Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-03-2010, 03:18 AM

Default AAF import trouble where PT8 works just fine

Now here's one I'd love to get explained:

I received an aaf, created on avid, which, when opening in Pro Tools 9 (on MacBook Pro) gives me the "some renderings where missing" announcement, I save the report - which turns out to be rather useless, because the timecodes the report refers to are simply silly (the session starts at 9:00:00:00 and is about 3 hours long) - See example (not the entire report):

Missing renderings
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A2<02:00:00:00>no rendering for transition effect: ;substituting a cut.
A6<223:02:04:20>no rendering for transition effect: ;substituting a cut.
A8<91:15:31:05>no rendering for transition effect: ;substituting a cut.

The tracks exist though, and they do contain audio. I yet have to figure out, if anything on these tracks is wrong though, but that's not the issue of this post.

Here's what screws me up:

Nothing in the report mentions anything about any problem on a track A1

But there are three entire regions and their audio files missing - which is in this case 40% of all audio on Track A1. Just not there. Not reported missing, no regions without audio files. Nada. As if they never were there.

When opening the AAF on Pro Tools 8 though, Pro Tools has no problem whatsoever, no report on any missing effects, all audio files where they should be.

Avid, guys, can you please help me?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 AM

Default Re: AAF import trouble where PT8 works just fine

In case somebody else is having trouble, I'm posting my "solution" here: I got in touch with Avid directly, they checked the AAF i had trouble with and here's what they answered (Bottom line: Be careful with AAF and PT9.0, if you can, for AAF import better use PT8.x):

---Snip----

I have been able to reproduce the problem with the missing regions between Pro Tools HD 8.1 and v9. We have been able to open the AAF in a beta version of the next Pro Tools 9 release, which is due over the next couple of months without any issues.

So, it appears that this is is an issue (possibly so far unrecorded) that has been fixed in the next release of Pro Tools 9. With this in mind it may be that you'll need to revert to v8.1 in the meantime if this issue is affecting your workflow severely, before going onto v9 when the next version is released.

Sorry I can't offer you a workaround today other than reverting to v8.1, but the good news is this appears to have already been resolved from what I can see. I would be very interested to hear whether your Editor is using subclips in the Media Composer project, as there is a known issue in v 8.x and 9.0 that causes regions to be omitted or truncated. This issue will be fixed in the next release of Pro Tools 9.

---Snap---

(note: unfortunately I couldn't get information about how the AAF was created, so we don't know if an Avid-editor can help in any way the way he handles the audio files..)
Old 09-26-2011, 07:48 PM

Default Re: AAF import trouble where PT8 works just fine

I also have had this same error message when importing AAFs created in Pyramix, however I have only had the problem since upgrading to 9.0.5. I import AAFs from Pyramix on a regular basis (the facility I work at uses both DAWs side by side) and never once had a problem importing on 9.0.3, but had repeatable problems with every AAF openned on 9.0.5

The missing data was fades - a handful of fades were deleted from every AAF when going through the material in detail on 9.0.5.

I have since reverted back to 9.0.3, and all is well