Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2001, 01:59 PM

Default Re: ProTools 5.0.1 Hanging???

I know this is elementary, but where is your memory size for DAE and PT. Make sure you give'em ample (depending on how much you have to give) mine is set at 130mB per. Also, make sure the minimum is set at factory minimum. To get back to factory minimum, put a 0 in the box and press enter. That got me once. I don't know if this will help, but whenever my system does that, it's usually a memory bog after I upgrade and forgot to reset my memory buffers.

Good luck.
Mark
Old 01-10-2001, 03:13 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Strider:
I know this is elementary, but where is your memory size for DAE and PT. Make sure you give'em ample (depending on how much you have to give) mine is set at 130mB per. Also, make sure the minimum is set at factory minimum. To get back to factory minimum, put a 0 in the box and press enter. That got me once. I don't know if this will help, but whenever my system does that, it's usually a memory bog after I upgrade and forgot to reset my memory buffers.

Good luck.
Mark
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mark
I have 256MB memory in total. I have given DAE 80MB and PT 90MB but it doesn't make any difference. The session I am running when it hangs is not using any plugins. It is just audio (16 tracks).

Regards
Dave
Old 01-10-2001, 03:18 PM

Thanks Mark,
I have 256mb in total and have allocated 80mb to DAE and 90mb to Protools. The session I am running when it hangs is not using any plugins it only consists of audio (16 tracks).

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-10-2001, 10:43 PM

I had this problem. Make sure TCP/IP is not set to DHCP server. If it is, move it to BootP server, and the problem should go away.

Also, how long did you wait before you rebooted? After 30-45 secs, my system would return to me... so maybe we didn't have the same problem... but it's worth a try.

[This message has been edited by uno1234 (edited January 10, 2001).]
Old 01-11-2001, 12:20 AM

Default ProTools 5.0.1 Hanging???

My ProTools System keeps hanging. The Audio continues to play but the screen hangs/stops along with the Mackie HUI. The only thing I can do is reboot - the transport functions and all screen functions just freeze. Anybody have any ideas?

thanks
Old 01-11-2001, 02:50 AM

Could be the way your Hard Drive is formatted - use the ATTO Express ProTools 2.3.2, and optimise for Digital Audio. Don't use any Lacie Hard Drive software ! (he said, from bitter experience...)

Also, USB keyboards/mouses (mice?) can hang or crash under Mac OS 8.6 (had this happen a lot recently on our b/w G3 350s). OS 8.6 doesn't fully support USB (though Apple won't tell you this) - suggest an upgrade to Mac OS 9.0.4 to fix this, if you can (but NOT 9.0 straight, or 9.1... yet...as latter requires Virtual Memory 'on' as a basic system requirement...).
Old 01-11-2001, 03:42 AM

Thanks Guys,
I have found the problem - I installed a new ORB backup system (SCSI) In the manual it tells you that you do not need to terminate it - BUT YOU DO. I have just bought a termination plug and it seems to have cured the problem.

Thanks for all your help - I appreciate it.

Happy year 2001