Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-11-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Can I move Plug-ins from an HD to LE system?

Hi

Having been a long time HD user, I recently bought an LE system to make parts of my job a little more mobile, allowing me to spend a little more time at home (Yippeee)!!!

I was wondering if all those lovely plug-ins I've bought over the years are able to be used on my LE system or do I run the risk of breaking something, or at the very least hurting something quite badly?

Or is it on a plug-in by plug-in basis, some will and some won't. Mainly I'm hoping the waves stuff will come over, because we all enjoy what the 'C4' can do for us in post!!!

Thanks
Old 10-11-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Can I move Plug-ins from an HD to LE system?

You can install plugins into two different systems but will only be able to use one system at a time. Your licenses are stored in your iLok license key, which must be there when you work.

There is one thing to consider; not all HD plugins have RTAS and AS versions, so naturally they won't work with LE. But every plug that has RTAS version and stores its license on iLok will surely work on both systems.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:32 AM

Thanks

I realise the ilok would have to come with me, although I'm always worried about walking around with it. It's the last piece of kit I think any of us would want to lose, 'zero downtime' or not?

Cheers
Al.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:
I'm always worried about walking around with it.
Yep, but it gets easier over time. I do live projects and at first I was worried about if someone broke/lost the key, but I stop worrying about it once I realised everything else can also break or get lost so it's nothing special in that regard.

But do take extra care every time you insert and remove the key. It doesn't have to bend much to break it. Being careful is worth more than worrying
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 PM

yep you're so right JFreak, but i gess we'll all agree on this point : that ilok stuff is really not made for travelling and being plugged/unplugged
Mac Pro 2x 2.66GHz 6-Core / 96 Go Ram / PE6R4-i - HD Native - Tempo Sata Pro 6Gb - PTHD : 10 / 11 /12 / Ultimate till 2022.5 - 192 i/o Digidesign - MTPAV - OSX : 10.4 / 10.5 / 10.6.8 / 10.8.5 / 10.9.5 / 10.11.6 / 10.13.6 / 10.14.6 - PowerMac G4 MDD / Pro Tools HD 5.3 / 6 / 7.4x / 8
Old 10-11-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
ilok stuff is really not made for travelling and being plugged/unplugged
Well, yeah. The key could have been made stronger to begin with, and now that the majority don't use the license key anymore, they could release a version without that feature which would make the key shorter and therefore stronger as well. I bet most people would buy that instead of the current long one.

But it's actually great for travelling. Compared to carrying several racks full of equipment, I do prefer carrying one iLok key. Sure, I need to be careful not to lose it; but then again, I have to keep an eye on my passport as well and I have never lost it anywhere. And surely there are more criminals interested in a valid Finnish passport than a plastic license key, and neither my passport or my iLok has never been stolen.

It's just something one needs to pay attention to. No biggie. But if there was a stronger key for sale, I'd buy two instantly.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Compared to carrying several racks full of equipment, I do prefer carrying one iLok key.
And with the Venue think about all those tour tech that will lose their job!

Oups, I forgot about the PA and the light kit.

JC