Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2023, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Adding Playlist View to MIDI Tracks

Yes, it is a necessity!

This might be helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/protools/co...the_clip_list/
Old 07-21-2023, 12:13 PM

so crazy. its the simplest feature request that would only help. no downside. cmon
Old 07-26-2023, 09:55 AM

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Skylar: That is an interesting workaround that you offered to the thread. I have been experimenting with it. It’s not perfect but is does help my workflow. I personally haven’t used the CLIPS LIST much with my work but now I have a reason to use it. Also, the Command Option K (Cntl Alt K – Windows) hint to show the “auto-created” clips made during Punch Ins helped too. Thanks.

I’m using ProTools Studio 2023.6 Windows version. I don’t claim to be a ProTools expert, so I like to simplify things. One way to do this would be:

1. Loop record on the MIDI track

2. Select the MIDI clips created during the loop record from the CLIPS LIST of the Edit Window

3. Drag them to the TRACKS LIST of the Edit Window
- This will create a new MIDI track for each MIDI loop recorded in the main Edit Window. It will look similar to Playlist View. You can Mute and Solo each track as needed.

4. Assign output from each new MIDI track to the input of the original Virtual Instrument
- In my case the outputs from each new MIDI track did not perfectly route to the original virtual instrument/drums but that was easy to resolve.

5. Use one of the new MIDI tracks or create a new MIDI track as a comping target.

6. Copy, Paste, Merge, Fix and Consolidate to the MIDI comping target track as needed.

Of course, depending on the situation, there are lots of ways to do this.

Any other suggestions are also appreciated. I am curious how everyone else worked around this problem. I agree with everyone and hope Avid improves the MIDI editing in the future. MIDI editing just seems simpler in other DAWs.

Cymian
Old 07-26-2023, 10:01 AM

The only thing I'd add is that you can select the all of the MIDI tracks and hold Option Shift to route them to the correct virtual instrument all at the same time, but everything you said is pretty much what I do as well.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:32 PM

+1 on this feature. I've usually edited midi elsewhere and would like to do this all in the PT workflow, so I searched and found (here) the feature indeed isn't present and I'm not crazy. Appreciate the workarounds. I suppose that having track folders now could make that a bit more palatable. It's a slightly sick feeling to know that this isn't implemented in the normal playlist workflow yet, though.

Pro Tools Shortcuts App for iOS and Android
Old 11-16-2023, 03:41 PM

Reviving this - biggest MIDI "issue" in PT IMO workflow-wise compared to any other DAW. Can we expect implementation for this at some point in a future version?
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 11-16-2023, 05:34 PM

Avid,

Please make this one a priority. It is so tedious finding workarounds because this feature is missing.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-20-2023, 06:29 PM

The sounds from the crickets are deafening. I'm afraid that this fruit will die on the vine........Again

Cymian
Old 11-20-2023, 06:44 PM

Let’s hope not! This feature really is that important for those using MIDI to produce. None of this Pro Tools Sketch stuff (respectfully) can be nearly as important as just integrating a MIDI comping feature. Logic seems to have a similar issue where you cannot use their “quick swipe” system for MIDI or instrument tracks but Ableton has identical MIDI and audio comping which is pretty cool. I encourage anyone with a support plan to call and mention it Also if anyone with a social media presence in these communities could mention it that might be helpful. For what it’s worth, Avid Link hasn’t been working for me lately so I can’t check the status of feature requests there. It’s always been quite slow compared to just using this forum.
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4
Old 11-21-2023, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
Let’s hope not! This feature really is that important for those using MIDI to produce. None of this Pro Tools Sketch stuff (respectfully) can be nearly as important as just integrating a MIDI comping feature. Logic seems to have a similar issue where you cannot use their “quick swipe” system for MIDI or instrument tracks but Ableton has identical MIDI and audio comping which is pretty cool. I encourage anyone with a support plan to call and mention it Also if anyone with a social media presence in these communities could mention it that might be helpful. For what it’s worth, Avid Link hasn’t been working for me lately so I can’t check the status of feature requests there. It’s always been quite slow compared to just using this forum.
I dunno. I am concerned with the development of Sketch. It feels like existing users' music-making concerns have been back-burnered in a big push for new users, with different ideas of how music should be assembled.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro