Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Default MIDI is Maddening!

Hi Everybody! So I bought EZdrummer to help with writing. Love it! Easy setup! Im going along AND then I think, hey maybe I can use ez sounds triggered by my Yamaha(e-drums) DTexplorer. Im on PT11.0.2 Imac Osx
MT. Lion 10.8.5 digi rack 003 and a Korg keyboard X5D. Everything has been working great! (I really start to FREAK when I gotta start changing stuff because PT gives you NO slack!) so, I set up new session. Stereo inst track and put EZ drum on it. record enable. korg plays ez as it should. I try midi out from dtx to thru in korg, nothing. I try midi out to in . same. I then do midi out DTX to in on 003 AND I get everything played from my DTX except my kick plays the snare and snare plays a cymbal. There is no kick sound on any of the pads. I simply changed jack from kick to snare AND I was so close to perfection. Problem is I cant figure out how to find the kick sound without attempting to start changing all kinds of settings. If anybody knows, I'd love to find out. The DTX has nice sounds but EZ drummer sounds are better.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Midi is Maddening!

With ez drummer you have to change the midi notes in your drum brain to the correct notes. There is a sub menu somewhere in ez drummer, maybe under 'help', with a .pdf file of the key mappings.

Superior drummer has options to choose preset note mappings from several drum modules (Roland Yamaha etc) and also you can map your own in superior. so grab it if it goes on sale, I got mine during a promo at audio deluxe website for $80us. It really makes e drumming so much easier and you can still open ezx expansions in superior with more flexibility not to mention the sounds in superior and the sdx packs. I held off a long time but it's worth it.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Thanks Glen! I'll look again at the EZ plugin and see if I can find said menu.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:20 PM

That's one thing that Addictive Drums does better. It has preset midi mapping for Roland and Yamaha electronics. Go into editing on the Yamaha brain and dig till you find how to change the midi note assignment of a pad. I had to do the same to get cowbell or sidestick with my Roland kit

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-09-2013, 11:36 AM

I believe EZ Drummer simply is not made to be setup that way. I will wait and see about superior drummer. For the moment I just double the DTX tracks and put EZmix on one and EQ and compress the other, and it comes out pretty good! Case Closed! Thanks for the replies!
Old 11-09-2013, 12:33 PM

SSD2 is the same. You need to set the DTX brain to send a different note value to get the sound(s) you want to be triggered. Remember that EZdrummer and SD2 are from the same company, so they use the same note assignment. Addictive drums has its default assignment, (which is different from the Toontrack products) but has mapping presets that are made to work with Roland and Yamaha modules. If you take the time to map your kit to fit the plugin, you will be quite happy with the results

BTW, if you click(on the EZdrummer plugin window)on the tiny question mark, select Operation Manual, and the manual will open and you can scroll down to page 13 and see a keyboard with the note assignments shown.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:11 PM

Albee, I found that screen but it says its locked and my DTX would not give me setting options when I was on the trigger setup screen.(my snare stayed on cymbal no matter what I did) My PT learning curve has been one from hell. Thankfully its not a big deal for me (unlike some other PT needs have been). I just wanna have the ability to upgrade my recorded drum sounds when needed, without having to change my main setup or go thru PT/midi hoops. Ill look at addictive drums also. My ultimate fear at this point is messing up my system as it is now. (no issues) EZ drummer is great for writing!
Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zixis9 View Post
Albee, I found that screen but it says its locked and my DTX would not give me setting options when I was on the trigger setup screen.(my snare stayed on cymbal no matter what I did) My PT learning curve has been one from hell. Thankfully its not a big deal for me (unlike some other PT needs have been). I just wanna have the ability to upgrade my recorded drum sounds when needed, without having to change my main setup or go thru PT/midi hoops. Ill look at addictive drums also. My ultimate fear at this point is messing up my system as it is now. (no issues) EZ drummer is great for writing!
Hmm, I feel your pain. Wish I could have advised you before the EZdrummer purchase as Addictive Drums is more than a match(I own ezd, AD and SD2, and like them all). The 2 things that put AD over the top for me are the mapping(made it a treat to use my Roland kit with it) and the way AD allows you to filter the loops for easier searching(I got sick of auditioning a hundred loops to find what I wanted, so I gave up and just played it in from the Roland kit, or an M-Audio Trigger Finger(which took a full day of programming to play the right parts). I can't imagine why you are locked out of editing, unless there is a default lock feature in the Utility menu(that's where I would look, anyway). Glad you are able to get around the issues to do what you want

Old 11-10-2013, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
SSD2 is the same. You need to set the DTX brain to send a different note value to get the sound(s) you want to be triggered. Remember that EZdrummer and SD2 are from the same company, so they use the same note assignment. Addictive drums has its default assignment, (which is different from the Toontrack products) but has mapping presets that are made to work with Roland and Yamaha modules. If you take the time to map your kit to fit the plugin, you will be quite happy with the results

BTW, if you click(on the EZdrummer plugin window)on the tiny question mark, select Operation Manual, and the manual will open and you can scroll down to page 13 and see a keyboard with the note assignments shown.
Actually there's presets for Rolland and Yamaha in SD2, plus several other settings, you have to go into the mapping page and then select the option in the scroll down menu that is just over the piano keyboard that you can use to map the notes. You can right click on the drum set in SD2 articulation window to highlight the right articulation and then click on the Learn button. Hit the pad or cymbal you want to assign to that articulation and voila.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Ive looked at AD and think that's gonna do it. I'm into plug and play. Let whoever I'm paying mess with switches and programs and such. It says on the site compatible with Yamaha DTX. So, that should mean .when it's all set up and ready I choose DTX from the list and it sets it all up automatically?I'm not gonna end up with having my snare trigger sound like a cymbal, right?