Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Arrow ProTools 9 & UAD working together

I recently heard about UAD becoming a third party plugin with avid, but I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything else about it.

I have a UAD-2 card and have trouble with sessions the bigger they get. I can be at around 25% usage @ 256samples, 24 tracks and maybe to or 3 UAD plugins on busses and it will start giving me the "CPU" error. Even at a higher sample rate, it will do the same thing. Anyone else with this problem. Hopefully it will run smoother sooner or later.

Thanks for any feedback.

TG

PT9.0.2
Digi003 Control Surface
Xeon Quadcore @ 2.83Ghz
4GB RAMDDR2
Windows 7 Ultimate
(1) UAD-2 Pcie Card
Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 PM

I've run into similar problems, but have yet to work it out. However, I'm thinking that the issue might br resolved if you uninstall PT, hardware drivers and UAD, restart you PC, then re-install drivers for harware, UAD and then PT, in that order.
That migh sound complicated but from what I'm reading it seems to be a frequent problem for PT 9 to malfunction with drivers.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:24 AM

Default Re: ProTools 9 & UAD working together

Ok Mason..Thanks for the insight. I will give it a try this week. I'll provide a result soon. thanks again.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Avid

From what I understand, UA recommends running Pro Tools at a 1024 buffer when using their cards for optimum performance.

You may also want to try reducing the number of processors dedicated to RTAS in the Playback Engine. Start with reducing it by 1 and continue reducing until the errors go away.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM

Ok. Good to know. Is your info dealing with just PT9? Because when I had Pt8.0.xx installed, it worked fine no matter what number of processors I had in the playback engine. Or the sample rate. I try to keep it at 256 smps and 3 cores. 1024 I could notice latency right away(PT8). I will try those specs with the ADC to see what happens.

Thanks alot!!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:05 PM

Well @Mason, It seemed to work ok for a little while until the cpu usage got up to around 50%, using 2 or 3 cores. @Digi A the start of a session with a few tracks, it works but once I start increasing the tracks, it happens. I still have to drop the sample rate back down to 128 or 256 in order to record without latency. I don't even used 50% of the UAD2 card either. I want to use the plugins I have for it, but I don't want have it stopping on me every other time I press play. Waves, digi-plugins, etc.. are reliable for now until something is solved.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 AM

I'm having issues with two uad-1 cards installed on my PC. If I use Ableton Live, everything's fine. In PT, things are different. If I instantiate two or three uad plugins on the same track, it all works. Instead, if I spread those three plugins on three separate tracks, the gui becomes sluggish. At that point, I take away one core from the playback prefs menu and things get normal again until I add a further uad plugin, at which point I'm back to the sluggish gui.

This is obviously a PT problem. I've tried to set different buffer sizes from 128 to 1024. Live behaves well in all cases but PT not so as I've described above.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
From what I understand, UA recommends running Pro Tools at a 1024 buffer when using their cards for optimum performance.
Which then begs the question, "What's the point of DSP then?" IMHO, it's way past time they go native.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
Which then begs the question, "What's the point of DSP then?" IMHO, it's way past time they go native.

Shane
But a UAD card is such an elegant dongle! UAD coding is so special that only a UAD card can perform the magical processing that brings the plugins alive! They're like virtual 3D plugins in a 2D world!

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
But a UAD card is such an elegant dongle! UAD coding is so special that only a UAD card can perform the magical processing that brings the plugins alive! They're like virtual 3D plugins in a 2D world!

Agreed but I need a more reliable solution whether its PT or UA's fault. At the end of the day I need to get work done. I write music for the media so time is tight and I can't deal with this. All my other native plugs work just fine.

Don't mean to sound arrogant, just frustrated at the state of things...