Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Re: "You are trying to run a newer version of Pro Tools than allowed" error launching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydbildet View Post
Thank you for your reply, musicman691!

See the attached screenshots.

No. 1 is taken after I first start ILM.
No. 2 shows what happens when I plug in my iLok2.
No. 3 shows information about the account that I don't recognize
No. 4 shows information about my account that is not active.
Best as I can make out picture 2 doesn't show that you have selected an iLok. So what it shows is bogus. You really need to keep your iLok plugged in at all times. Hot plugging isn't always a good thing.

Picture 3 shows an iLok icon I don't recognize. Do those license assets mean anything to you?

Picture 4 is the one that is important. This question is important - what version of PT did you have before you got PT12.8.2? If something like PT12.7 you need to download a new iLok license asset. Start the ILM software WITH your iLok plugged in and press the sync button. That may well load the current license asset to your iLok. Not sure if you have to do something with your Avid account to get the new license asset.

And for what it's worth the manager software that PT uses is pure garbage. Most people have deleted it and manually check for updates.

And for the sake of us all - when you post screenshots in the future please make sure they are NOT blurry like the ones you posted. You can review a post before actually posting it to see if the post actually is the way you want it.

QAPLA!
Old 11-18-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Re: "You are trying to run a newer version of Pro Tools than allowed" error launching

BScout:

It is correct that I have an old plan in my iLok2 that has expired. I purchased a new license a few weeks back, and received a new activation license on my iLok.

But, I only have 1 iLok2. That is the strange thing! Where the red iLok comes from, I have no clue. The only iLok I have plugged in to my computer is the one I have my PT-license on.

Musicman: I am sorry for the quality of the screenshots. I will work on finding a better way to show them. They appear fine on my computer, but maybe this forums crops the images somehow when I upload?

I have followed all the upgrades from PT 12.8 to 12.8.2.

The iLok on picture 3 is unrecognized by me, and shows up when I plug in my iLok. That is what I don't understand.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:31 AM

I started my computer, and opened ILM. Apparently, my support-message regarding my trouble with iLok-accounts to iLok must have been read, because the look of my iLok has changed, and the red iLok that I didn't recognize is gone.

So, maybe all my problems was based on a problem with the licenses.. frustrating though that managing a computer system takes up more time than actual use of the system..

Not sure if the image is better for you guys now, but I have tried to crop it before exporting and attaching it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ILM_5.jpg (27.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydbildet View Post
I started my computer, and opened ILM. Apparently, my support-message regarding my trouble with iLok-accounts to iLok must have been read, because the look of my iLok has changed, and the red iLok that I didn't recognize is gone.

So, maybe all my problems was based on a problem with the licenses.. frustrating though that managing a computer system takes up more time than actual use of the system..

Not sure if the image is better for you guys now, but I have tried to crop it before exporting and attaching it here.
Good that it somehow got sorted. The blurry look has nothing to do with cropping but now you do the screenshot. Some systems & methods just don't produce good screenshots for whatever unknown reason. Also the two ways of putting up an image here vary greatly in quality. The best quality seems to come from posting an image that's hosted on a cloud server like DropBox or such. The best way I can describe it is like the quality difference between a 128 kbps mp3 and a .wav file

QAPLA!
Old 11-18-2017, 02:01 PM

Well, I got my system up and running once, shut it down to be social, and when I went back to fire it up again everything is back to the same as it was before. My own iLok is listed as offline, the one I don't recognize is the active one, and I can't go back to work.

I am getting so tired of ILM and Avid...
Old 11-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Possible explanations are

There is another iLok connected ... is this your computer? Any chance there is an iLok installed inside the case?

and/or your iLok is faulty... if you can get it to work and see your latest license on this or any other computer then I would transfer the licenses to a new iLok (always have a spare iLok, esp. if you want to use ZDT).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 03:01 PM

And if that does not work I would start an broken iLok RMA return. Trying to mess around with this more is likely wasting time.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Possible explanations are

There is another iLok connected ... is this your computer? Any chance there is an iLok installed inside the case?

and/or your iLok is faulty... if you can get it to work and see your latest license on this or any other computer then I would transfer the licenses to a new iLok (always have a spare iLok, esp. if you want to use ZDT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And if that does not work I would start an broken iLok RMA return. Trying to mess around with this more is likely wasting time.

I'm beginning to wonder if at one time or another if someone installed some hacked s/w or something that emulates an iLok? Not saying the poster did it but maybe someone else?

What would be illuminating is if the poster can take the iLok to another computer with ILM installed and see what shows. If things are okay then I doubt it's the iLok itself. If that happens I'm tempted to say to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything.

QAPLA!
Old 11-18-2017, 05:46 PM

Possibly could also be a remote iLok if somebody has installed software like VirtualHere. Again, if say using somebody else's computer in a studio anything is possible.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:41 AM

Thank you for taking your time to answer my posts! Highly appreciated :)

I have installed ILM on my laptop, and plugged my iLok in and opened the program there. Everything looked fine on my laptop. I synchronized my iLok and moved it over to my studio computer. I was then able to access "my" iLok from ILM there also. Then I synchronized the iLok on the studio computer also, and were able to open Pro Tools!

I have not dared to turn off my computer since. Now I am able to finish the work I needed to get done at least. I'll go out and by a spare iLok tomorrow, and take it from there..

I have all original software on my studio computer. I have previously reinstalled the OS and started with clean and new SSD-drives both for system and audio. Where the other iLok-account that shows up comes from is a huge mystery. I work on my own, have never taken the computer out to any other studio, and didn't have any of these problems prior to installing PT12.8...

Once again, thank you so much for helping me out!