Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 10-20-2011, 10:02 PM

Default Plugin Mapping????

I must say that I am SO happy to hear about the Eucon Phase II that was implemented in PT. I have been holding off getting an MC Control for my home edit suite for over a year, I wanted THESE features! Thank you. Thank you thank you.
My last concern before pulling the trigger:

Will I finally be able to use the learn button in the plugins window to make a custom map on the encoders (and faders?) for controlling the plugin parameters?

If not through the learn button, has it been made possible in any way?

With only 8 knobs I want to be able to layout my parameters across the encoders exactly how I see fit.

THANKS AGAIN. BRAVO
Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Plugin Mapping????

I would like to know this and more. found this at sweetwater
"Pro Tools 9 introduced EUCON support, but that was just the beginning. Pro Tools 10 introduces over 500 newly supported functions that you can control with EUCON. Any command you can access from Pro Tools' pull-down menus (not just those with key commands) is now available to you via your EUCON-equipped control surface. Pro Tools 10 also introduces EUCON support for the Avid XMON system with System 5-MC.. Whether you use an affordable Artist Series controller or a full-blown System 5-MC system, you'"
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 10-21-2011, 09:34 PM

Looks like in PT10 the learn buttons on plugs aren't there anymore
Old 10-24-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
Will I finally be able to use the learn button in the plugins window to make a custom map on the encoders (and faders?) for controlling the plugin parameters?

If not through the learn button, has it been made possible in any way?
Yes..... my question exactly..... plug ins are pretty much a mess on Eucon with PT9........ what has changed in 10???? Any early adopters that could help?? I watched the AVID video on Eucon but it never mentioned Plug ins!
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 10-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Depends on your definition of a mess. The artist series does not work like a midi console - and neither do most of the others. so 'midi learn' never would have worked...

I've used the artist series since day one. They have always worked this way:

for accessing the plugin via insert mode, you get the plug in laid out on the knobs the way the plug in manufacturer laid it out...not always the most intuitive, but until recently, avid made sure only their consoles would allow you to reorder them.

In PT9:
hit the EQ button, and no matter which plug in you are using, the EQ features are put up on the knobs in a standard way. I can't list its order off the top of my head, but you'll get the hang of it in no time - such an easy way to do the EQ by feel without worrying about which plug in you are using at that time.
hit the dyn[amics] button, and you get a similar layout, but for the dynamics part of the plug in.

This concept is even better on their large format consoles, where you have a whole strip for each channel...and can adjust the same eq band on separate tracks at the same time, on the same location of the strip!

In PT10, I can imagine only greater support...hears looking out for when I get mine!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 PM

True but not quite the whole story. When using insert mode not all parameters are there for all the plugs.

When using eq mode you can get the parameters in order but they don't have all the parameters (the ones they have are in much better order then the insert route) plus some eq plugs are not recognized as eq plugs such as IK multimedia.

The ability to adjust plugs is a big deal using a controller. It is what would make the series feel more like a real console and is the reason most people want one. While the artist series does a good job, the ability to be able to write a plugin screen they you want for any plug would be a giant leap forward. That way if the manf. did not program them or program them poorly you could fix it. After all you own the plug and the artist control. you could do your favorite plugs and have a layout that you like.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 10-25-2011, 11:34 AM

Agreed...but how many consoles other than the ICONS currently allow changing the order of parameters? We should get that on EUCON soon...since its Avid owned now...but alas...

And I've only seen missing parameters in the EQ/Dyn modes, and they usually make sense - things that are outside the realm of a 'normal' EQ chain or a normal dynamics chain..etc....but maybe we're not using the same plug ins.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Agreed...but how many consoles other than the ICONS currently allow changing the order of parameters? We should get that on EUCON soon...since its Avid owned now...but alas...
You can use the learn button in the plugins menu on almost every other Avid branded control surface. That's the big plus of buying one. One reason I stayed away from the Euphonix Artist series. But then when Avid bought them and implemented Eucon, I started waiting for he day the artist series was added to the list.

I say almost all control surfaces because I haven't tested them all but here's the ones I have tested and know that in a matter of seconds I have map a parameter and have it on any encoder fader on the surface: Command 8, Digi 002/003, M-Audio Axiom Pro Keyboard, D-Command and D-Control. What am I missing the Project Mix? I bet that probably does it too.

Now the interesting thing is that with the Axiom Pro Keyboard they made this function available. Then a few months later when they released the next gen of Axiom keyboards they added the feature. So its got to be easy to implement. (This previous paragraph was just from my research and I haven't tested the newest gen of Axiom keyboards)

So I don't think it is too much to ask for this feature.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 PM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe

I just got Altiverb 7 (released today!) and the parameters are all over the place on the Artist Control knobs pages.

For example, half the "waterfall view" camera control are on page 1 and the other half on page 2. That means the zoom and x-y-z axis are on page 1 but the rotation on page 2. Also the other parameters are in a slightly chaotic order.

I agree that customizing the order in which those parameters appear would be a welcomed feature.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:08 PM

I have talked to tech support about this and plug-in mapping is not possible with this protocol. I feel your frustration. But I just switched over from a Command 8 and i find the Artist series to be so much better. My 2 cents.