Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-06-2004, 01:38 PM

Default HELP! Pt Le 6.1.1 steals Midi Port from Reason 2.5

I have tried unsucessfully to use Reason 2.5 with Ptools Le 6.1.1. If anyone could help, I would be very grateful.

In my computer, along with Digi001, I have installed a Delta Dio 24/96 audio card in order to play Gigasampler, and now I can also play Reason with it as this card has GSIF and ASIO drivers. I plug the stereo outs from this card into the Analog 3/4 Ins of Digi001. I have also installed Digidesign ASIO driver.

When I installed Reason, on "Preferences" tab, I ckecked Digidesign 001 as Midi Port on both Midi and Advanced Midi tabs . Then I save that, and close Reason.

Then I launch Protools, and on Mix Window, I create a Midi Track and an Audio Track. On Midi track, I configure Midi In from Digi001 (Midi channel 1). Then, on the audio track inserts, I chose REASON as a plugin, and automatically Reason starts. BUT....when it does, a message appears "MIDI INPUT PROBLEM...one or several of the Midi Inputs could not be opened. They might be in use by another application. Open the preferences dialog and check your Midi settings". When I clik "OK", Reason starts, but when I open "Preferences" and check Midi, I can see than Digidesign Digi001 has a big red X.

What I really want to do is to play Reason as a "sound module" from my Midi keyboard (or Midi data from Protools) and been able to record it in Protools.
Am I doing anything wrong? What can I do to make them work together? HELP-SOS-AYUDA-HELP.....
Old 09-10-2004, 01:48 PM

Default Re: HELP! Pt Le 6.1.1 steals Midi Port from Reason

Hi gmusic
I am not an expert, but I had the same problem. What fixed it for me was while in Reason set all midi to "no imput". That is if you are using Rewire.
Hope this helps.
16 gb ram
Old 01-23-2005, 10:13 PM

I"m having this same problem and I have set all midi to no input, Did you ver find a good answer for this problem? Please share it with me.
Thanks [email protected]
Old 01-29-2005, 02:25 PM

You've got it backwards. Reason is trying to steal the MIDI port from Pro Tools. When Pro Tools is launched, it gets exclusive access to the Digidesign interface, including the MIDI ports. This is by design. This is why Rewire is necessary. When using Reason in Pro Tools, you should have no MIDI inputs defined in Reason. Pro Tools is the MIDI input for Reason. Once you launch Reason via Rewire in Pro Tools, make a MIDI track in Pro Tools and point the track's output to one of the Reason instruments. Pro Tools will pass on the MIDI commands from your controller to Reason once the MIDI track is record-enabled.
www.cd-romney.com
www.ncarts.edu/ncsaprod/designandproduction
Old 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Setting the Reason MIDI input to no input is the trick! Let Pro Tools do everything. Make sure that the Instrument panel is viewable in the Mix/Edit window so that you are able to set the input to protools as the reason module of your desire.

Thanks for the tips guys...