Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2014, 09:51 PM

Default WIFI Router / Moden and EUCON classing - IP ISSUES

everything was fine till we got this new modem/router from comcast.
all of a sudden eucon started saying "network error" and i cant connect my mc mix, mc control and transport...

it works when i turn down the WIFI for internet...

I am on MAC OS yosemite and using static IP and a switch to connect my avid surfaces...
i use the IPs: 10.0.0.2-3-4-5 for Eucon and Controllers...
My WIFI says i am using 10.0.0.217 for IP...

Should set a static IP for internet, i tried 192.168.03...all worked fine but than i realised i couldnt open most of the webpages...eucon was working fine...
Any ideas, i dont know much about IPs and network settings...
Old 12-29-2014, 03:59 AM

Default Re: WIFI Router / Moden and EUCON classing - IP ISSUES

Here is what we did :

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...onger-connects

Eucon 3.2 and up can Not connect via Wifi anymore so read these articles and see if you get back up again.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...rue&popup=true

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-29-2014, 05:21 AM

Also, you really should have your Eucon devices on a dedicated network, not one that is shared with your Internet connection, other computers, etc.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-29-2014, 09:55 AM

Get over it, man...

If you mix traffic, however slight it may be, there could be a problem from the mixed traffic.

If you use a dedicated network, there will be no mixed traffic, ergo, no mixed traffic problem.

If, as you claim, there is so little traffic from Eucon, why does Avid have a built-in DHCP server on their S6 surfaces, and a note strongly recommending that you use a dedicated network in the installation manual.

So, you think you're smarter than the people who design Eucon?

I'll put it to the users this way...you have two choices:

You can do things the way both I and Avid recommend, which gives you a configuration that makes it absolutely impossible to have problems from mixed traffic.

Or you can do things the way this other dude recommends, where you have mixed traffic, and where problems are seen all of the time.

I think most users are smart enough to make the correct choice...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-29-2014, 01:02 PM

ok guys, thx for all the info and help...

some questions: a dedicated network for control surfaces...what does it mean? should i break the connection to WIFI and internet when i use my avid stuff?

actually i solved my problem, i am using dinamic ip for the surfaces (DHCP activated on all 3 surfaces) and there is no connection errors anymore...

is there an advantage of using static ip? speed or any other stuff?

was my issue IP related? if i had given IPs like 192.168.0.1-2-3-4, would this have also solved my problem? both my wireless modem and surface IPs were starting 10..0.0... can it be the problem? i am trying to understand...
Old 12-29-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
S6 v Artist? Hmmm.

Plonk
Eucon v Eucon?

Again, get over it...

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-29-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anason-records View Post
ok guys, thx for all the info and help...

some questions: a dedicated network for control surfaces...what does it mean? should i break the connection to WIFI and internet when i use my avid stuff?

actually i solved my problem, i am using dinamic ip for the surfaces (DHCP activated on all 3 surfaces) and there is no connection errors anymore...

is there an advantage of using static ip? speed or any other stuff?

was my issue IP related? if i had given IPs like 192.168.0.1-2-3-4, would this have also solved my problem? both my wireless modem and surface IPs were starting 10..0.0... can it be the problem? i am trying to understand...
Note: in this example I am referring to logical networks, which is basically just a means of arranging networks and devices. A physical network refers to actual "infrastructure", such as wires, switches, routers, etc. You can have multiple logical networks running on a single physical network.

IP addresses are associated with logical networks and are in the format xxx.xxx.NNN.DDD

The xxx.xxx part of the address begin the process of "narrowing down" to a specific network, NNN identifies the "network number", and "DDD" identifies the specific "device" (also called a "host"), which is typically a computer, printer, or similar device.

While it's pretty much self-evident that a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx address and a 192.168.xxx.xxx address are on two different networks, a 192.168.1.xxx address and a 192.168.2.xxx are also on two different networks.

Devices on different logical networks cannot communicate directly with each other, even if they might be on the same physical network.

Consider a router and a computer, connected with a network cable. If your router has an address of 10.1.1.1, and your computer has an address of 192.168.1.2, they cannot communicate.

So, if your router has an address of 10.1.1.1, all of the other devices on that network must also have an address of 10.1.1.xxx, and no two devices can have the same number in the xxx position.

I hope this clarifies things a bit...

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-29-2014, 03:46 PM

i have a swicht for the avid devices and a router/modem for wifi internet...

my question was: i can give the switch any IP, right? so if i gave the switch and surfaces an IP starting with 192... would this solve the conflicft/issue i had...since the WIFI internet router/modem has the ip starting with 10....
thx
to be more specific:

my router is 10.0.0.1 and my com is 10.0.0.217 (for this session)

my switch for avid devices was 10.0.0.2 and devices were static IPs 10.0.0.2-3-4 and i had network errors. was it an IP conflict. since i chose dynamic IP for eucon all works.

Back to my question in the last message, can i give my switch 192.168.0.1 and devices 192.168.0.2-3-4 ? would they than function also with static ip without network errors? thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Note: in this example I am referring to logical networks, which is basically just a means of arranging networks and devices. A physical network refers to actual "infrastructure", such as wires, switches, routers, etc. You can have multiple logical networks running on a single physical network.

IP addresses are associated with logical networks and are in the format xxx.xxx.NNN.DDD

The xxx.xxx part of the address begin the process of "narrowing down" to a specific network, NNN identifies the "network number", and "DDD" identifies the specific "device" (also called a "host"), which is typically a computer, printer, or similar device.

While it's pretty much self-evident that a 10.xxx.xxx.xxx address and a 192.168.xxx.xxx address are on two different networks, a 192.168.1.xxx address and a 192.168.2.xxx are also on two different networks.

Devices on different logical networks cannot communicate directly with each other, even if they might be on the same physical network.

Consider a router and a computer, connected with a network cable. If your router has an address of 10.1.1.1, and your computer has an address of 192.168.1.2, they cannot communicate.

So, if your router has an address of 10.1.1.1, all of the other devices on that network must also have an address of 10.1.1.xxx, and no two devices can have the same number in the xxx position.

I hope this clarifies things a bit...
Old 12-30-2014, 07:14 AM

If you would pay attention, you would see that, unlike you, I have learned something new about the situation.

It is not the volume of the traffic per se...it has to do with the mix of Eucon and ordinary Ethernet traffic.

Please try to keep up...

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-30-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
It is not the volume of the traffic per se...it has to do with the mix of Eucon and ordinary Ethernet traffic
How is Eucon not ordinary Ethernet traffic? There's nothing special about Eucon that I'm aware of, it's just another IP based system isn't it?

Pete