Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-22-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Problem creating new session

Hey guys,

I'm running ProTools LE 6 on OSX, and am encountering a problem creating a new session.

When I go to save the new session (and thus begin it), I am faced with the following message:

"Session must be on an audio record volume."

Any suggestions? I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

Thanks in advance.

cheers
Old 06-22-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Problem creating new session

This is an FAQ.. check the drive is set up as a record drive in the Workspace Window.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-22-2005, 05:46 PM

I am having the same problem, and am unable to find a satisfactory answer in the FAQ. I've posted in another string and don't want to cross post, so you can see details here:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...ev=#Post843695
Old 06-22-2005, 09:01 PM

I've checked the FAQ, but I'm experiencing the same problem, still. For reference, this is the entry:

----
This can happen for different reasons.
1) Check hard drives in the workspace (in Pro Tools, go to the Windows menu and choose 'Show Workspace') and make sure the ( A ) column to the right of the drive is set to ( R ) and not ( T ) or ( P ).
2) Trash the Digidesign Databases folder on all hard drives.
3) Trash Pro Tools preferences files. USERS/username/library/preferences/Pro Tools preferences
4) If you have run the "restore" or "reinstall" of OSX and choose the save applications and files option, Pro Tools will not function correctly upon being restored, one symptom would be the error as noted in the subject "The drive cannot be designated as an Audio playback/recording volume because this is not a valid audio volume" Solution is to run the uninstaller from the Pro Tools 6x CD, repair disk permissions on the drive (use the Apple Disk Utility located in MacHD>Applications>Utilities) and reinstall. Pro Tools at that point reacquires the drives as record volumes.
----

My drives are, indeed, labeled as ( T ) instead of ( R ), but it won't let me switch them, classifying them as unacceptable for recording.

Weird.

Hope to find an answer soon.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:24 AM

OK, so I've done everything on the FAQ, and I also re-formatted my drive. However, I was unable to re-format the drive as 'Unjournaled'. The drive is a Hitachi 372.6 GB ... wonder if there is a firmware issue.

Anyway, it still isn't working and I am dead in the water.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Avid

You've reformatted using the OSX Disk Utility as Mac OS Extended?

You should also use the Disk Utility to repair permissions on your system hard drive.

If that doesn't fix it, consider using a system utility like Cocktail or Onyx to run cron scripts and clean caches on your computer.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Issue resolved. Thanks for all the help! (this was an issue with Tiger OSX for me, which fixed itself with the newly released patch)

Cheers