Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 03:00 AM

Default How can you download demo plugins?

I bought the Upgrade Plus to HD7.0. Digidesign offers the choice of 2 plugin-s from a list of six. How do you get hold of demo licences for all six plug-ins to be able to make a proper choice? Sorry for the newby question guys.

Stephen
Old 06-04-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: How can you download demo plugins?

Quote:
How do you get hold of demo licences for all six plug-ins to be able to make a proper choice?
Stephen,

Digi, in their infinite wisdom, has not allowed demos of their own branded plugins via iLok. If you go back in the DUC, you'll see that I posted about this in November, 2005 -- and the response from Digi was that it would take "a few weeks" to put iLok demo auths in place... it's been a very long "few weeks".

Many of us have relied on our fellow DUC members to help us choose (I did, and I am happy with my choices). Obviously, not a great solution, but better than just taking a wild guess...

A suggestion: make a new post -- Tell us about what kind of audio you make, and what you have/don't have (plugs and hardware) -- what do you think you want, etc... you'll get a bunch of qualified opinions, and somewhere in there, your answer will take shape.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but unfortunately, until Digi allows temp demo auths, is a partial workaround.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:13 AM

Jeremy,

Many thanks for your reply - indeed, I saw a post re DINR - thought there might have been an update on the situation.

We currently have these plugins: Wave Gold bundle - URS complete set - Phoenix.

Musically we do small jazz sessions, Hiphop / RnB programming and mixes / Pop-Rock recording and mixing. Jack of all trades really.

I think I want the Smack! compressor for that RnB vocal compression sound etc... The difficulty is that I have no idea what the Synchronic does. Is it useful for programming - is there a huge sound-library that comes with it?...

My choice would be between the Synchronic, the ReVibe Reverb and the Pultec Bundle. We already have the Truverb and R-Verb via thae waves package (we also have a PCM 70) Is the ReVibe absolutely "blinding"?

URS does the "Fulltec" Eq - Does the Pultec bundle bring more to this kind of Eq sound?

I look forward to you opinion. BTW what plugs did you choose?

Thanks again

Stephen
Old 06-06-2006, 06:47 PM

Stephen,

Many have been faced with your very dilemma. Not surprisingly, they’ve discussed it here on the DUC. Here’s a direct link to a thread which seems to answer many — if not all — your questions:

El Linko Muy Rapido

Incidentally, I found it by entering the following string on the DUC’s Search page: “+DINR +ReVibe” (omit the quotes). I mention this because…

a) You’re new to the DUC, and…

b) There are other threads tackling the subject (although, perhaps, none as ultimately useful than the one I linked).

For what it’s worth, I chose ReVibe and Smack! I already owned DINR, and my needs (mixing) were better served by these two.

A lot has ben written about DINR — most of it getting more and more negative as competing products appeared on the market over time. As I said, I own it (along with a few competing entries), and I am not as critical of it as others are. Like for other classes of plug-ins, there is no single best noise reduction solution. What shines for one application might fail for the next one, and yesterday’s goat may indeed save the day next time. (There are a few usage tips in DINR’s manual which have proven to be solid gold and are well worth being taken to heart.)

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 06-06-2006, 08:07 PM

Stephen,

I chose ReVibe and Smack! and I am very happy with my choice.

In addition to the thread Andre pointed out, there have been at least 4 or 5 LONG threads on "which plugs should i get from the bundle". I have been accused of being a Digi cheerleader, but not having demo auths for plugs is one issue I've been consistently vocal on... you'd think they'd have made it happen 7 months later... whatever... best of luck.