10 and an 11R. I'm trying to record with my 11R as the audio interface but the inputs Eleven rig (l&r), line input (l&r) and digital in (also a left and a right) all say path n/a. The other two inputs (guitar in and mic input) just skip the 11r and use the built in mic on my computer. (BTW that is every single input listed and they are all mono) I've done everything I can think of and it won't fix the problem. Also, when I open pro tools the eleven rack patch building thing (whatever you call it) immediately comes up so I know that the 11r is connected. Yet the 11r doesn't show up under hardware setup or playback engine. for my I/O I just loaded the 11r preset I/O settings. What do I do?
Thanks in advance --stratguy
Old 07-23-2013, 08:27 PM

Default Re: 11R Inputs n/a

1. You need the Eleven Rack selected as the Pro Tools Playback Engine (under Setting>Playback Engine) in Pro Tools. Just because you see the Eleven Rack GUI window does *not* mean you have the Eleven Rack selected as the audio interface aka playback engine. It sounds like you may have the Mac's internal IO (aggregate IO) selected as the playback engine.

2. Go to Setup>IO and on the input, output and bus page hit the "DEFAULT" button.

--

This is pretty fundamental stuff, but not obvious to a new user, you may want to work through the Eleven Rack documentation and tutorials, that will likely save you from similar problems.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 PM

As mentioned, default the IO. You said you chose an Eleven Rack setting for the IO, but that does not mean it is actually the correct settings.

If you want to see this in a video you can go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rjk5qVFEE8

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-24-2013, 12:32 PM

That's what I would have done but 11r does not show up under playback engine. I can only select Pro Tools aggregate I/O, built in input and built in output.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy1114 View Post
That's what I would have done but 11r does not show up under playback engine. I can only select Pro Tools aggregate I/O, built in input and built in output.
Do you have the Eleven Rack Drivers installed?

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...n-Rack-Drivers

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Yes, I have the Eleven Rack drivers.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM

What version drivers? Do you just have them or did you also install them?

Unplug all unnecessary USB devices. Try a different known to work USB cable or two. Try different USB ports, try to use USB2 not 3 ports if you have them.
Did that work? If not...

Unplug the Eleven Rack. Uninstall/delete the drivers. Reboot the computer. Install the latest drivers. Reboot the computer. Connect the Eleven Rack. Does that work?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:37 AM

Okay, maybe this is a pro tools noob comment (because I am definitely a pro tools noob) but if the eleven rack GUI is working fine, then I must have the right drivers, right? I'll try that though.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy1114 View Post
Okay, maybe this is a pro tools noob comment (because I am definitely a pro tools noob) but if the eleven rack GUI is working fine, then I must have the right drivers, right? I'll try that though.
No, very definitely not. They use completely different mechanisms to talk the the Eleven Rack. There are absolutely cases where swapping a USB cable or USB port fixes this, even when the ER GUI works but it does not appear as an interface, and yes, both are running over the same USB wires.

Also make sure you have followed the system optimization instructions (under the help us help you... link above). It is very important to never suspend/sleep your computer and to disable power management so the computer never does this (with the Eleven Rack powered up and attached). As is common with other Avid drivers this can stop the driver working/detecting the Eleven Rack (but the GUI may still work).