Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Dshow Control via IPAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Can you explain a bit more about the benefits of ddwrt? The website is a little vague as about the benefits of changing firmware, especially for Dshow vnc.

Thanks.
No significant benefits for VENUE VNC. Sometimes builtin firmware is even better in terms of Wi-Fi speed.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:12 AM

Pretty much what Tim said. It turns a $50 router into a $300 router with a nice gui and options to do just about anything with it. I have one running my Profile desk, one for the lighting desk and one at home and I never have had to restart any of them because of problems. The vnc has quite a bit of data that gets transferred through the router and DDWRT is solid enough that it can take it.
One of the things I like to use in DDWRT is the auto channel feature. If there are multiple wi-fi routers it will scan for open channels. Also, you can tweak transmit power. You can also have multiple virtual ssid's which you rarely find in consumer grade routers.
Sacramento, CA
Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Got it all working using I teleport and my dlink router....

Although its pretty laggy....

Would ddwrt help that?

It seems like changes get to the console fast but the return to the iPad is delayed. I can change a page on my iPad and it happens on the console with no delay, but the reverse takes a few seconds.

I knw there was a sticky around somewhere on here about console lag issues debut can't find it.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
It seems like changes get to the console fast but the return to the iPad is delayed. I can change a page on my iPad and it happens on the console with no delay, but the reverse takes a few seconds.
That's because VNC needs to send only few bytes to the console to notify about a mouse click, while the console sends back the whole screen contents.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM

Mackie just posted their video Podcast for their new iPad controlled mixer. This is close to what I envision for a proper Venue iPad app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_in07Dj8pkM

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Can you explain a bit more about the benefits of ddwrt? The website is a little vague as about the benefits of changing firmware, especially for Dshow vnc.

Thanks.
When these router manufactures program these routers, they set certain limitations on the devices which can be annoying...prosumer if you will. DDWRT bypasses those limitations, by allowing the user to grab the full potential of the router at hand, and customize it to their liking. For instance, most linksys routers only use 50% of the wireless antenna power. With DDWRT, you are able to increase that to get a stronger signal and possibly more distance out of it; but proceed with caution. Running them too high can drastically decrease the life of the unit. I think they recommend not running them greater than like 70 or 80%.

In addition to that, you can have features emabled such as Static-DHCP, so you can utalize the flexability of a DHCP network without chasing around IP addresses all the time. With some, you can utalize VLANS, monitor activity of network devices, set rules for certain devices...There are many other features, but these are just a few of my favorites.

The first thing I do when buying a new router is load it up with DDWRT first (well, that is a DDWRT compliant router, at least.)

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 05-16-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Got it all working using I teleport and my dlink router....

Although its pretty laggy....
The sticky you are referring to (I believe) is the user interface on the VENUE lags on the desk when a remote is connected. I am still suffering from this, after numerous reinstalls/upgrades, etc. I guess I will just have to learn to deal with it.

A lot of the lag you are experiencing is from the iPad itself. Granted, you are using VNC on Wifi (which has a lot to do with it). Secondly, the iPads have a sucky Wifi card in them...some thing though you can change in the Advanced Settings (which has helped me) is change Colors to "Hundreds" or lower, whatever you are comfortable dealing with and the Refresh Rate to "Fast Refresh" understanding that this may effect you battery life since it will constantly be sending information to and from the desk.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
Mackie just posted their video Podcast for their new iPad controlled mixer. This is close to what I envision for a proper Venue iPad app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_in07Dj8pkM
Greg-I see your point, but I have used the iPad apps for other consoles and I would say they are okay for a few things, but what I need an app for is to remotely control every aspect of the desk while being able to walk the room, repatch stuff from stage and ring out wedges AND manage plug-ins.

You may disagree with me, as many do...but I think VENUE did it right with creating a VNC-based remote app. I can access anything on the desk just as I would sitting behind it, just from now an iPad. This does have its limitations, but I cannot envision how else to remotely control a VENUE console better than this way.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
You may disagree with me, as many do...but I think VENUE did it right with creating a VNC-based remote app. I can access anything on the desk just as I would sitting behind it, just from now an iPad. This does have its limitations, but I cannot envision how else to remotely control a VENUE console better than this way.
I don't disagree that all the functionality needs to be there as it is with VNC. It just needs a more iOS friendly layout with better responsiveness of control. Trying to turn small knobs via VNC works poorly. Having larger controls with good touch response is where it's at. Pinch and zoom on the parametrics would be awesome. The ability to focus on key aspects of channel operation would be really nice with fine control. By all means, keep the patch bay and other option screens. But refine them and make it peppy. You have to admit, that Mackie app looks pretty kickass.

If Mackie can do this with a $900 console, it seems that Avid should be able to come up with something. Granted, it may not be that easy or even possible after the fact. I work for a video hardware manufacturer myself and adding major features like that after the fact is not always possible if the initial architecture is established in such a way to make it impossible. It would be nice to know one way or the other though.

Exclusively at the Miners Foundry
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 AM

Many Venue users, claim a wifi standalone software, I have the same opinion as Greg C, but we can not doubt the ability of Avid, I guess it's a matter of Time that Avid make a standalone software to control wireless D-show.
Imagine that an engineer sets the delay or other things of the Pa while another engineer prepares the scenes, everything is a matter of imagination, Avid can make realize ours dreams.

Excuse my English.